oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Barnsley 2-0 (Sporar, Crooks)

I enjoyed the match last night. We look decent when we play on the ground instead of high balls to nowhere. I know it doesn’t suit Warnock’s new narrative about having no defenders, but McNair is very classy at the back, I much prefer him there to MF. Thought Howson and Peltier were good as well. 

We haven’t had a player with the universal backing of the crowd for years. It’s fantastic to see it with Payero. People genuinely want to see him do well, there’s excitement when he gets into good positions and not one moan or groan if he misses a pass or makes a mistake. I think that’s really giving him added confidence. I think there’s still a lot more to come from him but it’s exciting to see him making this progress. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue that Tav has is everything he tries is ambitious and pretty high variance, so he's going to look like a genius at times and a greedy so and so at others.  But the thing that's great abo

Crooks looked great in that deeper midfield role. His footwork and intelligence with the ball is really under rated. I was disappointed with Tav again. It looks more and more like he's playing for him

Regardless of Warnock, our style of play and our hopes for the season I have to say after the past few games I am delighted we picked up Bamba. Not only a dressing room influence, but a reliable leade

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

Much nicer to wake up in the morning after a Boro win!

Ooops I repeated myself😃

Yeah, extra spring in my step this morning as well for the second time in a few days, Mind you its pay day for me as well so that could be a factor! Not sure how anybody could have a moan after that, We created loads of chances. Could have & should have won about 8-3!  Very entertaining game. A mention for the officials as well. I thought they were excellent. How often have we said that this season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

What it does show is how greedy Tav is at times others in scoring positions had he looked.

I was shouting at the screen each time he got the ball in an attacking position - so wasteful with long shots rather than trying to create.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, macapes said:

I was shouting at the screen each time he got the ball in an attacking position - so wasteful with long shots rather than trying to create.  

It's a percentage game for him, one or two will result in a goal eventually but for the most he does not look for others in much better positions the highlight yesterday clearly showing that.

It is frustrating but I understand why he does mess up so much possession when he has the ball

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Didn't watch, didn't listen but from reading the very basic Sky Sports updates and this thread it sounds like we weren't great and just like Peterborough it was a case of Barnsley being so much very worse than us?

Still, i'll happily take the 3 points and it seems like Payero has found his groove. Funny how that happens when you actually play him, eh Neil?

I watched the whole thing and wouldn't agree with that tbh mate. If the Peterborough game had ended 0-0 I don't think we could have really complained... and I don't think we would have won without the penalty.

Last night we started slowly but honestly should easily have scored 4 or 5. We played some okay stuff at times and the game itself was a world away from the boring slog of Saturday. To say Watmore missed a sitter is an understatement... it was a Christmas comedy DVD moment. And of our 21 shots, many were good positions or 1v1s and blazed over the bar.

Barnsley had two good chances to score, both from unforced errors (Bamba slipping and Lumley spilling an easy to gather save). But yes overall Barnsley were very poor and the most open side I've seen in a long time - however we did exploit their weaknesses once we changed early to four at the back. First game this season where we had an actual central midfield - Crooks and Payero forming a nice partnership.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

It's a percentage game for him, one or two will result in a goal eventually but for the most he does not look for others in much better positions the highlight yesterday clearly showing that.

It is frustrating but I understand why he does mess up so much possession when he has the ball

He seems to lack composure as well when a chance presents itself, He really needs to improve on that aspect of his game to step up to the next level. Tremendous energy & drive though. Still young and will improve i have  no doubt.

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/middlesbrough-vs-barnsley/video/447490

Not as long as the Peterborough highlights

What it does show is how greedy Tav is at times others in scoring positions had he looked.

Bamba may have a case but would have been the slightest of touches!

Watmore will always be known for that miss of the season.............so far! To actually highlight it shows how bad it was!

Thanks for that 

40 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

It seems that through an injury crisis Warnock has stumbled on selecting a team that can win games and score more than once a game. Lucky guy.

See if this sort of team and formation can put it in against better teams .

Neither match has been the same team.

I am certain we'd have won last night without the injury crisis, it's nothing to do with stumbling on a team.

Payero has benefited from the injuries as it's ensured he's starting, but I'd say that's about it.

Edited by TeaCider24

Very enjoyable game after we settled into it..  bit ropey at start, but after first few minutes, it was a case of how many are we going to win by rather than can we win and we really should have been out of sight by half time. A few poor decisions with regards to shooting instead of passing and vice versa but on the whole, a decent performance. Barnsley unrecognisable from last year and could be in real trouble if they can't sort things out quickly but fair play to them, still tried to play football rather than spoiling. Solid display from Peltier, good midfield linking with Matt and Mart and noticed them chatting on several occasions so even if it is Spanglish, they were obviously able to get their points across. Crooks might not be everybody's cup of tea, but he puts himself about and glad he got appreciation when subbed off. Tav very hit and miss but did his bit and might have got a penalty on another day (liked NW's pantomime dive when it wasn't given). Only very minor worry was that on several occasions wingbacks were left isolated and led to easy access to our area BUT.. we won a game we deserved to win against a team that was struggling..  nice change and hopefully more of the same on Saturday. Growing confidence nice to see, on and off the pitch :

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I watched the whole thing and wouldn't agree with that tbh mate. If the Peterborough game had ended 0-0 I don't think we could have really complained... and I don't think we would have won without the penalty.

Last night we started slowly but honestly should easily have scored 4 or 5. We played some okay stuff at times and the game itself was a world away from the boring slog of Saturday. To say Watmore missed a sitter is an understatement... it was a Christmas comedy DVD moment. And of our 21 shots, many were good positions or 1v1s and blazed over the bar.

Barnsley had two good chances to score, both from unforced errors (Bamba slipping and Lumley spilling an easy to gather save). But yes overall Barnsley were very poor and the most open side I've seen in a long time - however we did exploit their weaknesses once we changed early to four at the back. First game this season where we had an actual central midfield - Crooks and Payero forming a nice partnership.

I mentioned in previous posts about decision making especially Tav shooting when a pass is a better option. The same can be said releasing the ball earlier instead of the one on ones.

I watched the match again and the shots off target, blasting over or wide is astonishing for professionals. Arguments can be made that we created the chances and I would agree but both goals were headers.  

Watmore can’t have slept well last night and probably won’t for quite a few more as he relives what must be miss of the season. I replayed it over and over and it seemed to come off the front of his foot rather then slotting it home with a side foot. A rush of adrenaline maybe, who knows. Watmore possess a good threats so hope it doesn’t affect his confidence. Tav was very lively putting defenders on the back foot. 
Apart from the first 15 mins and the last 25 mins we recycled the ball well, and in there half and kept the ball down. The last 25 min was baffling and dangerous and why I give credit to NW in the first half, I am critical of the latter. 

• Like 1

Watching the highlights, it looks like we could have had a hatful. Nice to see us creating good chances for a change, and even the best manager can't legislate for a player missing an open goal from four yards out. That was Gestede-esque by Watmore, and it's a shame, cos he had a good shot in the first half and has generally played well this season.

As for whether Bamba got the final touch, it looked like it was going in anyway, so I'm not inclined to give him the goal. Either way, it was a good team goal, which is something we haven't often seen this season.

Let's hope the players are bursting with confidence after two wins and two clean sheets, keen to make it a hat-trick against Cardiff.

1 minute ago, RiseAgainst said:

Watching the highlights, it looks like we could have had a hatful. Nice to see us creating good chances for a change, and even the best manager can't legislate for a player missing an open goal from four yards out. That was Gestede-esque by Watmore, and it's a shame, cos he had a good shot in the first half and has generally played well this season.

As for whether Bamba got the final touch, it looked like it was going in anyway, so I'm not inclined to give him the goal. Either way, it was a good team goal, which is something we haven't often seen this season.

Let's hope the players are bursting with confidence after two wins and two clean sheets, keen to make it a hat-trick against Cardiff.

Apparently Cardiff were much improved performance wise even though they got beat. Will be interesting to see how we fare against them. If we win i will deem the potential run as not a fluke...