oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Barnsley 2-0 (Sporar, Crooks)

Crooks looked great in that deeper midfield role. His footwork and intelligence with the ball is really under rated. I was disappointed with Tav again. It looks more and more like he's playing for himself. He's such a greedy player at the minute that it's detracting from the team effort. An improvement from Payero, he's on the right track but that's about as much as i'd give him so far. His positioning is still off and i don't think he's quite match fit yet either. Jones needs to improve his decision making and end product, but he's young so that'll come.

In my opinion we're still less than the sum of our parts but at least we're actually winning games. I'd have been shocked if we didn't pick put up wins against Barnsley and Peterborough mind.

Edited by Humpty
  • Like 6
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue that Tav has is everything he tries is ambitious and pretty high variance, so he's going to look like a genius at times and a greedy so and so at others.  But the thing that's great abo

Crooks looked great in that deeper midfield role. His footwork and intelligence with the ball is really under rated. I was disappointed with Tav again. It looks more and more like he's playing for him

Regardless of Warnock, our style of play and our hopes for the season I have to say after the past few games I am delighted we picked up Bamba. Not only a dressing room influence, but a reliable leade

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

According to this website, it's pronounced peer-oh. I think different interpretations are drawn from people trying to pronounce a Spanish-oriented name in their own regional English accents, in the same way I've endured some mildly comical attempts by foreigners to pronounce my own (Scottish) surname.

https://www.howtopronounce.com/payero

I know what you mean,In ireland Niamh is pronounced Neeve & Siobhain pronounced Shivaan! Lee Mack did a brilliant sketch on it. 

• Like 1

A better performance last night. Really like Crooks in the middle, seems to be helping Payero along aswell, which is a huge positive. I must admit though, while only being 1 up it definitely had a feel of those missed chances coming back to haunt us, especially with the Watmore miss! What I did like was how Watmore picked himself up and put in an extra 10% in for the rest of his game. Didn’t hide away, that was nice to see.

As for Tav, he’s a strange one. I always like him in the team but he’s not really producing much at the minute. We look like a better team with him in it, ideally centrally. 

Onwards and upwards but it does concern me that they still had some decent chances (the Bamba slip & Lumley fumble) so it could have been different. I’m not Warnocks biggest fan but apart from being on the pitch and putting those missed chances away, there wasn’t much else he could’ve done. Let’s hope it’s the start of a run we need!

5 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Crooks looked great in that deeper midfield role. His footwork and intelligence with the ball is really under rated. I was disappointed with Tav again. It looks more and more like he's playing for himself. He's such a greedy player at the minute, that it's detracting from the team effort. An improvement from Payero, he's on the right track but that's about as much as i'd give him so far. His positioning is still off and i don't think he's quite match fit yet either. Jones needs to improve his decision making and end product, but he's young so that'll come.

In my opinion we're still less than the sum of our parts but at least we're actually winning games. I'd have been shocked if we didn't pick put up wins against Barnsley and Peterborough mind.

Interesting that you criticise one player for his greed/decision making and then excuse another's due to his age. There are 3 months between the two. I realise you probably meant experience levels since Tav has been around the team for longer, but they still are very much both very young players. 

Tav gets such a hard ride, like a lot of the other young players we have in the team (Spence the obvious one). His shooting was wild last night but he was still our most consistently dangerous player and constantly found himself space and got in good positions. He's got more to add to our game but he doesn't deserve all the criticism he gets imo. 

• Like 4

Crooks put in a superb performance and thoroughly deserved a goal in the end. Hard to believe how we could spend so much more on Saville when I'd put them at a similar level. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Interesting that you criticise one player for his greed/decision making and then excuse another's due to his age. There are 3 months between the two. I realise you probably meant experience levels since Tav has been around the team for longer, but they still are very much both very young players. 

Tav gets such a hard ride, like a lot of the other young players we have in the team (Spence the obvious one). His shooting was wild last night but he was still our most consistently dangerous player and constantly found himself space and got in good positions. He's got more to add to our game but he doesn't deserve all the criticism he gets imo. 

Age is irrelevant. Experience at the level they’re playing is key, as is their respective known capabilities. We know what Tav has in his locker and he’s not showing it. I saw someone tweet about Tav being well aware he’s got a big move coming up in the summer and I think that guy on twitter is right.

• Like 1

I thought Crooks gave the ball away way to cheaply on multiple occassions last night. I didn't see him as a standout myself but. Bamba was MOM for me again. Tav frustrates as he's got stacks of ability but lets himself down on the finishing at times. Mcnair solid as ever. Payero is settling is very nicely. Watmore leaves much to be desired imo. Not a great player. Peltier was decent too

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

With Tav, is it more the pressure of high expectations than people having a dig?

We know how good he can be, so despite his age I think many expect him to be our talisman and best player on a more regular basis. He was injured for ages and the team is underperforming in general, so I don't think he's done too bad in the circumstances.

I'd like to see him kick on in terms of goals and assists as the season progresses though - he's got the talent to be our main man week in, week out.   

8 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

With Tav, is it more the pressure of high expectations than people having a dig?

We know how good he can be, so despite his age I think many expect him to be our talisman and best player on a more regular basis. He was injured for ages and the team is underperforming in general, so I don't think he's done too bad in the circumstances.

I'd like to see him kick on in terms of goals and assists as the season progresses though - he's got the talent to be our main man week in, week out.   

But where has the expectation come from? I don't think he's performing any worse than at any other point of his Boro career. He's never been prolific with goals or assists (not a criticism, he's still young) so why are we expecting him to be that player?

He's obviously a very talented player and he shows that on a consistent basis. But he hasn't yet found his end product imo, and he never has - so I don't think it's really fair to place that expectation on him. People might be disappointed he hasn't developed like they had hoped he would, but he hasn't regressed or anything like many seem to be trying to say. 

23 minutes ago, EstonSmog said:

A better performance last night. Really like Crooks in the middle, seems to be helping Payero along aswell, which is a huge positive. I must admit though, while only being 1 up it definitely had a feel of those missed chances coming back to haunt us, especially with the Watmore miss! What I did like was how Watmore picked himself up and put in an extra 10% in for the rest of his game. Didn’t hide away, that was nice to see.

As for Tav, he’s a strange one. I always like him in the team but he’s not really producing much at the minute. We look like a better team with him in it, ideally centrally. 

Onwards and upwards but it does concern me that they still had some decent chances (the Bamba slip & Lumley fumble) so it could have been different. I’m not Warnocks biggest fan but apart from being on the pitch and putting those missed chances away, there wasn’t much else he could’ve done. Let’s hope it’s the start of a run we need!

Good to see you posting again ES been a while

• Thanks 1

The issue that Tav has is everything he tries is ambitious and pretty high variance, so he's going to look like a genius at times and a greedy so and so at others. 

But the thing that's great about him is he never looks like a passenger in games, even if he's having a bad game going forward he's always putting in a shift defensively. 

• Like 7
46 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Seriously, why do some people pronounce pay as peee in Payero?

No more jokes, please .. 

I am actually interested in this, as I study English to become an English teacher 🙃

I think its just the North East accent. Teesside is a mix of Yorkshire and Geordie.

They'd certainly say Peeyero on Tyneside. No accounting for Neil Maddison's pronounciations! 😂

England is a nation of one language but many accents. 😉 Around Manchester and/or Scouseland they'd probably say puhyeeerowww (our kid). In Birmingham its probably poyerrouww.

Are there many different Danish accents?

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think its just the North East accent. Teesside is a mix of Yorkshire and Geordie.

They'd certainly say Peeyero on Tyneside. No accounting for Neil Maddison's pronounciations! 😂

England is a nation of one language but many accents. 😉 Around Manchester and/or Scouseland they'd probably say puhyeeerowww (our kid). In Birmingham its probably poyerrouww.

More Mackem than Geordie, tbh

13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thanks for the info, mate .. It's quite interesting. 

Do cops go on peee-trol as well? 

Do they support New England Peeeetriots? 😊 Would above mentioned accent areas pronounce like that? It's the PA sound i find annoying when it's peeeeee 😂

Yes, there are many dialects in Denmark .. 

My West coast dialect has similar grammar to English and similar words to Scottish..  Which the rest of Denmark  don't understand .. total gibberish 😊 

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

I thought Crooks gave the ball away way to cheaply on multiple occassions last night. I didn't see him as a standout myself but. Bamba was MOM for me again. Tav frustrates as he's got stacks of ability but lets himself down on the finishing at times. Mcnair solid as ever. Payero is settling is very nicely. Watmore leaves much to be desired imo. Not a great player. Peltier was decent too

Really? Not my take at all. Thought there were a few times where he was in a tight spot and the easy option was to clear the ball into the channel for Sporar/Watmore/Tav but he didn’t take it. Turned back and played into midfield which made a nice change. I’m sure he may have given the ball away on occasions but his impact on the game was there for all to see.