oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Barnsley 2-0 (Sporar, Crooks)

13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think its just the North East accent. Teesside is a mix of Yorkshire and Geordie.

They'd certainly say Peeyero on Tyneside. No accounting for Neil Maddison's pronounciations! 😂

England is a nation of one language but many accents. 😉 Around Manchester and/or Scouseland they'd probably say puhyeeerowww (our kid). In Birmingham its probably poyerrouww.

Are there many different Danish accents?

The Teesside accent is actually heavily influenced by the Irish due to a big influx during Teesside’s industrial boom. If you’ve ever been confused for an Irishman when you’ve met someone new, now you know why 😉

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue that Tav has is everything he tries is ambitious and pretty high variance, so he's going to look like a genius at times and a greedy so and so at others.  But the thing that's great abo

Crooks looked great in that deeper midfield role. His footwork and intelligence with the ball is really under rated. I was disappointed with Tav again. It looks more and more like he's playing for him

Regardless of Warnock, our style of play and our hopes for the season I have to say after the past few games I am delighted we picked up Bamba. Not only a dressing room influence, but a reliable leade

Posted Images

Crooks gave the ball away, but probably took it off them more often than he gave it away.  Tav  thinks that he is more capable than he actually is, he scores 1 goal from outside the box and suddenly he thinks he is Riyad Mahrez.  If he simplified what he was doing he would be a better player, I think a lot of his misses have come from pressure from NW wanting more goals from the midfielders.
The lack of backup for Jones was frustrating last night, the ball came to him and there were 2 or 3 players there to stop him delivering and nobody came close for the easy ball leaving him no option but to take them on, this inevitably led to him losing the ball......fair play to him when he only had the one man to beat, he did it every time.
Movement in the middle of the park is terrible when we 'play' it out from the back, the players move into space and wait for the ball, but instead of moving somewhere else when they dont get it they just stay there.....move into space ffs and if you dont get the ball move somewhere else.........pass-move-pass-move-pass-move, i dont know why we are so stationary, its frustrating!
Payero is slowly starting to fit, there is still times where he looks lost more so when we dont have the ball and on occasions he can be seen looking around for his man or more focused on getting back to where NW expects him to be, i think he needs to relax a little and play his own game, only then will see him shine.

Finally.......Go for the win! 20 mins to go and i was starting to get the feeling that they would equalise, we were starting to waste time on the throws etc, it was almost as though we were happy with 1-0.  We could have have and probably should have been 3-0 up at half time, maybe more, Barnsley were there to get hammered last night and our lack of urgency prevented us from putting them to the sword.

Cardiff at the weekend, despite their poor form I fear that we may get bullied by them.....lets hope not as 3 wins in a row with an injury riddled team would be very nice and put us within grasp of a playoff place.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Humpty said:

The Teesside accent is actually heavily influenced by the Irish due to a big influx during Teesside’s industrial boom. If you’ve ever been confused for an Irishman when you’ve met someone new, now you know why 😉

Never been mistaken for an Irishman...and to be honest I can't hear any Irish influence in the accent. Be interesting to get Blanco & Leesiders' takes on this.

I got immediately recognised as a Southerner with my Cambridge accent. Though after a few years living on Teesside I picked up the accent.

Then when I moved back south the reverse happened. 😁

I thought the Irish got pretty much everywhere, since it was mainly their navvies (navigation engineers) who built the canals and railway network?

Edited by AnglianRed

With regard to pronunciation SD, it has reached the stage where we are so mixed that there are no real standard pronunciations in a lot of cases, wife came over here in the eighties and she was amazed by the variations of accent in the country and often in the same town or even the same family (apparently I am not as cultured as my sister). The so-called standard English that was taught in schools in the past is understandable to most but there is no consistency to pronunciations in reality and word meanings change very quickly. I am old enough to remember when being wicked, filthy and bad weren't good things and Fred Flintstone could have a gay old time with Barney Rubble but one of the interesting things about English is that we steal words from anywhere we go (or went) in the world and most people don't know they are speaking Arabic, Hindi, Malay, Russian, Hebrew, Algonquin or Irish, it's a living language and the best answer I can give is don't worry too much about pronunciation in most cases, as next to nobody says the same word in the same way (unless it is their second language). It's aaaaaaaaaaaard werk 🙂  

• Like 3

I've always thought Boro's accent sounds more Scouse than Geordie (that'll be the Irish influx), but that's possibly because I'm from here so the differences between the Geordie and Teesside accents seem much greater to me than to somebody from further away.

17 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Really? Not my take at all. Thought there were a few times where he was in a tight spot and the easy option was to clear the ball into the channel for Sporar/Watmore/Tav but he didn’t take it. Turned back and played into midfield which made a nice change. I’m sure he may have given the ball away on occasions but his impact on the game was there for all to see. 

He played well i just didnt see the hype is all. 

• Like 1

Whilst I completely agree that Tavernier's shooting and decision-making needs to improve, it's important to recognise that he still was our key creative spark last night - particularly in the first half. He had far more of an impact on the game than Jones, for example, yet he's not had anywhere near the level of criticism. In the first half at 0-0 Tavernier made a great driving run and slipped an excellent through ball for Sporar to be played through 1-on-1 which he should have scored from. Even in the build up to the corner that Sporar scored with a header from in the second phase, that corner came following pressure that came through Tavernier being dangerous and getting two shots at goal in quick succession.

Tavernier's grit, energy and movement makes things happen - it's just that he struggles with decision-making and end product. Him being able to make things happen increasingly highlights his shooting weakness. Credit to him that he doesn't let his mistakes knock his confidence as he still continues to try to make things happen as you never see his head drop like a lot of young players do. Defensively he done his job very well and has had to play massively out of position at RWB in recent weeks yet he just gets on with it and tries his best for the team, so he's a key team player for us.

He really needs to work on his technique and decision-making when striking the ball as it has always been very hit-and-miss. Concerningly, I've seen no improvement in this over the past few seasons. I'd be intrigued to know whether we've worked in detail with Tavernier on it as it's clearly an area that he needs to improve on. Jones needs to work on this too as his shooting from all positions is very weak. In fairness, I think all of our attackers and wide players - aside from Sporar - have poor end product. I'd put Tavernier, Ikpeazu, Hernandez, Jones and Watmore. Though this is a key reason why they're all playing in the Championship and we're a Championship side. 

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 5
16 minutes ago, Humpty said:

You should be honoured!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I used to go to away matches on a regular basis, one of the funniest things was the looks of confusion on home fans faces when they started to chant "We hate the Geordies" and our lot joined in 

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Never been mistaken for an Irishman...and to be honest I can't hear any Irish influence in the accent. Be interesting to get Blanco & Leesiders' takes on this.

I got immediately recognised as a Southerner with my Cambridge accent. Though after a few years living on Teesside I picked up the accent.

Then when I moved back south the reverse happened. 😁

I thought the Irish got pretty much everywhere, since it was mainly their navvies (navigation engineers) who built the canals and railway network?

I went away for a year round the world in around 2012 and i had a about a third recognise Irish/scouse, a third recognise a north east accent and the remainder was generally scottish/northern.

https://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/2014/07/jonnie-robinson-lead-curator-for-sociolinguistics-writes-this-month-weve-uploaded-linguistic-descriptions-of-conversations.html

https://wordcat.co.uk/accents-are-magical-all-about-the-middlesbrough-accent/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0013838X.2013.780855?journalCode=nest20

4 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Whilst I completely agree that Tavernier's shooting and decision-making needs to improve, it's important to recognise that he still was our key creative spark last night - particularly in the first half. He had far more of an impact on the game than Jones, for example, yet he's not had anywhere near the level of criticism. In the first half at 0-0 Tavernier made a great driving run and slipped an excellent through ball for Sporar to be played through 1-on-1 which he should have scored from. Even in the build up to the corner that Sporar scored with a header from in the second phase, that corner came following pressure that came through Tavernier being dangerous and getting two shots at goal in quick succession.

That through ball should have been made earlier, it forced Sporar to take a touch which took him wider than necessary and allowed the defender to close ground on him.  Tav only played the ball because he couldnt get the ball on his favoured left for the shot.
There was also the chance where Tav fell over in the box, twice! Again he couldnt get it on his left for the shot......as you have stated his decision making is sometimes dubious.

17 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

When I used to go to away matches on a regular basis, one of the funniest things was the looks of confusion on home fans faces when they started to chant "We hate the Geordies" and our lot joined in 

You'd think after decades of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Ant & Dec being on prime time TV and now the Hairy Bikers, most people would recognise a Geordie accent.

...and Alan Shearer doing MOTD...

4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You'd think after decades of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Ant & Dec being on prime time TV and now the Hairy Bikers, most people would recognise a Geordie accent.

They do..  its spoken by everyone north of Watford..  distinctly remember Shearer on about his Christmas turkey being bootiful 🙂

• Haha 1