oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Barnsley 2-0 (Sporar, Crooks)

8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You'd think after decades of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Ant & Dec being on prime time TV and now the Hairy Bikers, most people would recognise a Geordie accent.

...and Alan Shearer doing MOTD...

I think it's more the fact that there aren't many Teessiders on national telly. There certainly weren't many way back when.

Bob Mortimer doesn't count, he hasn't sounded like "one of us" since the 90s. Steph McGovern perhaps? Mark Benton possibly but he tends to play a Geordie a lot anyway.

Though quite amusingly when I auditioned for Byker Grove there were a lot more people from Boro there than I had expected, who thought that their natural accent would be acceptable and actually acting wouldn't be necessary...

• Haha 1
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue that Tav has is everything he tries is ambitious and pretty high variance, so he's going to look like a genius at times and a greedy so and so at others.  But the thing that's great abo

Crooks looked great in that deeper midfield role. His footwork and intelligence with the ball is really under rated. I was disappointed with Tav again. It looks more and more like he's playing for him

Regardless of Warnock, our style of play and our hopes for the season I have to say after the past few games I am delighted we picked up Bamba. Not only a dressing room influence, but a reliable leade

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Though quite amusingly when I auditioned for Byker Grove there were a lot more people from Boro there than I had expected, who thought that their natural accent would be acceptable and actually acting wouldn't be necessary...

Well it worked for Ant & Dec...the "not needing to act" bit... 😉

Wow - to think it could've been PJ, Duncan & Denzel... 😁

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Well it worked for Ant & Dec...the "not needing to act" bit... 😉

Tbh they were probably the "Geordiest" of the entire cast. Well, them and Donna Air.

Seriously, look up the IMDB profiles of the cast over the years, barely any of them were actually from Newcastle.

1 hour ago, p_mards said:

He really needs to work on his technique and decision-making when striking the ball as it has always been very hit-and-miss. Concerningly, I've seen no improvement in this over the past few seasons. I'd be intrigued to know whether we've worked in detail with Tavernier on it as it's clearly an area that he needs to improve on. Jones needs to work on this too as his shooting from all positions is very weak. In fairness, I think all of our attackers and wide players - aside from Sporar - have poor end product. 

For once I was there early and saw the shooting practice that Boro did before the game. Ball rolled back to them gently so they could take the most straight forward shot from around fifteen yards. There was probably only a third actually on target with an awful lot blazed over. If they are doing that without a defender trying to close them down, it isn’t surprising to see the poor shooting in matches. I would really have expected better from championship players.

as far as Tav is concerned, a lot of criticism for shooting instead of passing - fair enough, but who knows if Neil has told him to shoot more? He may just be following instructions.

1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

Crooks gave the ball away, but probably took it off them more often than he gave it away.  Tav  thinks that he is more capable than he actually is, he scores 1 goal from outside the box and suddenly he thinks he is Riyad Mahrez.  If he simplified what he was doing he would be a better player, I think a lot of his misses have come from pressure from NW wanting more goals from the midfielders.
The lack of backup for Jones was frustrating last night, the ball came to him and there were 2 or 3 players there to stop him delivering and nobody came close for the easy ball leaving him no option but to take them on, this inevitably led to him losing the ball......fair play to him when he only had the one man to beat, he did it every time.
Movement in the middle of the park is terrible when we 'play' it out from the back, the players move into space and wait for the ball, but instead of moving somewhere else when they dont get it they just stay there.....move into space ffs and if you dont get the ball move somewhere else.........pass-move-pass-move-pass-move, i dont know why we are so stationary, its frustrating!
Payero is slowly starting to fit, there is still times where he looks lost more so when we dont have the ball and on occasions he can be seen looking around for his man or more focused on getting back to where NW expects him to be, i think he needs to relax a little and play his own game, only then will see him shine.

Finally.......Go for the win! 20 mins to go and i was starting to get the feeling that they would equalise, we were starting to waste time on the throws etc, it was almost as though we were happy with 1-0.  We could have have and probably should have been 3-0 up at half time, maybe more, Barnsley were there to get hammered last night and our lack of urgency prevented us from putting them to the sword.

Cardiff at the weekend, despite their poor form I fear that we may get bullied by them.....lets hope not as 3 wins in a row with an injury riddled team would be very nice and put us within grasp of a playoff place.

I would tend to agree as the difference between us is 2 wins and 1 draw. Given we just produced 2 wins from two bottom clubs and made a meal of it does not suggest we are miles better. There is no given in this league and turning up just won’t cut it. I expect more from Cardiff and less opportunities so let’s hope our players remember L is for Left &  R is for Right when putting there boots on. 

• Like 1

Can just imagine how it might have been if Harold Godwinson had won the Battle of Hastings and decided to make Gateshead his new capital..  No more corgis, all the aristos would have whippets and the Queen would have a ciggie in her mouth, Curlers in her hair and a fur coat (but no ....), stottie cakes would be served as the main course at all the banquets and Christopher Robin would be Poet Laureate..  only snag is national anthem would be something by Jimmy Nail 😞 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, liambell42 said:

Anyone else think.howson was solid yesterday? Got into some good positions with the ball and made some good tackles/passes 

Yes he played well. Did a good job at right back, got up the line often to support our midfield. I quite like him as a right back, centre midfielder not so much.

5 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

For once I was there early and saw the shooting practice that Boro did before the game. Ball rolled back to them gently so they could take the most straight forward shot from around fifteen yards. There was probably only a third actually on target with an awful lot blazed over. If they are doing that without a defender trying to close them down, it isn’t surprising to see the poor shooting in matches. I would really have expected better from championship players.

as far as Tav is concerned, a lot of criticism for shooting instead of passing - fair enough, but who knows if Neil has told him to shoot more? He may just be following instructions.

I am glad I’m not the only one that seems baffled by the accuracy of shots and it’s something i am interested in and will make a point of looking through stats later. Body over the ball, low with power, lean back high. Inside boot left, outside right or has coaching changed these days. 

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Never been mistaken for an Irishman...and to be honest I can't hear any Irish influence in the accent. Be interesting to get Blanco & Leesiders' takes on this.

I got immediately recognised as a Southerner with my Cambridge accent. Though after a few years living on Teesside I picked up the accent.

Then when I moved back south the reverse happened. 😁

I thought the Irish got pretty much everywhere, since it was mainly their navvies (navigation engineers) who built the canals and railway network?

I agree with you, i dont get any hint of an Irish accent at all, By the way we have dozens of accents as well, I sound nothing like my fellow Corkman Roy Keane for example ( Thank God). 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Funnily enough….. No 🤷‍♂️

Hope you dont sound like Katie Taylor! Strange accent that but i wouldnt say that to her face

Edited by Leesider
Addition
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

I am glad I’m not the only one that seems baffled by the accuracy of shots and it’s something i am interested in and will make a point of looking through stats later. Body over the ball, low with power, lean back high. Inside boot left, outside right or has coaching changed these days. 

After writing my original comment about terrible shooting accuracy I watched highlights of MU and Atalanta. Rashford first three shots were as bad and off target as most of ours. Fourth one was a beauty  though and scored. So perhaps the overall point is that most players/teams need to have  at least 10 or 12 attempts to score a couple of goals. (Ronaldo on the other hand had four attempts and four on target  - still “only” one goal though!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Didn't watch, didn't listen but from reading the very basic Sky Sports updates and this thread it sounds like we weren't great and just like Peterborough it was a case of Barnsley being so much very worse than us?

Still, i'll happily take the 3 points and it seems like Payero has found his groove. Funny how that happens when you actually play him, eh Neil?

I think for like the final 35 minutes of the first half we were really good. Second half we tailed off a little bit, especially after we changed shape again and went back to the 3 at the back.

5 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

I really don't understand what Barnsley were trying to do defensively last night. It was utter chaos. Fanatical commitment to a high line.

Was speaking to a Barnsley fan on reddit about this and apparently this is a huge problem for them. Their manager refuses to adapt or make any changes to a style that clearly isn't working, they create barely anything and leak goals due to their high line.

1 hour ago, liambell42 said:

Anyone else think.howson was solid yesterday? Got into some good positions with the ball and made some good tackles/passes 

Because he spent like 70%+ at RB, where he was actually pretty good. Think he struggled during his time in CM, yet again. Whether it's at RB he can see the whole game in front of him or what but he definitely looked far more comfortable there. 

4 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

I thought Crooks gave the ball away way to cheaply on multiple occassions last night. I didn't see him as a standout myself but. Bamba was MOM for me again. Tav frustrates as he's got stacks of ability but lets himself down on the finishing at times. Mcnair solid as ever. Payero is settling is very nicely. Watmore leaves much to be desired imo. Not a great player. Peltier was decent too

Wait, really? For me, Crooks was far and away the best player on the pitch! He was absolutely top notch last night I thought.

• Like 1