oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

I like Tav and agree he can be influential in that he is direct and likes to run at teams, which can lead to us having good attacking play, but more often than not his end product has not been very good either blazing shots wildly over the bar or tamely straight at the keeper.  His crossing/set pieces aren't much better. He is still only 22 and can still improve though. So for me if the money is good then I'd sell him and use it to bring in players that are a better fit to wilders team.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I'm told Grant Leadbitter was at Rockcliffe today in full training kit. Think working with youth teams. Be nice to have a character like that involved in the set up and hopefully moving into the first team training eventually.

He’s been around for a couple of weeks. Think he will be a great example for the young lads.

• Like 3

Not sure what others think, but I actually thought back in the summer Payero was brought in, in advance, as a Tav replacement, as opposed to selling Tav and clubs knowing we have a lot of £ to spend and getting over charged.  I think the club may of been aware Tav could well move on in next 12 months. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Tav is coming up 23 so the idea that he is developing and improving is a slightly romantic one. The England squad last night included young lads whose careers are in an upward trajectory and continually improving. He is a decent player at this level definitely, no less, but certainly no more. His ship is about to set sail and I'm not so sure he has his passport to hand.

I don't think we will get any more out of him and probably a move is in his best interests at this stage of his career. Staying at Boro hasn't improved his game despite having different Managers with differing styles. Playing against clogging Donkeys (and with them) probably hasn't helped but his decision making is very poor and consistently so in the final third. Without doubt he gets back, defends and puts a shift in but he has to deliver more than just that, a lot more and at his age it should be glaringly obvious not a lamentable hope.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I predict that Tav is going to prove a lot of people wrong over the next few months. I think he'll be excellent as the John fleck of wilders system. 

I'd love to be proved wrong and for him to excel under Wilder but he hasn't yet under any Manager and lets face it we have had quite a few during his time. It is very much a now or never scenario for him, let's hope it's now!

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'd love to be proved wrong and for him to excel under Wilder but he hasn't yet under any Manager and lets face it we have had quite a few during his time. It is very much a now or never scenario for him, let's hope it's now!

We have had a few yes. None of them have been good managers though, we have one now. And it's not like he's ever looked bad under any of them, he's just been inconsistent. Even with that, he's been one of our most dangerous players over the last 3 years. And you're right in that its coming into that time in his career that he needs to start fulfilling the promise - I just have a lot of faith that he will, whereas you seem to be more doubtful. Both valid views, but I'm convinced I'm right on this one. 

• Like 3

All Tav needs to do is improve his end product. It’s literally all he’s missing from his game. Unfortunately delivering end product is one of it not the most difficult thing to do in football, and you can’t always teach it. Some players just aren’t mentally capable of picking the right pass or shooting with composure when the time presents itself. 

I have to say I’m leaning this way with Tav, but happy and hope to be proved wrong.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I'm told Grant Leadbitter was at Rockcliffe today in full training kit. Think working with youth teams. Be nice to have a character like that involved in the set up and hopefully moving into the first team training eventually.

Maybe he just caught a bit of John Terryitis...

10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think you are being a bit too harsh on Tav here. Despite playing under a series of managers that hasn't really put emphasis on attack or playing the ball on the floor, and he's been placed everywhere on the pitch, he's still managed to look our best attacking player and performed to a fairly high standard. Tactically it certainly hasn't been easy for him. I agree with you that the time has come for him to really step up if he wants a career in the Prem. He needs to add that little bit extra to his end product, because there is no denying that he is a gifted footballer with the ball and he works very hard. He just hasn't had a chance to prove it at a club that wants to score goals or be towards the top of the league. If Wilder wants goals and the ball on the floor, then Tav is probably one of our most important players.

It's not a succession of Manager's fault that Tav can't pick out a killer pass instead of hanging onto the ball too long or that when he shoots either the camera man ducks or the corner flag takes a hit. That is down to his decision making, vision and composure.

A top Coach may be able to highlight it and work on it with him but I would be amazed if nobody on the various coaching set ups over the years haven't spotted what the fans can see.

The frustrating thing is that he possesses all the talent but struggles with the finer things that will ultimately define his career.

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic