oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

8 minutes ago, Will said:

You can take it however you want, I'm telling you it's irrelevant. Would Aston Villa spend £100m on Jack Grealish? Absolutely not. Then by your logic they couldn't expect to get £100m for Grealish, yet here we are and they did. It's genuinely awful logic.

There is very little logic when it comes to football transfers, full stop. 

At the biggest clubs, its become all about acquiring the best players around, regardless of the cost, which has the added bonus of ensuring your closest rivals don't get them.

In your example Villa could never afford to spend £100m on any player. Whereas clubs like Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc. can afford to throw hundreds of millions of pounds / euros at transfer targets.

You can say players are worth whatever anyone is prepared to pay for them, but when there is such a wealth disparity between the top PL clubs and everyone else, when players can be "collected" almost like Pannini stickers, that logic gets stretched to breaking point.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

There is very little logic when it comes to football transfers, full stop. 

At the biggest clubs, its become all about acquiring the best players around, regardless of the cost, which has the added bonus of ensuring your closest rivals don't get them.

In your example Villa could never afford to spend £100m on any player. Whereas clubs like Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc. can afford to throw hundreds of millions of pounds / euros at transfer targets.

You can say players are worth whatever anyone is prepared to pay for them, but when there is such a wealth disparity between the top PL clubs and everyone else, when players can be "collected" almost like Pannini stickers, that logic gets stretched to breaking point.

I didn't say this because I don't think it tells the whole story. They are worth a combination of their value to their current team, and what someone is willing to pay for them. Was Wilfried Zaha ever a £70-80m player? I'd argue not, but Crystal Palace valued him as that because of what he offered to them, and how important he was to them. No club ever matched that, but it doesn't mean Palace were wrong in their valuation of him. They felt that it would take that much money to replace him, in a very similar situation to Grealish last summer (and when his contract was signed). Jack Grealish is not a £100m footballer IMO, but Villa decided that was what it would take to replace him and Manchester City decided he was worth that to them, so it was done.

I apply that same logic to Tavernier's value. Do I think we could replace what Tav brings to our team and also improve it for £10m? No. At £15m I think we probably could, but there is and always has been a premium on young home grown players, so personally if someone picked up the phone and asked us for a ballpark figure on Tav because they were interested I would say £20m.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I think this is perhaps a bit over the top. But then again I don’t listen to bbc tees after a game. Bar one or two posters on here Tav doesn’t get a lot of crap. People rightly question his end product at times but that’s not giving him crap but it’s because we can expect better from a gifted footballer. 

It is that bad in my experience, yes. I don't think much has changed because you have to listen to Tees when you're watching it on the Boro site too and Maddo is pretty much the only one speaking sense on the matter whilst fans are calling for him to be dropped.

Even skying shots and making the decision to shoot over passing on occasion isn't enough to justify literally anyone else in our squad to come into the team. Him scoring a goal or setting one up is the difference between him getting an 8/10 every week. or a 6/7. But for some fans, it's the difference between him being the best thing since sliced bread and being a complete waste of space.

I think some people do question him because they just know he's capable of better, you're right. When he skies it or doesn't pass, I have a go, of course I do. But some take it too far, wanting him dropped as if he's doing nothing else in the team and isn't otherwise actually playing well. It's not like anybody in our team has been showing off the art of consistency either apart from maybe Sol Bamba since he came into the team. So should we drop everyone? Of course not, it's just daft.

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It is that bad in my experience, yes. I don't think much has changed because you have to listen to Tees when you're watching it on the Boro site too and Maddo is pretty much the only one speaking sense on the matter whilst fans are calling for him to be dropped.

Even skying shots and making the decision to shoot over passing on occasion isn't enough to justify literally anyone else in our squad to come into the team. Him scoring a goal or setting one up is the difference between him getting an 8/10 every week. or a 6/7. But for some fans, it's the difference between him being the best thing since slices bread and being a complete waste of space.

I think some people do question him because they just know he's capable of better, you're right. When he skies it or doesn't pass, I have a go, of course I do. But some take it too far, wanting him dropped as if he's doing nothing else in the team and isn't otherwise actually playing well. It's not like anybody in our team has been showing off the art of consistency either apart from maybe Sol Bamba since he came into the team. So should we drop everyone? Of course not, it's just daft.

Think it's been a bit worse this year because there was a stretch of about 2 or 3 games there where he was just genuinely having a bit of bad form, so now everyone thinks he sucks again.

31 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Think it's been a bit worse this year because there was a stretch of about 2 or 3 games there where he was just genuinely having a bit of bad form, so now everyone thinks he sucks again.

There's a world of difference between "everyone" and "everyone who rings the Tees phone-in"! I only listen to Tees a couple of times a season when I've been to a game, and it's interesting that when we win, nobody rings. When we lose, the switchboard's jammed.

On here, Tav gets a lot of deserved criticism for his awful set pieces and shooting, but he's usually named in people's preferred starting XIs, which speaks volumes about how highly regarded he actually is.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Contract extension until 2025, get in there.
Such an enjoyable player to watch.

Looks like Scott and Wilder must rate him then, which is good. Nothing worse than when new managers come in and immediately decide they dont rate a fan favourite. Glad it's not happening here.

Did anyone tell him he was in to do some signing though, not singing 😄

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Contract extension until 2025, get in there.
Such an enjoyable player to watch.

I'll be honest my main takeaway from this pic is it's scary how much Wilder looks like Kieran Scott's Dad

• Haha 8
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic