oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

39 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Not sure a Randolph would be the answer in this system, as much as I love him. From what I recall, he was never very good with his feet or at kicking - wilders last two keepers were Dean Henderson and Aaron ramsdale, both of which are good footballing keepers so I imagine that'll be what he's looking for.

My guess is that he'll be looking for a loan option of a keeper who has come from a top sides academy so he knows theyve been taught more than just shot stopping. 

I thought Wilder's comments about Premier League loans were interesting. Along the lines of "We've always treated people well and made good friends and contacts. Now me and Alan are here, managers know their young players will be developed well and treated well."

Wondered if it was a slight dig at Colin and Poolis. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Humpty said:

The guy saved us around 12 -15 points the season/season before he left. That would be enough to put us in contention for an automatic promotion spot. I don't think Wilder would give a *** whether he was great with his feet or not if he could sign someone of Randolph's calibre with that kind of record.

I'd certainly welcome him back with open arms as I'm sure most would. I'm just going by wilders history of goalkeeper recruitment and I don't think he quite fits into it. 

33 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'd certainly welcome him back with open arms as I'm sure most would. I'm just going by wilders history of goalkeeper recruitment and I don't think he quite fits into it. 

Get Gavin Bazuna here post haste. Quality young goalkeeper 

• Like 2

Freddie Woodman of Newcastle where he currently 3rd choice?

Spent the two previous seasons on loan at Swansea where I think he won the golden gloves twice. Plus Swansea play a possession based game which is what Wilder wants here.

3 hours ago, Borodane said:

Why? If the right players are available, you might aswell start in january to get a head start before next season. It would be refreshing not having to change 13 players in the summer and spend the first couple of months settling in.

Because we were told that this squad was capable of pushing for a playoff spot with a few tweaks, its what most people on here seemed to suggest as well. Now its a case of rip it up and start again? 

January is never a good month to sign players so I just don't think selling loads of players now makes sense. 

What happens if this time next year Wilder has changed about 15 players and we're still in mid table, do we sack him and rebuild the squad again? 

I can't see the rumour about selling loads of players as being true, I don't think we need to do it to push for the playoffs, I think a couple of tweaks and some good coaching can make us more consistent which can push us up the table. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Freddie Woodman of Newcastle where he currently 3rd choice?

Spent the two previous seasons on loan at Swansea where I think he won the golden gloves twice. Plus Swansea play a possession based game which is what Wilder wants here.

Interesting situation. Dubravka, Darlow and Woodman all there right now. Woodman might have another chance as he did play all the full 90 all of the first 5 games before suffering a hip injury but he also let in 12 goals in the Prem in the 4 league games. It looks like he's only been available for the last 2 but like you say, not even in the squad either game so maybe he's just not quite fit yet.

With Howe coming in, I'm not overly convinced they'll be wanting rid of him in January even on a loan unless they're worried about his hip. Darlow might be a more realistic loan signing, though I'm not overly convinced he's an improvement on what we've got.

@wilsoncgp I think he started the first 5 games because Dubravka injured himself and Darlow had quite bad covid.

I think Woodman was on his way to Bournemouth for a season loan but Newcastle pulled the plug very last minute once Dubravka injured himself.

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Because we were told that this squad was capable of pushing for a playoff spot with a few tweaks, its what most people on here seemed to suggest as well. Now its a case of rip it up and start again? 

January is never a good month to sign players so I just don't think selling loads of players now makes sense. 

What happens if this time next year Wilder has changed about 15 players and we're still in mid table, do we sack him and rebuild the squad again? 

I can't see the rumour about selling loads of players as being true, I don't think we need to do it to push for the playoffs, I think a couple of tweaks and some good coaching can make us more consistent which can push us up the table. 

Few things to be said here:

1. We were told by Warnock quite consistently we were a few players from challenging for promotion but I believe he was wrong through his own faults of being unable to get the best out of the quality players we do have and arguably those of an ilk he much preferred. Still, your point about a lot of people on here saying it is true. Under Warnock, we should have been doing better with this squad of players, especially as there was otherwise no point in him being in charge for a year at a time. But...

2. ...being a few tweaks from a Warnock team challenging is a pretty different prospect from being a few tweaks from a Wilder team challenging, isn't it? Warnock wanted to bring in another big man up front, probably that Rotherham striker or someone similar. Does that match up to what Wilder will want to do it the way he does? No, they want different things. The keeper situation, the defender situation, the wing-back situation. I don't even think Warnock wanted to play wing-backs, was just forced to, he'd maybe have been looking at wingers and not a chance he'd be thinking about bringing Spence back.

3. Last thing to say is again as I said before. If we are building a team that is able to play positive, possession football, Wilder's particular style shouldn't generally have us building a squad that's incapable of going on without him, whether that's through his success or failure. Scott is vital in this respect. You want to make sure the core group are capable of playing in possession but able to adapt to the little things. Having ball-players across the pitch, particularly in the back-line where right now we're a bit lacking, is something we almost certainly do need to look at doing and looking at the keepers and defenders we do have, that is something we may well need to do sooner rather than later for the tougher challenges. Still, the idea is that if Wilder leaves, the next manager will need the core players we have to do what he wants. We also need to get used to the idea that selling some of our better players and replacing them may need to be part of our recruitment plan.

This isn't a squad that needs entirely changing in my opinion but it is definitely in need of a bit of a do-over in some areas. Either they need to fit with what we want to do or they need to leave or drop to squad players so we can bring in people who can do it in the first-team.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This isn't a squad that needs entirely changing in my opinion but it is definitely in need of a bit of a do-over in some areas. Either they need to fit with what we want to do or they need to leave or drop to squad players so we can bring in people who can do it in the first-team.

I think we would only do a major overhaul if we've given up on the playoffs. I think I counted that we have turned over something like 18-20 players in the last two windows so, to an extent, it's no wonder that Warnock couldn't get them to gel.

If we think we can make a challenge for the playoffs then it's really about filling in the depth. That may mean bringing Spence back, and perhaps a couple of loan players from the Prem. Possibly I can see Hall going and maybe Olusunya going out on loan to free up a couple of registered spaces. Probably try and sell or loan one of the keepers.

On paper the squad looks capable of challenging for the playoffs. 

Keepers: pick 2

Wingbacks: Spence, Jones, [Howson], Bola, Taylor

Centrebacks: Fry, Bamba, McNair, Peltier, Dijksteel, +1 

Midfielders: Howson, Crooks, Payero, JLS, Tav, +1 

Forwards: Sporar, Watmore, Ikpeazu/Coburn, +1, [Hernandez/Browne]

I could see Browne and Olusanaya going on loan and maybe Coburn too.

Sales: Hall, 1 keeper, Ikpeazu maybe.

This doesn't look too far off a set of Wilder players if they stay fit and if Payero and JLS make the grade.

11 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

JLS, Crooks and Payero Is the midfield I wanna see. I think JLS has so much potential that we just need to unlock.

Based on what?

I cant write him off because ive not seen enough of him, I dont even know if he is actually a footballer or not!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I thought Wilder's comments about Premier League loans were interesting. Along the lines of "We've always treated people well and made good friends and contacts. Now me and Alan are here, managers know their young players will be developed well and treated well."

Wondered if it was a slight dig at Colin and Poolis. 

How long is this "Colin" thing gonna go on? Bit unnecessary imo

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic