oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Wilder has already stated he wouldn't have sent Spence on loan. Imagine he will have a good look at him in the summer.

It's not quite how I interpreted what he said, it sounded more like he has no choice (about a recall) , whether that's because he doesn't want to be here, or whether the rumoured bad influence we can't know. Perhaps he wouldn't of loaned him out if he was here at the start, then maybe Spence may not of wanted to leave, also I don't think we would of seen the best from jones then. Jones has played his vest while at RWB IMHO. 

9 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Haha I know.
Spence has 1G, 1A this season, Jones has 1G, 6A. Not even close who id rather have in the team at the moment, as good as Spence has supposedly been at Forest. It’s just a shame one of them isn’t left footed.

We've conceded 5 goals in the 8 games when Jones has played at RWB, Forest have conceded 16 in the 19 games Spence has played at RWB

So if you look at it simplistically, it's not like we've made a noticeable trade off defensively either.

I can't think of many moments where Jones has been at fault for a goal.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Wilder has already stated he wouldn't have sent Spence on loan. Imagine he will have a good look at him in the summer.

I imagine Spence will push for a move in the summer whatever happens.

He was not happy here by the end, not that I can particularly blame him for that, and I say that as someone who thought he was often poor here.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

To me that's the difference between a winger being converted to a wingback and a right back being converted to a wingback.  By the sound of it, one of them isn't likely to be our concern again, and the other might not be our concern for long if he keeps doing well.

I think it's also a difference in tactics from the two teams. Jones is our width on that side, there isn't anyone really in front of him and he has a lot of freedom. Spence plays behind Brennan Johnson so his chances on the ball will naturally come from deeper on the pitch than Jones'.

• Like 1

Got to say I'm glad it sounds as though we didn't include an option-to-buy when we renegotiated Spence's loan with Forest. Suppose it's a risk if his performances drop off but the upside is if he keeps putting in performances like this he will be on the radar of a lot of prem teams and we can start a bidding war in the summer to get the best fee and ultimately sell him on our terms.

Direct quote from the Gazette quoting Wilder ref Spence

"I think we all understand that he might not be a player I would have allowed to go out. I think that’s understandable in terms of how we play and what his attributes are."

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TheJew said:

Jones can play LW/ LWB though can't he?

Well he started on the left wing for us at the beginning of the season, and 3 of his 6 assists came when playing there.  I don't know about him playing as a left wing back though, that might be a step too far for the lad.

1 hour ago, FamilyBoro said:

Ian Wright just commenting that Boro must be doing unbelievable if Spence can’t get in the team and has to be loaned out to Forest 🤦

I will correct Ian Wrights comment for him. Isiah Jones must be doing unbelievable if Spence cant get in the team*. And yes Jones so far has been doing great things.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

How much if he continues this form would we get does everyone reckon as he will only have 12 months left on his contract after his loan at Forrest 

Keeps his form up and keeps playing well on national TV we will be able to a fair fee in the summer.

Wait until near the end of the summer window and a young English wingback should command a premium fee - especially as he will be getting sold by a premier league team.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I will correct Ian Wrights comment for him. Isiah Jones must be doing unbelievable if Spence cant get in the team*. And yes Jones so far has been doing great things.

Three weeks ago his final ball and decision making were crap apparently.

I am stating what I believe to be obvious here, Spence never played for Wilder, he played for Warnock, whose principal style of play was to bypass the midfield (including Spence) and hoof it to larger forwards. This did not play to Spence's strengths and so in general he looked frustrated and fed up. Cooper's style of play suites Spence down to the ground and with Brennan Johnson (if he ever became available Boro should jump on it) to link up with they form a natural pair. So I don't think it's a case of letting a brilliant Spence go as much as letting a player go who did not fit into Warnock's game plan. I am sure Wilder sees what he has to offer in terms of capability, but does not want to upset the balance that Boro have with Jones in that position, I believe that is essentially what he stated.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic