oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

1 minute ago, CambridgeBoro said:

Just saw this on twitter.

Celtic fans going into meltdown, you love to see it especially after so many were throwing shade at us on Twitter when they thought they had stole the deal from us.

CB6BD9DE-FE66-490C-ABBE-50F706835BEF.png

The lad that posted that tweet is a Boro fan tbf

2 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

https://www.celticway.co.uk/tactics/19837690.riley-mcgree-brings-celtic-ange-postecoglou-getting-3m-dynamo-bite/

it's behind a paywall.. but you can stop it hiding the content by clicking the X before the paywall loads

Who is Riley McGree?

Highly-rated within Australian football as a teenager at Adelaide United, Postecoglou called him up for the national squad in March 2017 when he was 18 and with just 700 minutes of senior football under his belt. It was reported as a shock at the time by ABC News, although McGree did not actually see any game-time.

Belgian Pro League side Club Brugge took him to Europe in July that year, although his time with the club was ultimately mostly spent back in his homeland on loan to Newcastle Jets (where he scored a Puskas Award contender) and Melbourne City.

A return to Adelaide United brought an FFA Cup triumph as well as the NAB young footballer of the year award and a team of the season nod.

His success with United led to Charlotte FC recruiting him - although, with the signing coming well in advance of their inaugural MLS season, he was loaned to Birmingham City in the English Championship from October 2020 until the end of the following year.

What do the stats tell us?

McGree offers plenty of energy and bite in the central areas with good work-rate married to decent technical qualities ensuring his offensive game is based on scoring and creating.

An able dribbler as well as a fairly accurate shooter, he consistently outperforms his xG - over the past five years he has almost five more goals than 'expected' - while his assist rate is around level. 

Crucially, McGree offers plenty off the ball too. The 23-year-old favours a high-intensity approach and wins almost 10 duels per 90 minutes with comparatively impressive numbers in interceptions and opposition half recoveries into the bargain.

READ MORE: How Kyogo Furuhashi became Scottish football's leading man in less than six months

Add his mix of technical and tenacious attributes to the fact he is a lefty, can fill a role on the wing if required and likes a set-piece and it becomes clear why plenty have already drawn comparisons between him and ex-Celt Ryan Christie. Here's how some of their numbers compare:

Christie, of course, is long since departed and although his absence has been felt there are now others vying for a regular spot as an 8 or 10 in Celtic's midfield. Here's how McGree compares to some of them:

The numbers are favourable (even the weaker ones) and especially so given they are from actoss five-plus-year sample size and not a one-off season.

That said, replicating or improving upon these sorts of numbers in the SPFL Premiership and, perhaps more importantly, in European competition would be the next big step for the Australian.

Where does he fit in?

A player with McGree's traits continues Celtic's significant strengthening of the midfield area in this window.

Reo Hatate carries a similar profile – and indeed has also been posited as a Christie-type player – while Yosuke Ideguchi has been added into the running for a spot recently too. The former's arrival, in particular, likely makes a starting berth more difficult to nail down for McGree.

Elsewhere, David Turnbull might be injured just now but there is also Tom Rogic to contend with for a role as a hybrid 8 or as a 10 while we should not forget Nir Bitton’s resurgence either as the quest for significant game-time alongside captain Callum McGregor gets ultra-competitive over the second half of the season.

But given the stresses and strains of fighting for glory on three fronts, variety could well be the spice of life for Postecoglou going forward; add McGree to the other recent January recruits and suddenly that Celtic midfield is awash with mobile, energetic options again.

What they said...

“We haven’t had in the A-League too many teenagers even getting a run these days. I thought he looked exciting from the moment he broke into the team. I really like the way he’s adjusted to playing in an unfamiliar position against some pretty good opponents. He’s played [AFC] Champions League and A-League. He’s just someone I want to have a look at.” – Ange Postecoglou in March 2017, after calling up McGree to the national side aged 18.

"He has the ability to link the midfield to the final third, he’s got a good through ball, a final cross and he’s got a shot. Those are great qualities for a young player." – Australia assistant manager Rene Meulensteen to ftbl.com.

“There’s a young lad at Birmingham at the moment called Riley McGree who’s a really talented player. I think he’ll be a top player.” – former Celtic midfielder and Australia international Jackson Irvine to Open Goal.

“We are building our team with young talent that matches the aggressive style of play, and intensity in the game, that our fans will love to watch. Riley is a perfect fit for us.” - Charlotte FC sporting director Zoran Krneta to the club website on why they recruited McGree in the first place.

Sounds like Tav re-incarnate…

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Definitely feel like there'd be a chant in Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin.

"Signing Balogun was good enough for me,

Good enough and then we sign Riley McGree".

How about this to the Black Lace - Agadoo sound track…

“Bal-o-gun gun gun

he scores goals, and he wins frees

Bal-o-gun gun gun

he also scores penalties

to the left, to the right, straight down the middle it’s all right

Folarin Balogun…

… will shoot us to the Premier League!!!”

• Like 1

From what I heard other day, McGree signing probably does mean we are cashing in on Tav. I was told Leeds were seriously interested, and the transfer has legs. Tav is more then open to the move (not surprising tbf). 

Adds up with what @Denzel Zanzibarhas heard aswell.

Edited by BoroSmoggie
3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

How about this to the Black Lace - Agadoo sound track…

“Bal-o-gun gun gun

he scores goals, and he wins frees

Bal-o-gun gun gun

he also scores penalties

to the left, to the right, straight down the middle it’s all right

Folarin Balogun…

… will shoot us to the Premier League!!!”

Dont give up your day job!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But older and with less experience.  

Perhaps a daft question but why don't his American club want him?  Just after a quick profit?

I think so, they refused to loan him back to Birmingham despite them being desperare to keep him and the money goes further over there.

It's not the worst bit of business if we make a big sale with Tav and replace him with someone similar and end up in overall profit.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic