oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/exclusive-victor-orta-connections-middlesbrough-marcus-tavernier-transfer

"EXCLUSIVE: Victor Orta connections at play as Leeds plot vital midfield deal

Leeds United have joined the chase for Middlesbrough’s Marcus Tavernier and are considering a January move for the exciting midfielder, TEAMtalk has learned."

• Sad 1
32 minutes ago, Hendrie_7 said:

https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/exclusive-victor-orta-connections-middlesbrough-marcus-tavernier-transfer

"EXCLUSIVE: Victor Orta connections at play as Leeds plot vital midfield deal

Leeds United have joined the chase for Middlesbrough’s Marcus Tavernier and are considering a January move for the exciting midfielder, TEAMtalk has learned."

I'd be very sad to see him go but this move would make a lot of sense for him. Think he'd thrive in that team, could really take his game to the next level.

Having said that, I'm not sure Victor Orta's connections to Middlesbrough will make any difference to trying to get a deal done. Pr£tty $ure it'$ th£ $ame a$ mo$t oth£r deal$.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that Tav is ready for the PL. He'd need to vastly improve aspects of his game, but I suppose his style wasn't helped by Warnock-ball. Bielsa might get more out of him, but he would certainly be very expensive.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'm not sure that Tav is ready for the PL. He'd need to vastly improve aspects of his game, but I suppose his style wasn't helped by Warnock-ball. Bielsa might get more out of him, but he would certainly be very expensive.

Would be nice to see what he can do in this new system, one that keeps the ball on the ground with more pace. Along with a better manager who can teach

If it doesnt work the rest of the season with Tav id be ok to sell in summer. Might be best to move on then. To me it would just seem a bit inconplete to let him go after the disasters of managers we've had with Pulis Woodgate, and Warnock. 

28 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'm not really sure those two statements really fit together. For what it's worth, it's the first one that I disagree with. Maybe more of a choice of words thing to be fair but I don't think he needs to vastly improve anything. Some of his aspects aren't the best but I don't think they call for vast improvement or we wouldn't see a high value from him at all. Someone from our academy who I'd say needs to vastly improve aspects of his game for example would be Ste Walker because he's not even at our level never mind the level above.

Tav in my opinion, even with his poor decision making at times, would get into pretty much any side in this division. I think he's managed to shake off the idea he doesn't work hard enough for the team, he works his *** off most games I've seen this season. It's often why he ends up in a position to make the poor decisions that people really criticise him for and why he's statistically come out shining defensively too. That for me is why he's probably our most valuable asset ahead of Fry and why, if we need to sell, I agree, he should be very expensive.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not really sure those two statements really fit together. For what it's worth, it's the first one that I disagree with. Maybe more of a choice of words thing to be fair but I don't think he needs to vastly improve anything. Some of his aspects aren't the best but I don't think they call for vast improvement or we wouldn't see a high value from him at all. Someone from our academy who I'd say needs to vastly improve aspects of his game for example would be Ste Walker because he's not even at our level never mind the level above.

Tav in my opinion, even with his poor decision making at times, would get into pretty much any side in this division. I think he's managed to shake off the idea he doesn't work hard enough for the team, he works his *** off most games I've seen this season. It's often why he ends up in a position to make the poor decisions that people really criticise him for and why he's statistically come out shining defensively too. That for me is why he's probably our most valuable asset ahead of Fry and why, if we need to sell, I agree, he should be very expensive.

He has very good natural abilities, and the things that need to improve aren't impossible to coach, so it's not a huge detriment to his value. Teams will pay for natural abilities, workrate and potential to improve. When I say "vastly" it's because we are talking about stepping up to the Prem. He will have less time on the ball and will up against much much better players, so his decision making needs to vastly improve. The time he takes and the decisions he take. That's probably the main thing that he needs to improve on now because ticks a lot of the boxes; young, english, skillfull, hard working, quick feet and has a lot of experience already.  It's a huge step up to the Prem.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'd be very sad to see him go but this move would make a lot of sense for him. Think he'd thrive in that team, could really take his game to the next level.

Having said that, I'm not sure Victor Orta's connections to Middlesbrough will make any difference to trying to get a deal done. Pr£tty $ure it'$ th£ $ame a$ mo$t oth£r deal$.

Agree with this. As much as I'd hate to see him in a Leeds shirt, I think they're almost the perfect team for him to grow in.

58 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Tav in my opinion, even with his poor decision making at times, would get into pretty much any side in this division. I think he's managed to shake off the idea he doesn't work hard enough for the team, he works his *** off most games I've seen this season.

It also recently occurred to me that in his time he has played under 4 vastly different managers (Monk, Pulis, Woodgate, Warnock) who all wanted him to do something completely different and never settled on his best position. If he lacks some consistency and struggles with decision-making you can hardly blame him. This is also only his third season where he's a regular starter. One season under Woodgate, one season under Warnock in empty stadiums. 

image.png.1f3db25b729f5ca3e1465b189c93cd7b.png

Frankly, if I were Tav I would be thinking it's probably time to move on unless Wilder comes up with the goods. I would be looking at Bamford and Harrison and thinking that could be me.

If we did lose him in January we would really struggle to replace him. I know the Brentford and Norwich model is to have a succession plan for each of your best players but I don't see anyone in the squad or U23s who has the same creativity, drive and work rate. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

It also recently occurred to me that in his time he has played under 4 vastly different managers (Monk, Pulis, Woodgate, Warnock) who all wanted him to do something completely different and never settled on his best position. If he lacks some consistency and struggles with decision-making you can hardly blame him. This is also only his third season where he's a regular starter. One season under Woodgate, one season under Warnock in empty stadiums. 

image.png.1f3db25b729f5ca3e1465b189c93cd7b.png

Frankly, if I were Tav I would be thinking it's probably time to move on unless Wilder comes up with the goods. I would be looking at Bamford and Harrison and thinking that could be me.

If we did lose him in January we would really struggle to replace him. I know the Brentford and Norwich model is to have a succession plan for each of your best players but I don't see anyone in the squad or U23s who has the same creativity, drive and work rate. 

I see Tav as one of our most important players and want him to stay 100%.

But if an offer came in too good to refuse (I’m talking £15-20m range) then he is not easily but definitely replaceable if that money is spent correctly. Which under Scott I would hope is now more likely than before. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

I see Tav as one of our most important players and want him to stay 100%.

But if an offer came in too good to refuse (I’m talking £15-20m range) then he is not easily but definitely replaceable if that money is spent correctly. Which under Scott I would hope is now more likely than before. 

I agree with this sentiment. I feel a lot more comfortable letting go of someone like Tav now. He’s not indispensable but he’s an important part of the team; Under Scott’s guidance i think we’d be able to improve the first 11 beyond the impact Tav currently has for £15 mil.

15 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I agree with this sentiment. I feel a lot more comfortable letting go of someone like Tav now. He’s not indispensable but he’s an important part of the team; Under Scott’s guidance i think we’d be able to improve the first 11 beyond the impact Tav currently has for £15 mil.

We could do a lot with that 15m, anyone have Britt's number? 🤠

• Haha 2

I do like Tav but I I don’t think he is integral to us as a team. Mainly because we haven’t had a best position for him under recent managers. 

Don’t get me wrong, I like his work rate and there is certainly a good player in there, but would he be irreplaceable? I’m not so sure. A great point about him playing in a whole host of different systems and managers isn’t going to help his development. 

On one hand you could say his end product and set pieces are poor.. but then also say that his work rate and positive play is infectious for the team. Maybe under Wilder we would see the true Tav, but for the right price of 10m + and a sell on clause, we would be silly to not cash in if there was interest. 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic