Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - Any other business? 🧐


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Lumley?

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Boromadman said:

Matt crooks our top scorer on 4 goals in 18 games , sporar 3 in 14 . Its grim reading , we definitely need a couple of players capable of sticking the ball in the net . Feels like we havent had a good striker for years ... 

when you read the stats it’s astonishing we are around mid table

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

when you read the stats it’s astonishing we are around mid table

To be fair we're pretty average for goals scored, it's just that we don't have a dedicated goal scorer. How much of that is down to tactics vs personnel, Warnock teams quite often have goals spread throughout them. Wilder's tactics should give us more supply to the strikers rather than our goals coming from nicking the ball and scoring from a breakaway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just on the discussion related to fitness and January movement, it could well be the feeling that there's only so much you can do with certain players if they're naturally not very fit. It's clearly a massive concern, mentioned in pretty much every presser so far. Performances on the pitch will only mean so much if you're only fit 25% of the season. Dijksteel would be one of the first names I'd look at in that regard. Looks to me like if he could stay fit, we could find a place for him in the squad. But if we see more of him on the treatment table, it doesn't matter whether the new manager can improve his actual on-the-day performances very much in the grand scheme of things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just on the discussion related to fitness and January movement, it could well be the feeling that there's only so much you can do with certain players if they're naturally not very fit. It's clearly a massive concern, mentioned in pretty much every presser so far. Performances on the pitch will only mean so much if you're only fit 25% of the season. Dijksteel would be one of the first names I'd look at in that regard. Looks to me like if he could stay fit, we could find a place for him in the squad. But if we see more of him on the treatment table, it doesn't matter whether the new manager can improve his actual on-the-day performances very much in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at our back 4/5 we have Djik, Bola and Fry who don’t play enough games because of injuries. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you are on the the sick list.

I suspect there will be a few checks going on behind the scenes to find out if players have undiagnosed injuries, if training is causing injuries, if the medical team aren’t up to scratch or if there’s a behavioural issue. 
 

Depending on the results of those investigations I think we may see some of the players moved on 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Looking at our back 4/5 we have Djik, Bola and Fry who don’t play enough games because of injuries. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you are on the the sick list.

I suspect there will be a few checks going on behind the scenes to find out if players have undiagnosed injuries, if training is causing injuries, if the medical team aren’t up to scratch or if there’s a behavioural issue. 
 

Depending on the results of those investigations I think we may see some of the players moved on 

Last season Bola played 41 games out of 46, which is pretty good. Fry started 32 out of the first 38, but then missed the last 8 games - presumably one injury. The season before, Fry started 36 games with two short spells out ( Bola wasn’t bring picked a lot that season from memory.) So for those two, this season may be just unlucky, poor fitness management, as Wilder has suggested, or bringing them back too quickly after injury. There doesn’t seem to be a long term repeated history of injuries. Dijk does seem to miss more games though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Bola was brought back too quickly by Warnock twice and was injured in the games he returned in. Dijksteel once. 

Hopefully we'll see a lot less of that going on now that we have a manager who isn't just out for himself.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2021 at 10:57 PM, Neverbefore said:

Yeah Bola was brought back too quickly by Warnock twice and was injured in the games he returned in. Dijksteel once. 

Hopefully we'll see a lot less of that going on now that we have a manager who isn't just out for himself.

Not to be a Warnock apologist, but surely this is what happens when you don’t have anything in the way of cover. Our squad over the past few years has been tiny, this year at least we have Sol and Pelts playing out of their skins but previously we did have to rush them back.

Add to that the primary-school level sports-science department we had too and it’s definitely unfair to say anyone is too injury-prone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Not to be a Warnock apologist, but surely this is what happens when you don’t have anything in the way of cover. Our squad over the past few years has been tiny, this year at least we have Sol and Pelts playing out of their skins but previously we did have to rush them back.

Add to that the primary-school level sports-science department we had too and it’s definitely unfair to say anyone is too injury-prone.  

doesn't absolve Neil of the blame, a lot of that stuff fell under his purview. He was the one that shooed Coulson out the door without having a replacement lined up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Add to that the primary-school level sports-science department we had too and it’s definitely unfair to say anyone is too injury-prone.  

What makes you think the sports science dept are primary school level? 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What makes you think the sports science dept are primary school level? 

IIRC they were gutted under Tony Pulis as a cost saving measure and were never really re-established. Think Chris Wilder is the first to try and properly implement it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

IIRC they were gutted under Tony Pulis as a cost saving measure and were never really re-established. Think Chris Wilder is the first to try and properly implement it again.

I didn't know that, so its more an area that is understaffed then rather than incompetent? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I didn't know that, so its more an area that is understaffed then rather than incompetent? 

That's what I was lead to believe, yeah. The sports science stuff we've been involved in since Pulis has been minimal at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

That's what I was lead to believe, yeah. The sports science stuff we've been involved in since Pulis has been minimal at best.

Shame on Pulis then but it doesn't surprise me, he's the sort of bloke that would still have the players eating steak before a game. 

I just thought labelling the department as primary school level was a bit harsh unless someone knew something that I don't. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Smogzilla changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - Any other business? 🧐

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...