oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Just to be crystal clear it's his decision making and end product along with his set pieces that are woeful. Nobody is decrying that he works his socks off, gets back and defends, busting a gut in the process or that he has undoubted talent. All that is great and if that is his benchmark then congratulations to the lad he has achieved it, enjoy mediocre Championship life, its a lot more than many have or can achieve.

The fact he couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo, hangs onto the ball for far too long running into trouble in the process and his set pieces are a total waste of time can clearly be overlooked. Or just maybe he pulls his finger out and sorts out his limitations. It's called tough love, I want him to do all those things and if he does he will be far too good for the Championship let alone Boro. Will he? I doubt it based on what he has shown to date, blinkered enthusiasm can only get him and his fan club so far. Those players that hit the top corner from free kicks or at least work the Keeper don't just do that by sheer luck or accident, it's down to hard work and practice.

Approaching the final year of his contract puts Boro in a stick or twist situation. Sell in January for what they can get while there is still some "potential" or conversely if he signs on for another three years in the summer it kind of proves my point. If he goes in the summer it's a player in the final year of his contract and we can write off thousands (sorry millions). He can tell all his mates in the pub later in life, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I dont even know where to start with that. 

All I can say is I believe your assessment of him as a player is fundamentally flawed. 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Perhaps Tav would be better suited to a position where he isn’t under pressure to score goals or provide assists, i.e not on the wing. Still not convinced he’s as good as some other people are making out though. Imo he’s a ‘decent’ championship player at the moment, no more. 

Hopefully Wilder’s more attacking style gives him less pressure to come up with goods. Fingers crossed the whole team can start contributing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's insanity in my eyes, mate. I can't understand for the life of me why he gets the crap he does. He's been the boo boy for the last few weeks. There are so many players in this squad who have consistently underperformed who don't get the pelters he has been getting. I put the radio on after one home game this season and regretted it immediately because it just became a 'how bad is Tavernier' discussion.

I don't even think he's played that bad either! It's the decision making that is questionable at times but he has come on leaps and bounds from where he was when he first came into the team, especially as an all-round team player.

Its down to peoples expectations.  Tav has been branded the future of Boro for a while now, and then when he doesnt deliver people are naturally disapointed.  I also think that some of our fans are still living in the nineties & naughties when we had world class players in the shirt and use those players as a guide to what we should have on the pitch, when the reality of it is we will probably never see those days again!

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

Its down to peoples expectations.  Tav has been branded the future of Boro for a while now, and then when he doesnt deliver people are naturally disapointed.  I also think that some of our fans are still living in the nineties & naughties when we had world class players in the shirt and use those players as a guide to what we should have on the pitch, when the reality of it is we will probably never see those days again!

I go as far back as the Stan Anderson era so believe me when I say my benchmarking guide is much lower than the nineties and noughties when it comes to Boro. 

8 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I go as far back as the Stan Anderson era so believe me when I say my benchmarking guide is much lower than the nineties and noughties when it comes to Boro. 

My expectations were set watching the Reserves with Arthur Horsfield, Ray Yeoman and Eric Lightning from the Boys End  in the early 60’s, so Tav is a a huge step up on that benchmark.

• Like 1

Tav is like an inverse Lewis Wing. Good team player, never stops trying, great at leading a charge upfield, but hopeless at shooting. If you combined his and Wing's abilities, you'd have a player at Leeds or Leicester, not at a mid-table Championship side.

Tav frustrates the life out of me with his frankly atrocious shooting, but we'd be a poorer team without him. If Wilder gives him double shooting practice every week, we might start to see a real gem of a player emerge (before we reluctantly sell him to Leeds or Leicester in a couple of season's time).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Tav is like an inverse Lewis Wing. Good team player, never stops trying, great at leading a charge upfield, but hopeless at shooting. If you combined his and Wing's abilities, you'd have a player at Leeds or Leicester, not at a mid-table Championship side.

Tav frustrates the life out of me with his frankly atrocious shooting, but we'd be a poorer team without him. If Wilder gives him double shooting practice every week, we might start to see a real gem of a player emerge (before we reluctantly sell him to Leeds or Leicester in a couple of season's time).

Tav has a better appreciation of the game than Wing when we are not in possession, ever since Wing’s earliest games he seems lost when we are being attacked, players run off and he struggles to get involved

21 minutes ago, HorsehaySmoggie said:

Tav has a better appreciation of the game than Wing when we are not in possession, ever since Wing’s earliest games he seems lost when we are being attacked, players run off and he struggles to get involved

With Wing, it's always looked like a physical thing for me. If you can put him in a team and allow him to play without chasing men around but using his energy to find space, you've got a half decent player.

The problem is players like that in high intensity teams are often seen as passengers and makes the work harder for the other players in the team when they're on the pitch. If you've got a solid defensive unit off the ball, maybe you can find a place for him. Otherwise? Meh.

Not many players can strike a ball like him when he catches it cleanly. His actual ability when the ball is at his feet, in distribution and having a dig at goal, is pretty good. It's everything else that feels like it's a bit lacking.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's insanity in my eyes, mate. I can't understand for the life of me why he gets the crap he does. He's been the boo boy for the last few weeks. There are so many players in this squad who have consistently underperformed who don't get the pelters he has been getting. I put the radio on after one home game this season and regretted it immediately because it just became a 'how bad is Tavernier' discussion.

I don't even think he's played that bad either! It's the decision making that is questionable at times but he has come on leaps and bounds from where he was when he first came into the team, especially as an all-round team player.

I think this is perhaps a bit over the top. But then again I don’t listen to bbc tees after a game. Bar one or two posters on here Tav doesn’t get a lot of crap. People rightly question his end product at times but that’s not giving him crap but it’s because we can expect better from a gifted footballer. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

I dont even know where to start with that. 

All I can say is I believe your assessment of him as a player is fundamentally flawed. 

Personally I think the answer is somewhere in between. I agree with the sentiment that he gets more scrutiny because more is expected of him and rightly so because he’s shown us what he’s capable of. I’ve been critical of his end product in and around the box because  know fine well he’s better than what he’s showing in terms of finishing and a final pass. This could well be a result of frustration. Trying to force matters because he’s out of form etc. I’ve seen it all before especially in young players.
For the record he’s definitely not a bad finisher, he’s just in a poor run of form. He’s very good at carrying the ball and his energy is a big asset in midfield. Jury is out on his decision making.

14 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'll take that as neither you or Humpty would be happy to spend £10m on him then?

Why should another Club and their fans be excited about signing Tav for 10/12/15 or even £20m as has been mooted on here? It's highly unlikely that at his age he will ever become an International and at very best is very likely to become a middling to lower Premiership player. That's a gamble and I doubt he would walk into any Premiership side, even Norwich.

The next few weeks let alone months may define his future with Boro in particular and the game in general. 

You can take it however you want, I'm telling you it's irrelevant. Would Aston Villa spend £100m on Jack Grealish? Absolutely not. Then by your logic they couldn't expect to get £100m for Grealish, yet here we are and they did. It's genuinely awful logic.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

He will be 23 shortly and come the summer his contract will only have a year left and that devalues him to potential suitors.

He'll be 23 in nearly 6 months 😂 Talk about having an agenda.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic