oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

If we are moving towards a structured and strategic football model then players need to be added every transfer window. Look at Brentford who add the right players a few at a time, before you know it you have a squad of 15-16 that suits the coach you bring in. We’ve seen what happens when you try and but 7/8 plus players in one window.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Maybe the new manager(if they have picked one already) wants to play 3 at the back. I think Dijksteel could be a very good right sided centre back

It's his best position.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Surprised people saying we don't need any reinforcements in Jan / prioritising the attack positions. For me the absolute priority is a new left back as competition/cover for Bola who cant shake off his injury and is regularly missing games this season / playing through the pain barrier.

We always need reinforcements. We should be continually improving the first XI. Goalkeeper, left back, right back, centre forward and attacking midfield are all positions i would be prioritising. 

9 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Maybe the new manager(if they have picked one already) wants to play 3 at the back. I think Dijksteel could be a very good right sided centre back

dunno about dijksteel, he seems to over commit to tackles and get on the wrong side easily. i think he needs to work hard on his concentration to play at cb. i like howson wide right. he reads the game brilliantly and can get forward and support when needed. in the middle he looks like a fish out of water now. bit to old to be covering the whole pitch now. sticks to one side and he can still look the part.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Humpty said:

We always need reinforcements. We should be continually improving the first XI. Goalkeeper, left back, right back, centre forward and attacking midfield are all positions i would be prioritising. 

Defensive midfield suddenly been sorted I take it?  

That’s why I said possibly. Same reason I haven’t changed my tune on Warnock yet. Let’s see if he can do it when it matters or if Warnock even continues to play him there…

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Humpty said:

That’s why I said possibly. Same reason I haven’t changed my tune on Warnock yet. Let’s see if he can do it when it matters or if Warnock even continues to play him there…

Indeed.  Or even if we need more than one player who can play there.

• Like 1

Lot of ifs and buts about the recent run -

- quality of opposition

- will payero continue to start when everyone is back?

- will crooks go back to warnocks preferred position of trying to win as many high balls in the final 3rd as possible?

- will howson be back in centre midfield?

- will the slightly more fluid, attacking style of play and line ups continue when we have a couple of defenders back?

- can peltier and bamba continue to keep up standards as more football is played?

The jury is still very much out on what we need in January imo, a left back and centre back are no brainers imo. The three games just past mean nothing if we revert to type and don't learn from them 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we're still there in January, but we're currently in 6th, I wouldn't blame the club whatsoever for giving it a go if we're still there when the transfer window opens.

If there's a half decent left back available, we should be bringing them in whatever our league position.

Good point. If we were and within a realistic chance of chasing down points for automatic promotion, then it would justify investing heavily, if it’s a place in the playoff then absolutely not. 

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

So buy a new team then. 

10 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Good point. If we were and within a realistic chance of chasing down points for automatic promotion, then it would justify investing heavily, if it’s a place in the playoff then absolutely not. 

I'd say having having a strong chance of entering the play-offs would definitely justify investing.

If you can't afford the gamble of investing because of the lottery of the play-offs, then you probably can't afford the gamble of missing out on automatic promotion either.

A third of the season is left after the transfer window shuts, you could easily drop in to the bottom half with that much of the season left, let alone just missing out on automatic promotion.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic