oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

26 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of cull. Ikpeazu, Spence, Hall and possibly Olusanya out the door would be my guess. I’m not sure that’s wholesale changes, but more opening up space in the squad quota.

I would fancy one of the keepers to be moved on to @Humpty. Would not be surprised if two left (Stoj and Lumley) and we got a new keeper in Jan with Daniels as back up

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

If we're looking at keepers we could do a lot worse than taking a look at Kalle Johnsen who is sat on the bench at Copenhagen. Arguably one of the best keepers in the league for years and for some odd reason Copenhagens new sporting director brought in Grabara from Liverpool in the summer. Really made no sense and still doesn't. Alas Johnsen is sat on his *** meaning that his place in Swedens team is also under pressure. Copenhagen are also a bit strapped for cash, but I'd imagine he'd cost at least 2 million, so perhaps we can't afford it.

Akpom will probably get his chance in the summer, especially if the striker we bring in in January is just Balogun on loan. Not expecting much, though, it's not like he was particularly good with the ball at his feet either.

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Trying to do a massive rebuild in January would be completely stupid. Its almost like we've learnt nothing from changing managers in the past. 

Thats if its true. 

Why? If the right players are available, you might aswell start in january to get a head start before next season. It would be refreshing not having to change 13 players in the summer and spend the first couple of months settling in.

• Like 1
Just now, Duvel said:

Trying to do a massive rebuild in January would be completely stupid. Its almost like we've learnt nothing from changing managers in the past. 

Thats if its true. 

What do you mean? I don't think it particularly matters when we start this process or how much of it we do in January.

If the budget is there, I'm happy for us to just get on with it. A lot of our recruitment from now on should be primarily seen to the benefit of the club in the long-term anyway.

Whether you trust the club to get that part of recruitment right from here on in is another issue that doesn't really make any difference to whether we do it in this January, the summer or next January. Good recruitment can happen whenever.

Honestly, I don't think the club has the resources to spend too much without selling and I don't think we'll sell everyone we want to sell in January either. So even though I'm not overly fussed if it does happen, I think we'll be too limited to do it now anyway. I also get the feeling that Wilder probably won't want to rock the boat too much if he thinks it's going to have a big effect on mid-season morale and all that.

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Thats if its true. 

Doubt it will be a massive rebuild. Wilder already mentioned the FFP restrictions. Think its just about having an actual solid squad for competition, rather than having barely a first 11 and then just no impact from the bench. 

We need reinforcements throughout the squad, even before anyone gets shoved out the door. Hypothetically, if we could only strengthen our squad in one area - GK, defence, midfield or attack - which should be the top priority?

14 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

We need reinforcements throughout the squad, even before anyone gets shoved out the door. Hypothetically, if we could only strengthen our squad in one area - GK, defence, midfield or attack - which should be the top priority?

Good question. I’d say we are weakest in the goalkeeper position personally. Imagine having a Randolph in goal and how much that would improve our solidity. It all depends on how Wilder wants to play and if he feels we have any glaring skill gaps that fit that style.

Not sure a Randolph would be the answer in this system, as much as I love him. From what I recall, he was never very good with his feet or at kicking - wilders last two keepers were Dean Henderson and Aaron ramsdale, both of which are good footballing keepers so I imagine that'll be what he's looking for.

My guess is that he'll be looking for a loan option of a keeper who has come from a top sides academy so he knows theyve been taught more than just shot stopping. 

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Not sure a Randolph would be the answer in this system, as much as I love him. From what I recall, he was never very good with his feet or at kicking - wilders last two keepers were Dean Henderson and Aaron ramsdale, both of which are good footballing keepers so I imagine that'll be what he's looking for.

My guess is that he'll be looking for a loan option of a keeper who has come from a top sides academy so he knows theyve been taught more than just shot stopping. 

I think the same every time Randolph comes up as a solution. He was not a good player with the ball at his feet. He wasn't panicky, he was incredibly calm in most situations actually. But that just showed him up when he needed to do anything beyond a hoof. I'd still have his talents between the sticks over any keeper we have right now but I think there would be times where he could be a liability and perhaps there's a better balance of skillsets available out there.

Halls absolutely terrible.

Injured too often, rubbish defensively because he's way too slow and immobile and garbage with the ball.

Ikpeazu is a nice guy and he works hard but he's not good enough for a team chasing promotion/playoffs.

He can't last a full game and doesn't offer enough.

I think we'll bring in a left-footed CB, a defensive midfielder cause Howson's not good enough and a striker, maybe two.

Possibly a winger/wing-back as well depending on what we do with Spence.

31 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The guy saved us around 12 -15 points the season/season before he left. That would be enough to put us in contention for an automatic promotion spot. I don't think Wilder would give a *** whether he was great with his feet or not if he could sign someone of Randolph's calibre with that kind of record.

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic