oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

I think Wilder might well be open to a fair few players leaving if there’s some interest out there. I think we have some decent players but need some real quality alongside. I can’t see any of the Scott/recruitment team players going (even JLS), but I’d imagine some of Warnock’s signings could be on their way out - Hall, TO, Lumbly, Uche. 

Looking to the future, Bamba and Peltier have been very good for us and are needed this season, but beyond that, there’s another couple of players that need replacing/upgrading in the summer. So not a massive rebuild but a necessary one. 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Personally i don't think we need an overhaul. The squad is good but maybe slightly unbalanced. A right wing back, a left footed centre half and goalkeeper would be nice. Don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, there's some talented players in that squad.

• Like 1

If Siliki doesn't start playing soon then I just don't see the point in persisting with him given it's only a loan.

If we're wanting to bring in players in January, we need squad space and he's been here 2 and a half months and hasn't started a game in 2 months.

We're nearly at the halfway point of the season, he's hardly featured and he could be missing for up to 4-5 league matches and 1-2 FA Cup matches because he's away with Cameroon at AFCON in January/February.

I understand why he might not be starting yet under Wilder, as he's barely had any time with him, but it's hard to see who he'd come in for anyway.

Both Tavernier and Crooks would be starting ahead of him for me, so there's Howson he could leapfrog, but I'd have Payero back in the side first.

The minimum we need is a GK and ST. Any team will struggle when the 2 most important positions aren’t quality options. 

Maybe a LCB but for me Dijksteel - Fry - McNair is very solid, it just depends on how highly Wilder values a left footer. 

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Personally i don't think we need an overhaul. The squad is good but maybe slightly unbalanced. A right wing back, a left footed centre half and goalkeeper would be nice. Don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, there's some talented players in that squad.

Maybe add half a dozen psychoanalysts  to find out why the hell we fall to pieces when we concede a goal!

• Like 2

Two RB/RWB's that I think could do a very good job for us are:

Jens Stryger Larsen - plays at Udinese and for the Danish national team. Is out of contract in the summer and wants a new challenge, so he's being frozen out. He's turning 31 in february so I doubt he'd cost much. Very stabil and gets up and down.

Alexander Bah - Such an exciting player with pace to burn and a very good right foot. Moved to Prague last january for around 1.75 mil euros, so might be out of our price range and maybe he is looking for a bigger move. But he would suit Wilderball down to the core.

As a goalkeeper I mentioned Kalle Johnsen yesterday. Great keeper and out of favour at Copenhagen.

• Like 2

starting right at the very top, Gibson needs to stop tampering with transfers other than financial and contract matters, i dont think Bauser has ever got to grips with a football based environment ,he obviously is excellent in his specific field and Gibson knows that but hes been a flop at mfc , the scouting dept needs rejigging and Scott should be trusted to shape that, Im happy enough to allow Wilder and his coaching team a fair amount of time to develop thier system but the signs arent great at this early stage that the players here presently arent fit enough to keep the tempo up for 90 mins and we still tend to be shoehorning far too much, 3 centre backs doesnt suit us at all taking into account that more often than not two thirds are made up of stop gap midfielders or full backs being deployed there . hence we need 2 out and out central defenders  ASAP.  Hall looks to be on his way and Fry seems injury prone and they are the only two genuine CB,s, Bamba imo should be used in emergency situations only, Peltier too. assuming we ditch the 3 CBs we dont need to fret about wing back options which is a bit of a blessing as we so far have only found out who isnt ideal  apart from Spence who we felt was not worthy of keeping.  

midfield is the real problem area, McNair , Howson, Tavernier escape my cull but they all need to string some consistant good performances together and find an area that suits them , Crooks has b, een a nice suprise to me in the goals that hes been inviolved in , kind of what i was expecting with Saville,  idlove to see more of Payero and Siliki as im sure they can be fan favourites once they actually are made to feel wanted here. then there s the four extra wide midfielders , Hernandez, Jones, Olusenya and MIA guy Ameoebi , i cant see any of those being a major part of a long rebulid at this moment in time . 

striker wise id persevere with Sporar and Watmore ,maybe Coburn is worth the time ,investment and tutoring to give him a few more years to develop. 

finally goalies, my opinion of course but id keep Stojanavic on  the boks even if only as 3rd choice GK, Lumley i like far more than Bettinelli but id replace daniels as he suffers from the same problem as Bettinelli,  if its a shot on target,its a goal. OH  ive forgotten one player that just could be the Wild(er) card in the revamp, so hes worth another look at the very least ...Marcus Browne. 

I'd file Marcus Browne with Hernandez and Olusanya. He's a wide player that's just not going to suit our shape. Seems a nice guy and all but we may as well move him on if we're not going to use wide attackers.

Humpty, it might not come off but i think Marcus Browne possibly could play a similar role to that ,what  Norwood did for Wilder at sheff utd. i know its a shot in the dark but out of all our squad i believe he is the best  option,  i dont see him as a wide man at all.

14 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I'd file Marcus Browne with Hernandez and Olusanya. He's a wide player that's just not going to suit our shape. Seems a nice guy and all but we may as well move him on if we're not going to use wide attackers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Browne ends up as a second striker, playing the sort of Watmore role. He dabbled a little in that before his knee injury. 

It's what I quite like about Browne, I think he has the skillset to potentially flourish in a number of positions. I wonder if he could even work as a CM that bombs forward?

16 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

Humpty, it might not come off but i think Marcus Browne possibly could play a similar role to that ,what  Norwood did for Wilder at sheff utd. i know its a shot in the dark but out of all our squad i believe he is the best  option,  i dont see him as a wide man at all.

The whole round pegs in round holes quote from Wilder would maybe make me question that. Has Browne played centrally before?

3 minutes ago, Humpty said:

The whole round pegs in round holes quote from Wilder would maybe make me question that. Has Browne played centrally before?

Warnock was playing him centrally prior to his injury

5 minutes ago, Humpty said:

My understanding was that almost all of his career has been playing centrally

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Humpty said:

Did he not play either as a striker or off the striker for Oxford in his best spell?

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic