oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

35 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Do we think Jones is going to make the RWB spot his own or do we bring someone in? He's had some good games and is lightning quick, but isn't the strongest player. I could forgive Wilder for bringing in someone new for the role, send Hernadez back and allow Jones to battle for both the RWB spot and the more attacking roles. Get Spence back instead of Hernandez would be a decent switch. I don't really rate Hernadez. Plenty of skill on the ball but no real end product. 

Out: 2 of the keepers, Hernandez, Uche

In: Stiker, RWB, Keeper

I like Jones a lot but if he is to nail down that RWB he is going to have to learn how to defend as well as contribute in the top third of the pitch. There were times on Saturday that he was caught well out of position and put the centre backs in one on ones, also needs to get goal side of his attacker and learn how to slow him down  He is still learning though and I am sure the coaches are drilling this into him

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Jones has performed well enough that I'd leave Spence where he is and re address it in the summer. 

I'd be open to selling Uche, Hall and cancelling JLS and Hernandez. A loan for Coburn too.

The only position I'd be looking to buy in January is a better option to Watmore. A bit more of a link man than a headless runner who is more technically gifted and intelligent on the ball.

Just now, Dan1234 said:

Jones has performed well enough that I'd leave Spence where he is and re address it in the summer. 

I'd be open to selling Uche, Hall and cancelling JLS and Hernandez. A loan for Coburn too.

The only position I'd be looking to buy in January is a better option to Watmore. A bit more of a link man than a headless runner who is more technically gifted and intelligent on the ball.

The problem with leaving Spence where he is is that it's strengthening a direct rival without any great benefit to us.

Forest are only a point below us right now, and could easily be ahead of us by January.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Id get rid of Uche and probably prefer to use Coburn from the bench as an option. I’m not even that convinced we need an additional striker in all honesty. We have a good option here on the bench with Coburn who is rather use to gain some experience. 

As we play two up front we need four strikers. I'd get rid of Uche and replace him with a fast, hardworking forward. I mentioned Michael Uhre on here before as he's available for around 1-1,5 million and he would suit our style perfectly. Never stops running and a very good finisher.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned in the past, it's always worth remembering that Spence can only play for us or Forest between now and the end of the season. I think @TeaCider24 is right, keeping him at Forest may not be beneficial to our own ambitions and that may drive our thinking but if we do bring him back, we have to try and use him or else devalue him as he can't go anywhere else and play.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

As others have mentioned in the past, it's always worth remembering that Spence can only play for us or Forest between now and the end of the season. I think @TeaCider24 is right, keeping him at Forest may not be beneficial to our own ambitions and that may drive our thinking but if we do bring him back, we have to try and use him or else devalue him as he can't go anywhere else and play.

Bringing him back will have him compete with Jones, and if we send Hernandez back then Jones will also fill in further up the field, so plenty of chances for Spence to play. It would also mean that we don't have to spend money on a player leaving funds to strengthen other important areas like goalkeeper and up front.

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Tav dismissed talks about Leeds over the weekend. I know it doesn't mean much but now it's out there and there usually isn't smoke without fire. I still expect him to stay here though.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:25 PM, TLF10 said:

Talking of GKs what do people think of a 6 month loan deal for Tom Heaton? Currently 3rd choice at Utd. He is 35 now but still a very able GK at this level I would imagine.

I think he's registered as part of their squad to help fulfill their home grown quota, so i think that one's dead in the water unless they can fulfill it without him.

43 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Bringing him back will have him compete with Jones, and if we send Hernandez back then Jones will also fill in further up the field, so plenty of chances for Spence to play. It would also mean that we don't have to spend money on a player leaving funds to strengthen other important areas like goalkeeper and up front.

there’s two considerations for me in this.

Firstly, I think some of this depends on where we are going to play Djik. If he is now a CB then I would want a RWB to come in and Spence is the most obvious choice. He can challenge Jones for the spot and competition will be good for both of them. 

I don’t want it to be the case that if Jones has a dip in form, suspension or injury that we are having to juggle several players about.

the secondary issue is where is Spence’s head. Does he want to come back or is he done with Middlesbrough. I don’t want anyone that may be disruptive in the dressing room. I am not saying he is or isn’t I have no knowledge either way but I would want to know where his head is at.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I think he's registered as part of their squad to help fulfill their home grown quota, so i think that one's dead in the water unless they can fulfill it without him.

Looking at Sheff Utd most of the keepers he brought in were around 22. I wouldn’t be surprised with a loan move for a Liverpool or Man City keeper.

It’s clear Wilder plans on a long term stay at Boro.

He has a “free hit” this season, as expectations are not sky high.

We have limited money available and moving players on may not be easy as supposedly we pay more that a lot of clubs (maybe to get players to the north-east?).
All of the above suggests to me, he will only sign players in January who are exactly what he wants and that if he can’t find them he will be prepared to wait until the summer rather than settle for something second best. That being the case we might not see as much movement as is hoped. The departures might be limited to those who definitely can’t  fit into the style and those with longer term contracts where we might as well take the hit now as later, but in each case only where we can find the right replacement and we get the right saving (either in transfer fee or in cutting wage bill). Incomings might be one or two permanents, plus loans from Premier League where we have no long term commitment or huge cost

In terms of possible departures, Hall fits into the first category and if we can’t find an experienced replacement, Wilder might be planning to use Wood to give him experience and see if he can step up.

Uche fits into both categories and if we can get some of our money back, I think he will be on the road.

With Hernandez and JLS, it depends on whether there are any recall clauses allowing us to end the loan in January. I would doubt it - and both can do as squad members until end of season, so I am a bit doubtful they will be on the way.

Stoj ends his contract at the end of the season and he may be able to find another club to take on his wages. If he does, then maybe one of Hemmings or Brynn will be recalled as third keeper. In terms of quality I think they would be fine, although in many ways they would be better getting first team experience where they are. Although I am not a fan of either Daniels or Lumley, again I think our wage commitment to them may prevent either leaving - unless we can and want to loan an equivalent of Dean Henderson ( as he was when SU loaned him).

If Wilder can get his ball playing centre half, then Dijksteel can cover RWB and I would leave Spence to get the experience at Forest. yes, it helps them, but it may be beneficial in long term either in his development and attitude or in raising his value.

So for me, OUT - Hall, Uche, Stoj and Browne and Coburn on loan. IN - good centre half and a couple of forwards, maybe one on loan. Also either Taylor or another left back for the rest of the season. Any other incomings only where we get a bargain or cut out other clubs ( e.g. where a player will be out of contract in summer and we would end up in a bidding war)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Humpty said:

Ah i see. I thought he was bought in as it was anticipated Henderson might be loaned out. They still got Lee Grant i think who 4th choice there. 

17 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Ah i see. I thought he was bought in as it was anticipated Henderson might be loaned out. They still got Lee Grant i think who 4th choice there. 

I think United have been trying to use Henderson when they can since Sheffield United last loaned him, don't think there was a plan for him to be loaned out.

A list of some the players out of contract at the end of this season, might be worth a punt on a few for cheap if we have some cash to spend and teams don't want them to move on for free.

Questions are would you want in? and who would suit Wilder the best?

Forum favourite Jed Wallace would do well in the McGoldrick role, did you know under Pulis we nearly signed him with Geor.... etc etc. He was actually on BBC Radio 5 as the player commentator for Chelsea V Watford mid week, came across as a very intelligent and likeable guy (which is very unusual for Millwall players).

Full list can be found here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2

My first input into the forum so enjoy.

image.thumb.png.8d414a5601a86a96e1ff421a74e64153.png

image.thumb.png.e457e26a53e3f56684a2f0b0bfdca15d.pngimage.thumb.png.65fb1d2ecbdd7bef03e1c54e2f2e9db7.pngimage.thumb.png.2066d1a7dc461c2cdf1d4b69dcab852d.png

• Like 4
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic