oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

Credited with finding Watkins and Maupay at Brentford and a few decent ones that Swansea have had (Piroe most recently). Been the victim of some internal political strife with the new DOF at Swansea but seems a real asset. Gary Gills shoes finally filled after all these years 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Is this a case where one Scott is English and the other Scott is Welsh? 😃

Sure I remember reading that the Scots were really Irish and the Picts were the true Jokkinese.          just to clarify things 🙂 

We finally have what many of us have wanted for years, Gibson in charge of the financial side and experts in charge of the football side.

A lot of positivity around the club at the moment 

• Like 11
4 hours ago, DevKWat said:

We finally have what many of us have wanted for years, Gibson in charge of the financial side and experts in charge of the football side.

Yep great to finally see and with wilder in charge who clearly knows how to use players properly things are really looking up imo.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DevKWat said:

It's great - we're finally starting to look like a modern club. I'd love to know the thinking that got us from Woodgate to here.

Do we think he genuinely believed Woody could do all of this on his own? Or was it (as some suspected) the absolute cheapest option and just crossing fingers we stayed up that year? I guess the other possibility is Gibson finally saw the light and realised he hadn't exactly been nailing the off field decisions so the way we operated needed to change.

I'm not complaining... love the direction we're headed. Just wondering what finally made Gibson sort it out. 

11 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

It's great - we're finally starting to look like a modern club. I'd love to know the thinking that got us from Woodgate to here.

Do we think he genuinely believed Woody could do all of this on his own? Or was it (as some suspected) the absolute cheapest option and just crossing fingers we stayed up that year? I guess the other possibility is Gibson finally saw the light and realised he hadn't exactly been nailing the off field decisions so the way we operated needed to change.

I'm not complaining... love the direction we're headed. Just wondering what finally made Gibson sort it out. 

We managed to ditch a lot of big player contracts during that time so it could've always been the plan to consolidate until we're at a more sustainable level and then we could start to put a proper structure into place as the wage bill has gone from £40m to about £25m in a couple of years we're starting to get to a more sustainable level with some wiggle room. Even if Woodgate was doing moderately well and was still here doing the job (lol) I believe we'd still have bought the "Great Scott's" in.

back to the future great scott GIF

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Blanco said:

Newcastle might be happy to cover his wages if it means they can clear a space in their squad to bring in a big gun in January 

Yeah - its not like money is a problem for them now.

If Chris can’t get the players he needs as long term investments then I believe it foolish to bring in and saddle ourselves with stop gaps. It’s simply a waste of revenue we may find hard to off load.
I don’t see the point in disrupting the current squad to bring in and settle temps and gambling on a play off place we are least likely to win if achieved.  
The squad is developing and good enough for mid table so why not spend more time in sorting out other areas beyond the pitch itself. 

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Blanco said:

Newcastle might be happy to cover his wages if it means they can clear a space in their squad to bring in a big gun in January 

What on Earth possessed them to offer him a new deal in the summer?

I know it was different ownership in the summer but even still, I can't understand why they would offer him a new 3-year contract, a player turning 32 who played less than 6 games worth of minutes last season who was already on seemingly daft money.

Gayle must be laughing one way or another.

38 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

What on Earth possessed them to offer him a new deal in the summer?

I know it was different ownership in the summer but even still, I can't understand why they would offer him a new 3-year contract, a player turning 32 who played less than 6 games worth of minutes last season who was already on seemingly daft money.

Gayle must be laughing one way or another.

They probably thought that they would protect their asset and hope they could sell him. After all they are in the prem so I'm sure his wages isn't a big problem and with a wage reduction clause if relegated they have a decent striker. As it is they will want rid of him now with the new owners but no championship club is going to take on his wages. I'll hapully take him but on sinsible wages within our squad. But not a three year contract.

• Like 1

On a loan untill the end of the season I'd be happy with. But at 32 I'd be unhappy with anything longer really. He is a good player but we have supposed to have moved on from bringing older players on big money here for one last pay day.  

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic