oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

Does feel more and more to me that it's not just Siliki's lack of impact since coming in (though still a lot about that) but also the fact that if we put him in now and he comes good then sods off to the AFCON for a month, we're still lacking a midfielder.

• Like 4
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Does feel more and more to me that it's not just Siliki's lack of impact since coming in (though still a lot about that) but also the fact that if we put him in now and he comes good then sods off to the AFCON for a month, we're still lacking a midfielder.

Looks like one of those players you get offered late in the window. Has the kind of pedigree where you are bound to be interested and given it's a loan the potential payoff could be big, but in the end he doesn't quite fit in and perhaps he wasn't completely sold on the move himself so during the course of the first half of the season we agree that he goes back in january to get his career back on track. Ligue 1 regular, Champions League experience and a regular for Cameroon is bound to be interesting for most Championship clubs. SHame it didn't work out because I really thought we got a bit lucky and that he would form a strong midfield three with Payero and Tav.

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I reckon you are right. We don't need a plethora of new players but if we can add a quality striker and keeper then I'll be happy and there are a number of players that I won't mind us moving on: I'm not fussed about any of the three keepers and I expect at least one of them to leave, Hall, Uche and Onel can leave for me too as can Siliki if Wilder has seen that he won't make it in the championship. That should be enough to add 2-3 quality players in the right positions. I'd rather add a few of quality and use the U23's as the outer resorts in case of unjury crisis. Why else keep an A grade academy. Do we really need someone like Siliki sitting on the bench when we can just as well have one from the academy?

I agree that trying to do some sort of massive overhaul in January would be a huge mistake and represent us giving up on the playoffs. It's also not clear to me whether any of the loans we currently have can be sent back. If we have a conditional requirement to buy then odds are we don't have a termination clause. I think this means that we have a max of 2 loans left.

If we can't send the loans back then that leaves us 1 space plus possibly moving on Hall and/or not re-signing Taylor. We haven't been able to sell Dejan so far and there's no reason to think that will change. Maybe we'll be able to loan out Uche.

I very much doubt there's a striker available in our price range who is better than Sporar or Watmore so that means loaning in someone like Balogun to provide competition. Likewise, people obsess about keepers (I remember that every year fans started to agitate to get rid of Schwarzer) but I doubt we'll get an upgrade on Lumley this window. We do need a left-footed centre back. I also don't expect to see Spence back so we may look to loan in wing-back to provide cover and competition for Jones. If we bring back Spence when he doesn't want it, he'll just sulk. If Lea Siliki doesn't show any signs of coming good, I can see us looking for a left-sided midfielder as competition for Tav. 

If we can't move on Hall, Uche or Dejan and we keep Taylor for cover we have room for precisely one in-coming signing. Then again the whole point of a good manager is to improve the players we already have rather than just buying better ones. 

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

If we can't move on Hall, Uche or Dejan and we keep Taylor for cover we have room for precisely one in-coming signing. Then again the whole point of a good manager is to improve the players we already have rather than just buying better ones. 

You can move nearly anyone on, unless they absolutely refuse to go. The critical equation is how much Boro are paying them, how much anyone else is willing to pay them and whether the difference that Boro still have to cover makes it uneconomic to move them on. It’s already been said on here (don’t know it was someone in know?) that Hall has been told he won’t play again and can go. 
We have one spare place in squad and if Hall is paid off and Browne sent on loan, that would leave three spare places for new outfield signings. If we are desperate to get a new keeper now, then Dejan  has already been on loan, so presumably he will be willing to go out again to put himself in shop window for summer when his Boro contract ends. I think it comes down to economics and whether the ideal players ( I.e. those Wilder really wants) are available in January. I think that will restrict us as much as the squad limit.

• Like 1

I would try to get as much as possible out of Forrest for Spence. I don't think Spence would want to come back to us. I have watched Forrest a couple of times and never thought we need him back ASAP. Take the money and invest in a striker.

You shouldn’t believe everything you read but IF it’s true that Spence is already saying he essentially doesn’t want to come back then get him sold whilst his stock is quite high.

He was lazy and disinterested when he was here and that’s the first sign that his attitude, especially with us hasn’t really changed. There are far better players than Djed Spence in this world, possibly including the RWB we already have..

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

You shouldn’t believe everything you read but IF it’s true that Spence is already saying he essentially doesn’t want to come back then get him sold whilst his stock is quite high.

He was lazy and disinterested when he was here and that’s the first sign that his attitude, especially with us hasn’t really changed. There are far better players than Djed Spence in this world, possibly including the RWB we already have..

All true, but what we don't have (in many areas of the pitch) is decent competition for places. I think it was Mourinho who said he wanted two comparable players for every position - Spence would give us that at RWB, with no square pegs in round holes.

Playing devil's advocate, if there's a significant risk of Spence chucking his toys out of the pram if we recall him, we should sell him to Forest for a few mil while they still want him. Then we either sign a good RWB, or promote the most suitable player from the Academy as a stand-in to learn his craft on the subs bench and through the odd half-hour matchday substitution.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic