oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

15 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Well, the first part was simply a response to give examples of how he, or any other young player for that matter, could influence others in a dressing room. I never actually said he was doing any of those things - it’s up to others to decide whether they think it likely.
As far as thinking he is “too big for his boots”, I think there’s lot of young players this probably applies to - often egged on by agents. We all have our own opinions, but I don’t think suggesting that he is that is exactly character assassination.

Yeah the first part, sure. But after that, you're apparently attributing a generalisation across to him, that a lot of young players are too big for their boots. A lot of them aren't too so I'm not sure why the suggestion is that Spence would be one of them.

On a separate note, I do feel as well that this idea he wanted to leave before we brought him into the team is a bit daft if that's intended to show him in a bad light. He already left Fulham to come here in the hope of making the grade, if he didn't think that was gonna happen, he's right to keep his options open for the good of his career, not to hang on for dear life until the carrot gets dangled in front of him, if indeed it ever will be from his past self's perspective.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Let’s just say he left a club to join a club, who decided they don’t really need him as much as they thought they did, so past him over to a club who did want him, who play him. 
The result being Forest are happy, he is happy  and we are happy because his value has gone up. Win, win. 
If he is not going to be first choice then would it wise to call him back, no because no one benefits. 
If the intent is to make him first choice would another quality player want to join, no, if he fails his value depreciates and we go on the market. 
My take on this. If we are sure he fits in, open dialog, align and bring him back. If we don’t align get the best offer available, go on the market. 
The point being as a stakeholder he must be consulted and committed otherwise let him go.  

With Jones and Spence, we have two high quality, young RWB's that are playing regularly in the Championship at RWB, with their development and value both improving game by game. Most Championship teams would love to have just one of them so we're in a very fortunate position to have both of them under contract. If we recall Spence then one of him or Jones are going to be regularly sat on the bench, with their development stagnating and value dropping. That's the worst case scenario. I'd much rather see Spence flourish at Forest and Jones continue to similarly impress as our first choice RWB, than see Spence return and one of them waste away on the bench for 6 months.

As we need to sign a significant number of new players to fit Wilder's system and also raise as much funds as possible, it's imperative that we manage out saleable assets like Spence and Jones shrewdly so that we can maximise their development and transfer value.

A good compromise for all parties could be for us to give Spence a new long-term contract, increasing his wages to reflect his performances this season, and keep him on loan at Nottingham Forest with them agreeing to pay his higher wages. Then we play Jones as our first choice RWB and either use our under 23's Joe Gibson as back up or bring in someone who can provide back up on low wages.

• Like 4

You can’t alter a contract mid way through unless you have the consent of all parties or a clause is written in to allow for it, which would be highly unlikely. I can’t see Forest agreeing to that unless we threaten to take him back at which point we’d be cutting off our noses in your scenario. 

i do agree with a lot you’ve said though.

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah the first part, sure. But after that, you're apparently attributing a generalisation across to him, that a lot of young players are too big for their boots. A lot of them aren't too so I'm not sure why the suggestion is that Spence would be one of them.

On a separate note, I do feel as well that this idea he wanted to leave before we brought him into the team is a bit daft if that's intended to show him in a bad light. He already left Fulham to come here in the hope of making the grade, if he didn't think that was gonna happen, he's right to keep his options open for the good of his career, not to hang on for dear life until the carrot gets dangled in front of him, if indeed it ever will be from his past self's perspective.

If I remember rightly, there was a lot of comment on here some time ago when Spurs were supposedly interested, that he or his agent were trying to stir up interest that wasn’t necessarily there, or if it was, wasn’t more than a general interest. I’m pretty sure, without going back over it all, that a lot of people thought he was trying to push himself more than his play warranted. That’s why I suggested he was maybe a bit over confident. 
I don’t blame any player for trying to better himself, just feel they sometimes need to be a bit more  realistic and that this probably applied to him.  Maybe he did come to us  with the best of intentions, or equally maybe he was assuming too much at Fulham and they didn’t react quick enough for him so he forced the issue. Who really knows?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

If I remember rightly, there was a lot of comment on here some time ago when Spurs were supposedly interested, that he or his agent were trying to stir up interest that wasn’t necessarily there, or if it was, wasn’t more than a general interest. I’m pretty sure, without going back over it all, that a lot of people thought he was trying to push himself more than his play warranted. That’s why I suggested he was maybe a bit over confident. 
I don’t blame any player for trying to better himself, just feel they sometimes need to be a bit more  realistic and that this probably applied to him.  Maybe he did come to us  with the best of intentions, or equally maybe he was assuming too much at Fulham and they didn’t react quick enough for him so he forced the issue. Who really knows?

To be honest, if we're looking at generalising agents or players, I'd probably more likely look at the former because agents paydays come from where the money is and when the move happens to the Premier League.

It's not all too shocking if an agent is trying to formulate a move higher up the ladder even if we would all have agreed it wasn't in his best interests. Some players, it will be their own natural desire to play at the highest level or earn the most money ASAP but if we're talking about bad influences, I'd be more inclined to believe Spence's thoughts at that time were being driven by his agent than his own feelings.

Similarly, not based on anything beyond my own opinion of the situation of course. But I don't think either way that this looks bad on Spence's character either, even if it was his desire to move further up then that's not necessarily a bad influence in a dressing room or with U23s or anything like that.

I'm honestly not sure we'd even be talking about his influence behind the scenes if he had come off the back of a better season last time out. This isn't directed at you but I often find people will find any way to justify their opinion against one of our players when they're not doing well. Spence is just another in a line that includes both past and present, Downing had it during both spells here, Tav has had the same attitude thing directed at him in the last couple of years too.

58 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19786535.hartlepool-manager-graeme-lee-touches-base-boro-potential-signings/

There a chance this was also discussed yesterday but if not its nice to bring you a fresh story.

Think this one is fresh 🤣

Seems the obvious thing to do. Graeme will know these players better than just about anybody.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic