oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

48 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Wilder would like our transfer business done prior to Jan 6. Perhaps he has a couple of deals agreed? This guy won’t let the grass grow under his feet!

seems a familiar wish that, reality is sadly always different but who knows

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I have gone off the idea of Dwight Gayle. His record in championship for both Newc and WBA was good but that was going on 3yrs now. He is now 32 and barely kicked a ball since he played for WBA in May 2019 I think. 40 appearances over 3 seasons and I could probably count on one hand how many of them were starts

I would take Balogun over him any day puret because Balogun has the potential to do what the likes of Abraham, Brewster, Bamford rtc done at this level. The personal motivation for him to come to this level and perform will be sky high.

Whereas am not sure where Daight Gayle at 32 is in terms of motivation and hunger.

That's a fair point but I think Gayle would be more likely to hit the ground running. From the few times I've seen Balogun in Arsenal's first team this season nothing suggests he would do the same and for a short term loan for a team looking to get into the playoffs I'm not sure we can afford too much inconsistency.

I'd imagine the majority of footballers just want to get on the pitch and make the most of a short career. Nothing in Gayles career suggests he has a bad attitude and lacks motivation rather on the contrary he would probably be raring at a chance to get regular games again and score some goals if nothing else to get one last decent contract.

In all fairness either would make us stronger and I wouldn't be against Balogun at all but I just wonder if he can perform well consistently enough to push us on to push us up to the next level as a top 6 team.

Because our scouting department love a CM we have been linked with St Mirren player Jamie McGrath. 

we were linked with him late in the last window as well. out of contract in the summer other than that I know nothing about him

Looking at Transfermarkt, the season before he joined us Bamford played 23 times in League 1 for MK Dons scoring 14 and 3 assists then 21 times in the Championship for Derby scoring 8  with 3 assist. He was massively more experienced than Balogun who has, so far, played just twice in any sort of league. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/patrick-bamford/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/183334/plus/0?saison=2013&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

A nearer comparison would be Nketiah who has played 17 championship games (for Leeds). The Leeds fans were up in arms due to Bielsa picking Bamford ahead of Nketiah that season.

Not to say that Balogun isn't a good option but Coburn is more experienced and Balogun looks more like a backup for Watmore and Hernandez than he does for Sporar. He has been tearing up Premier League 2 from the looks of it.

Personally, if Nketiah was an option I would go for him but both him and Balogun and quite small and look like they are better playing off a striker like Sporar in which case you have to question whether either of them are really better in the support striker role than Watmore and Hernandez.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Looking at Transfermarkt, the season before he joined us Bamford played 23 times in League 1 for MK Dons scoring 14 and 3 assists then 21 times in the Championship for Derby scoring 8  with 3 assist. He was massively more experienced than Balogun who has, so far, played just twice in any sort of league. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/patrick-bamford/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/183334/plus/0?saison=2013&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

A nearer comparison would be Nketiah who has played 17 championship games (for Leeds). The Leeds fans were up in arms due to Bielsa picking Bamford ahead of Nketiah that season.

Not to say that Balogun isn't a good option but Coburn is more experienced and Balogun looks more like a backup for Watmore and Hernandez than he does for Sporar. He has been tearing up Premier League 2 from the looks of it.

Personally, if Nketiah was an option I would go for him but both him and Balogun and quite small and look like they are better playing off a striker like Sporar in which case you have to question whether either of them are really better in the support striker role than Watmore and Hernandez.

I'm feeling that Chuba Akpom would be as likely to succeed under Wilder than either of those two and probably less of a gamble.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Because our scouting department love a CM we have been linked with St Mirren player Jamie McGrath. 

we were linked with him late in the last window as well. out of contract in the summer other than that I know nothing about him

He’s a very attack minded goal scoring midfielder. Has got a few caps now for Ireland and does look like he has something about him. I reckon he would be an inexpensive gamble that might pay off under Wilder 

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

We were pretty damn close to getting Mcgrath in the summer I believe so its not a surprise to see his name pop up again now.

could it mean the end of JLS?

1 hour ago, Mr_Maz said:

could it mean the end of JLS?

According to Transfermarkt (the source of all my knowledge) McGrath is a both-footed attacking midfielder. St Mirren seem to play him either as a number 10 or on the left of a front 3. So he does sound like an ideal fit for Wilderboro, providing competition for Tav. 

Assuming we can send JLS back, it's hard to imagine him ever playing for us under Wilder at this point. 

11 minutes ago, Bruce said:

According to Transfermarkt (the source of all my knowledge) McGrath is a both-footed attacking midfielder. St Mirren seem to play him either as a number 10 or on the left of a front 3. So he does sound like an ideal fit for Wilderboro, providing competition for Tav. 

Assuming we can send JLS back, it's hard to imagine him ever playing for us under Wilder at this point. 

It's difficult to know whats gone on in "Private" but I think it's imperative that JLS can "Kickstart" his football again otherwise he is walking a "Tightrope" by just sitting on the Boro bench. I can only recall "One Shot" at best from him and although his pedigree may tell us to say "Don't Go" there won't be many that will want to "Keep You" any more than we want to get "Beat Again"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It's difficult to know whats gone on in "Private" but I think it's imperative that JLS can "Kickstart" his football again otherwise he is walking a "Tightrope" by just sitting on the Boro bench. I can only recall "One Shot" at best from him and although his pedigree may tell us to say "Don't Go" there won't be many that will want to "Keep You" any more than we want to get "Beat Again"!

Where's the groan emoji when you need it?

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Crooks and Payero can fight it out for RCM, Tav and McGrath for LCM and hopefully we're looking at a younger DM who can provide competition for, and then take over from, Howson.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic