oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

48 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

To me it looked like he was posting a picture of a goal celebration, rather than a particular slight at the Brighton fans. Perhaps it was deleted when he found out how it was being taken? He certainly wouldn’t be the first to not get the tone right on social media. 

Seems to me that Brighton fans are fully sick of the lad, and are jumping on any interpretation which confirms their opinions. 

I know nothing of the lad, but it 100% seems like he needs to get away from Brighton, its nightlife and its fans. Perhaps a move somewhere less fashionable to concentrate on his career is just what he needs?

That’s a fair point, it could just be at the stage where everything he does is taken wrongly. We’ve definitely been there as fans with players. 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

7 hours ago, CrazyL said:

I agree. Or social media or The Sun. Nor should he be. Which also answers the Q above from Boksic about his parting Instagram shot. I don’t care. I will judge the lad by what he does on the field for MFC. And if Djed Spence did the same if he leaves for Forest I equally wouldn’t give a crap. Why would anybody? I mean would anybody really lose sleep over a footballer ‘unfollowing’ a football club on social media? It’s about as meaningless as it gets in the grand scheme of things. 

Fair enough. I do think that social media is an important aspect of football these days and footballers can and do use it to speak out to fans, clubs other players etc. 

This whole story broke because of his social media activity and a lot of people felt that it was noteworthy to piece this move together, which now looks like it’s going to happen less than 36 hours later. 

Lets hope he works out and this can all be forgotten about. 

• Like 1

Aslong as the lad wants to come here and does well for us, that's all I care about. He is still young, has scored goals in the Premier league and also at international level. Can play LW, RW CF and SS (according to transfermrkt) 

Our team seems to have a good morale and it might rub off on him. If he signs I'd give him a chance.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

He hasn't scored loads of goals anywhere has he?  Other than Premier League 2, where our previous and current young lads are fairly prolific as well looking at it.  I think everyone will support him, the question that some are asking is whether it might be better to look elsewhere.

Sounds like your desperate for him to fail 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Why on earth would any Boro fan want a Player to fail?

There is a huge difference between thinking a Player is best avoided and that there are better, less contentious and more suitable Players out there for the money we will be investing in him be it a loan fee and part or even all of his wages. The minimum investment will likely be £500k over his 6 months time here.

The lad hasn't done anything anywhere yet and apart from a few clips of undoubted talent he has thus far proved nothing other than being a bit of an immature idiot and a liability around his current employers. All the signs point to him continuing to be a non scoring underachieving Striker with a bad attitude who is going to cost us money for little to nothing in return. He is very reminiscent of Jordan Jones, another young lad who wasted his talent by behaving like an idiot wherever he went as each club and manager hoped they could change him. 

If he pulls on the shirt all Boro fans will want him to score and deliver. Reality however is that all the signs are that he will be a complete waste of a squad number and become a problem. If he delivers then Scott will be lauded a genius, if as likely Connolly continues with his decision making as he has since he left Galway Scott will be derided as an idiot in landing us with a problem which could be clearly seen coming. Having the foresight to see that isn't wanting a Player to fail it's wanting the Club to do better.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, FinallyRegistered said:

I don’t think the Connolly Instagram thing is any different from a player celebrating in front of his old supporters. Obviously he feels that he’s got something to prove. Hopefully he can start proving it on the pitch and show Brighton what they’re missing. 

They're not his old supporters yet.

He's still a Brighton player, and he's only leaving on loan.

It's childish and needlessly antagonistic.

He might well have to play in front of those fans he's mocking again.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills if that is what you took from that post.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mr_Maz said:

Wouldn't be happy with this unless he was coming back to be first choice. The lad's playing every week in Scotland and playing well. Think it's fairly unanimous that our keepers aren't good enough so I'd rather see us leave Sol where he's developing and look for a first choice keeper rather than bring him back to sit on the bench or the reserves.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

So in conclusion then, the lad is an absolute bell whiff but he could come here and score lots of goals, which would be more than okay.

As long as he doesn't shag Sporar's missus I'll support him if he signs.

Well if he did come here and score a lot of goals, that would be the first time he's done so anywhere (at a significant level).

Also what's this about Sporar's missus...are you worried he'll take your spot or something? 😜

One thing I did find interesting in that article on the Brighton forum was how they mentioned most of the other players had spent time in the lower leagues, which apparently had a character building effect on them and made them appreciate being with a PL club far more. 

Maybe 6 months at Boro could have a similar effect on Connolly? 🤷‍♂️

If he does come here and do well, its a fair bet Brighton will want him back...unless its decided the club / area just aren't good for him professionally...

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Why on earth would any Boro fan want a Player to fail?

There is a huge difference between thinking a Player is best avoided and that there are better, less contentious and more suitable Players out there for the money we will be investing in him be it a loan fee and part or even all of his wages. The minimum investment will likely be £500k over his 6 months time here.

The lad hasn't done anything anywhere yet and apart from a few clips of undoubted talent he has thus far proved nothing other than being a bit of an immature idiot and a liability around his current employers. All the signs point to him continuing to be a non scoring underachieving Striker with a bad attitude who is going to cost us money for little to nothing in return. He is very reminiscent of Jordan Jones, another young lad who wasted his talent by behaving like an idiot wherever he went as each club and manager hoped they could change him. 

If he pulls on the shirt all Boro fans will want him to score and deliver. Reality however is that all the signs are that he will be a complete waste of a squad number and become a problem. If he delivers then Scott will be lauded a genius, if as likely Connolly continues with his decision making as he has since he left Galway Scott will be derided as an idiot in landing us with a problem which could be clearly seen coming. Having the foresight to see that isn't wanting a Player to fail it's wanting the Club to do better.

Wanting the club to do better. I don’t know who you want us to sign. You said yesterday you wouldn’t have foden or grealish so *** knows what our recruitment team should be looking for? 

14 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

They're not his old supporters yet.

He's still a Brighton player, and he's only leaving on loan.

It's childish and needlessly antagonistic.

He might well have to play in front of those fans he's mocking again.

Your last line "He might well have to play in front of those fans he's mocking again" made me think that maybe Connolly is of the belief that he won't be playing in front of those supporters again which would perhaps indicate that any deal would be a permanent one?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Wanting the club to do better. I don’t know who you want us to sign. You said yesterday you wouldn’t have foden or grealish so *** knows what our recruitment team should be looking for? 

I don't want the Club to be signing Players that could be disruptive and potentially cause a problem. A Manager has to be able to manage the Players at his disposal both on and off the pitch to maintain his credibility and respect.

Players who breach club rules are not team players and cause issues. If you have a Mega rich Oil Billionaire owner who throws money around like confetti then you can take more gambles and risks like that knowing that they may implode but it's loose change to them

I'd rather we sign Players who are skilful but also know that being a team member goes way beyond the training ground and Saturday afternoon at 3.00pm. Players who realise they are privileged and who have personal and social responsibilities and are grateful to be in the position they are in life. People like Crooks, Southgate, Friend or TLF just as Boro examples. They don't have to be Saints just not disruptive idiots disrespecting the Club and their team mates and manager. I'd rather we signed a Rashford or Mane than a Foden or Grealish if that helps you to grasp it.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic