oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Happy to admit when I’m wrong.. maybe have tainted memories of that season just remember thinking we looked off the pace at the back and teams seemed to cut through us easily and run around us. 

if anyone has a link to all our conceded goals that season  I’ll happily have a watch to jog my memory .

with Gibbo as well seem To remember he didn’t look as solid as he has done the season before in the Champ. 

again only memory of it.. stats may say different.

35 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Also the fact we were as creative as the writers of Mrs Brown's Boys

And somehow watching Boro get relegated was the funnier of the two...

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1
8 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

And somehow watching Boro get relegated was the funnier of the two...

You English have no sense of humour 🙄

I’m sure I did a post somewhere a while ago which showed how many goals we conceded in comparison to those teams around us. We were quite low down in terms of goals conceded but as many have alluded to, we just weren’t creative and sharp up the other end. Probably down to Karanka not sacrificing defensive position over goal scoring opportunities. 

it’s a shame because we were solid but blunt 😒

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Humpty said:

Chambers was the stand out defender. It resulted in him getting a chance back at Arsenal once he returned. He’s had some bad luck with injuries that lad.

Gibson was the standout defender, in fact, he was the standout player overall, and it wasn't really close with anyone else.  Chambers looked decent enough though, and a fair bit better than the other defenders we had on the books then.

2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I’m sure I did a post somewhere a while ago which showed how many goals we conceded in comparison to those teams around us. We were quite low down in terms of goals conceded but as many have alluded to, we just weren’t creative and sharp up the other end. Probably down to Karanka not sacrificing defensive position over goal scoring opportunities. 

it’s a shame because we were solid but blunt 😒

We lost games we didn't even try to win but we lost them 1-0 or 2-1 say.  I think there was a game down at Southampton where we seemed to be more than happy to take a one nil defeat.  I seem to remember people on here being quite happy with it as well because the goal difference was going to be crucial 🤦‍♂️

Just had a quick look at the game I mentioned there.  Lost 1-0, we had 3 shots in total, and made one substitution bringing on Traore for Stuani with 9 mins remaining.  Rhodes played up front on his own all game long, our midfield three was Clayton, Forshaw, and de Roon.  Fischer and Stuani were out wide.  Absolutely *** garbage from Karanka.

Lowest shots per game in the League that season, hardly managed to break 10 shots in games throughout the season, only 2.6 shots on target per game which was also the lowest in the league, lowest number of key passes per game etc.  We were dreadful, and it was partly by design.

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We lost games we didn't even try to win but we lost them 1-0 or 2-1 say.  I think there was a game down at Southampton where we seemed to be more than happy to take a one nil defeat.  I seem to remember people on here being quite happy with it as well because the goal difference was going to be crucial 🤦‍♂️

Just had a quick look at the game I mentioned there.  Lost 1-0, we had 3 shots in total, and made one substitution bringing on Traore for Stuani with 9 mins remaining.  Rhodes played up front on his own all game long, our midfield three was Clayton, Forshaw, and de Roon.  Fischer and Stuani were out wide.  Absolutely *** garbage from Karanka.

yes i remember being really annoyed at that. probably around the time i wanted kranky out. he had loads of fans though. it was a tough time being an anti karanka fan back then. we got dogs abuse off the luvvies

2 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

yes i remember being really annoyed at that. probably around the time i wanted kranky out. he had loads of fans though. it was a tough time being an anti karanka fan back then. we got dogs abuse off the luvvies

I think that game might have been where a few changed their minds.  The general feeling seemed to be as long as we weren't getting battered then it was ok but that game annoyed quite a few people because Southampton weren't particularly good, and we just settled for the defeat rather than having a go at getting an equaliser and risk conceding another goal.

33 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think that game might have been where a few changed their minds.  The general feeling seemed to be as long as we weren't getting battered then it was ok but that game annoyed quite a few people because Southampton weren't particularly good, and we just settled for the defeat rather than having a go at getting an equaliser and risk conceding another goal.

van dijk stopping fischer scoring with some top defending half way through that. also seeing stuani sprint back chasing a winget when the fullback wanst even marking anyone just sat in the shape. and another bit where you could throw a hat on 4 of our players in the middle of our half but no saints player. we just keeping a tight shape. its annoying me watching these highlights. also how slow is whathisface up front. slower than uche. 

just looking back at our team then. i'd take stuani back right now. wilder would love him up top. imagine having stuani de roon friend and gibson in this team now. be champions man.

---paddy---fry --- gibbo

jones----de roon----friend

------crooks----tav

-------stuani sporar

i more legs in midfield a proper left wing back(ish) 3 left footer on the left. wilder would love it. big stu would score 20 odd in this team.

5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Gibson was the standout defender, in fact, he was the standout player overall, and it wasn't really close with anyone else.  Chambers looked decent enough though, and a fair bit better than the other defenders we had on the books then.

Chambers would be a perfect fit for the right centre-back under Wilder because he can play right or centre back. Of course that's one position in which we are well stocked. My memory is that he was doing ok for Arsenal without ever really convincing anyone then had two long spells out injured. 

6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Lowest shots per game in the League that season, hardly managed to break 10 shots in games throughout the season, only 2.6 shots on target per game which was also the lowest in the league, lowest number of key passes per game etc.  We were dreadful, and it was partly by design.

Argh, add to that the dire 0-0 away at WBA at the start of the season. WBA were so poor and we didn't even try to take advantage. Both teams just seemed to let the clock run down from the first whistle. That was just so poor. With just a tiny bit more risk we could easily have won that game. And little over a year later we go ahead and the WBA manager from that day🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

It’s a shame because we were solid but blunt 

In other words, that season we were the footballing equivalent of a dry Weetabix. And about as satisfying when it's served up.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic