oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Borodane said:

The Nottingham paper says there is no option to buy in the new loan deal for Spence, so we still hold all the aces if he continues to impress.

Nixon getting his facts wrong, surely not!

23 hours ago, Borodane said:

The main critique he gets is down to his goals and assist contribution. One goal and one assist in 23 games isn't good however you try and portray it. He get's into plenty of good positions around the box but the final ball or shot is just too often not good enough. He's also been on set pieces and the less said about that the better. He is undoubtedly a very talented footballer and easily good enough for any team in the championship, but he plays in a position where he needs to contribute more in terms of actual goal/assist output. Do I think we can get more out of him? Definately. Do I want to sell him? No. But can he be replaced? Definately.

Good reply.
Personally I would like to review his statistic after being with Chris for sometime rather then his past under NW. I don’t advocate keeping a player that is not full-filling a job description regardless of team results. What I mean by that is should the team be progressing and results favourable but a player KPI is below intended, replace him. 
Such is the state of the club that If we look at the statistics of all BORO players I can’t think of one that justifies the salary they are paid. This is why I am impressed with the turnaround since Chris arrival but should they remain, no! not unless they dramatically improve because I don’t believe we can sustain progress without a overall. That said change must be conducted with the least amount of disruption and only if it brings improvement.  

Has anyone seen much of Balogun? Is he really going to come in and improve us during the second half of a season? He's obviously talented if he's on the fringes of the Arsenal squad, but the Championship is a big step up from reserve football.

He'll have to hit the ground running pretty hard to become a first choice striker. I just wonder if either party gets what they need from this if he is only getting the odd sub appearance... 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Has anyone seen much of Balogun? Is he really going to come in and improve us during the second half of a season? He's obviously talented if he's on the fringes of the Arsenal squad, but the Championship is a big step up from reserve football.

He'll have to hit the ground running pretty hard to become a first choice striker. I just wonder if either party gets what they need from this if he is only getting the odd sub appearance... 

Nope, and I don't really have any hopes that he is going to come in and make a massive difference. We only have three strikers that suit our style, so we need another. Has a very good scoring record at reserve and youth team but has very few first team minutes in his career so far. I'm thinking more along the lines that we take him on for the remainder of the season, and if we don't get promoted we can maybe keep him for the entire next season where he will have a bigger input. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Borodane said:

Argh, add to that the dire 0-0 away at WBA at the start of the season. WBA were so poor and we didn't even try to take advantage. Both teams just seemed to let the clock run down from the first whistle. That was just so poor. With just a tiny bit more risk we could easily have won that game. And little over a year later we go ahead and the WBA manager from that day🤦‍♂️

WBA had Pulis in charge at the time too. I was speaking to a Brum fan on the way out and he was complaining that he had to watch that crap every week. And I remember thinking how lucky I was not having to endure that misery. 

Fast forward a few years and now I really understand his pain 😩

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Uwe said:

WBA had Pulis in charge at the time too. I was speaking to a Brum fan on the way out and he was complaining that he had to watch that crap every week. And I remember thinking how lucky I was not having to endure that misery. 

Fast forward a few years and now I really understand his pain 😩

That was what I was alluding to in my final sentence, but I forgot the word "appoint". I was just a bit over a year later that we appointed Pulis who was in charge of WBA on the day of that dire game, which must be one of the worst games in the PL history.

• Like 1

Well it’s Jan 5th and I was hoping for a couple of proving strikers, a controlling mid fielder and strengthening of the back line. I feel we need goals if we are to challenge for a play off, while games are won in midfield. With the press I still think we are weak in defence and I would really like to see signs of a vocal strong leader. 

• Confused 1

The stand out "tipping point" for me was the home game against West Ham when the Boro fans started chanting "attack, attack attack". At that point Karanka had lost the Riverside and the writing was on the wall then he was then kicked in the spheroids in that January Transfer window to put the icing on it.

6 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Well it’s Jan 5th and I was hoping for a couple of proving strikers, a controlling mid fielder and strengthening of the back line. I feel we need goals if we are to challenge for a play off, while games are won in midfield. With the press I still think we are weak in defence and I would really like to see signs of a vocal strong leader. 

Yeah I can get on board with that. Thankfully we only have 3 league games in january, and two of those are home games against Reading and Coventry, so we have plenty of time to get the right players in, and we have already got one striker in. I don't think we are particularly pressed, and if Wilder thinks Wood can contribute, then we already have a extra body there. We could do with a wingback or two though.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Leesider said:

I have to agree with the English lads on this one,

Mrs Browns Boys is about as funny as a prostate examination!

Well said! 👏

The fact that garbage like that is apparently so popular and gets so much praise just confirms my suspicion that the majority of TV watchers have had frontal lobotomies.

Not a patch on Father Ted. Now there was a quality comedy show.

• Like 6

The calibre of British comedy TV has gone down the pan for decades. Long gone are the Dad's Army, Are you being served, Only Fools and Horses, Porridge etc. ITV especially have a very small gene pool consisting of Ant & Dec, Phil and Holly, Stephen Mulhearn and one or two others who present every single "show" they come up with (or should that be throw up) the content of which is insulting to an amoeba with half a brain cell (no disrespect intended to amoebas if any are reading this). I blame Noel Edmonds and Blobby as that seemed to be the time when TV "Executives" collectively decided to just put any old manure on and as long as the dynamic Geordie duo were presenting it who cared!

From Captain Mannering, Godber, Mrs Slocombe, Rodders and Del Boy to eating Camel's backsides.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

We’re you really expecting 4 through the door by Jan 5th?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The stand out "tipping point" for me was the home game against West Ham when the Boro fans started chanting "attack, attack attack". At that point Karanka had lost the Riverside and the writing was on the wall then he was then kicked in the spheroids in that January Transfer window to put the icing on it.

He turned on the fans after the game too if I remember rightly. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The calibre of British comedy TV has gone down the pan for decades. Long gone are the Dad's Army, Are you being served, Only Fools and Horses, Porridge etc. ITV especially have a very small gene pool consisting of Ant & Dec, Phil and Holly, Stephen Mulhearn and one or two others who present every single "show" they come up with (or should that be throw up) the content of which is insulting to an amoeba with half a brain cell (no disrespect intended to amoebas if any are reading this). I blame Noel Edmonds and Blobby as that seemed to be the time when TV "Executives" collectively decided to just put any old manure on and as long as the dynamic Geordie duo were presenting it who cared!

From Captain Mannering, Godber, Mrs Slocombe, Rodders and Del Boy to eating Camel's backsides.

I'm sure TV executives are at least partly to blame and the failure to cultivate / recognise any real talent.

But...

*INCOMING CLICHÉ WARNING*

...I think modern culture and political correctness have had a detrimental effect too. Because mainstream viewers love to get outraged and offended by anything that challenges their views, then complain loudly and get said content cancelled.

Hence TV executives just want to play it safe and produce content that won't offend anyone. So any humour end up being limited to very bland, mundane stuff that would barely raise a chuckle in private conversation. But because its on TV everyone seems to treat it like the funniest thing they've ever seen.

Even later shows that I used to love like The Young Ones, The Fast Show, Harry Enfield & Chums, Father Ted and The League of Gentlemen probably wouldn't get made now, as they would be deemed "inappropriate". Best you can hope for is to catch the odd late-night re-run.

So now we're reduced to mainly watching "celebrities" (most of whom I've never heard of) doing gross / dangerous things or making idiots of themselves. Although you can still see some good adult humour on BBC's Live at the Apollo.

Anyway, veering dangerously off topic. Better start talking about transfers again!

Um...have we signed anyone yet?

• Like 4
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic