oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

12 minutes ago, expat-acklam said:

I am stating what I believe to be obvious here, Spence never played for Wilder, he played for Warnock, whose principal style of play was to bypass the midfield (including Spence) and hoof it to larger forwards. This did not play to Spence's strengths and so in general he looked frustrated and fed up. Cooper's style of play suites Spence down to the ground and with Brennan Johnson (if he ever became available Boro should jump on it) to link up with they form a natural pair. So I don't think it's a case of letting a brilliant Spence go as much as letting a player go who did not fit into Warnock's game plan. I am sure Wilder sees what he has to offer in terms of capability, but does not want to upset the balance that Boro have with Jones in that position, I believe that is essentially what he stated.

I think a lot of the issues Spence faced was the man marking job. When Warnock came Spence was still a very green defender - something like 20 first team appearances.

He was then asked to play a man marking role and lacked the knowledge and experience to effectively do this.

There were times when a more experienced defender would have past on his man seeing the danger in the space he was vacating.

That’s not really a criticism of Spence. He was a young inexperienced lad being asked to play a style and role you don’t see much of in modern football.

It’s no wonder he struggled with some of the defensive side of the game.

Watching him today he still has some of the basics that need working on he often tries to tackle with the wrong foot and if he’s not careful he will injury himself. 

I think we see with him that he can play the role Wilder would ask of him and play it well. I think though he needs this time away and to be playing regularly.

Whether by design accident or fortune it’s worked out well for us and Jones has been superb in that role and who knows what might have happened if Spence had still been here.

• Like 6
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Every Premier League team will take notice because of that, and there were a few interested anyway. If he keeps performing until the Summer we could have a large bidding war on our hands. Brilliant 

Just now, boro1981 said:

Didn’t wilder state “ round pegs in round holes “ so playing a right footer left wing back doesn’t seem to fit 

I don't think Jones as a wing back either side is really a round peg in a round hole either but the lad has adapted really well to it. Especially since Wilder came in and allowed him to contribute more on the attacking front but even when he played there under Warnock, he at least showed he could defend.

I’m assuming that Kingstonian’s young left back Bryant Akono Bilongo is among the “one for the future” prospects that Wilder was referring to when discussing us signing Boyd-Munce from Birmingham. Hopefully we can get that deal signed off soon as we’ve got a very good eye for a lower league prospect like him. He must have something about him considering he was close to joining Chelsea 3 months ago.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think Jones as a wing back either side is really a round peg in a round hole either but the lad has adapted really well to it. Especially since Wilder came in and allowed him to contribute more on the attacking front but even when he played there under Warnock, he at least showed he could defend.

Granted, but playing him on the left would be a hard adjustment for such a young lad who is playing really well in a more suitable position, hence why I think we are signing/linked with more left footed players

4 minutes ago, Hewie said:

I’ve just had a message to say mcgree to Celtic is a go. Apparently a lot more money than we offered. Probably helps that Ange is manager over there as well.

Can’t say I’m massively bothered to lose out on a cover player, sure we’ve got other targets 

6 minutes ago, Hewie said:

I’ve just had a message to say mcgree to Celtic is a go. Apparently a lot more money than we offered. Probably helps that Ange is manager over there as well.

Well, I hope he enjoys his two big games a season, where he gets beat in both!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Well, I hope he enjoys his two big games a season, where he gets beat in both!

Also has his CL and EL group games too! Which he’ll get beat in them all

23 minutes ago, Hewie said:

Sounds like they're potentially on the hook for £5m. I was interested in the signing at £2m, but £3m guaranteed with an extra £2m potential seems steep for the player in my opinion.

• Like 1
Just now, Will said:

Sounds like they're potentially on the hook for £5m. I was interested in the signing at £2m, but £3m guaranteed with an extra £2m potential seems steep for the player in my opinion.

Especially for someone who probably isn’t going to start

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic