oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

7 hours ago, sambaDTR said:

Looking at McGree on youtube he looks like he could easily take Tav’s place… if Tav goes.

His corners are better for starters.

(Thanks to the Celtic fan who put it on)!

Correct me if wrong. Same age as Tav, one more goal then Tav, so his value is what, taking corners? 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

In all fairness, I think we have given him enough time to develop.  He made hi debut 5 years ago and I dont think he has developed at the rate we would have liked him to.  At some point i think you have to to cut your losses and say enough is enough.

A kid on 18 make his debut in one of the toughest leagues in the world and you don’t think he has developed enough at 23, seriously? 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

In all fairness, I think we have given him enough time to develop.  He made hi debut 5 years ago and I dont think he has developed at the rate we would have liked him to.  At some point i think you have to to cut your losses and say enough is enough.

Cut what losses? He cost us nothing, is a mainstay in the team and puts in a shift for us every week 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

I don't think it's about cutting losses at all, it's the opposite.

The only reason for him to leave is if we make a big sale on him.

I'm happy for him to stay, but we've had a good few years of losing players for nothing or less than we paid for them.

It would be nice to actually make a sizeable profit for once.

If we were going to sell Tavernier, now or the summer is the time.

16 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

A young 23 who gives his heart and soul to the club and I feel it sad so many supporters have written Tav off. I may have been critical of his goal tally and final decisions but I still saw a player in development with investing. I don’t support those that have turned against him. 

Are people writing him off, or accepting that if a Prem tem comes in with a big offer we should sell him to help fund the rebuild that Wilder needs? As you say his goals/assist output can be replaced, but I'm still worried that we won't be the same team when he goes, as he does make us tick, and that too is a very important factor. 

As a CHampionship team we need to sell every now and then, and selling someone that didn't cost you a fee is good for FFP purposes. Ideally we keep all our best players and the keep signing new contracts, but the reality is often a bit different for a Championship team. Especially when we have a bit of a rebuild on our hands after a total change in tactics. Come the summer we might need to bring in 3 strikers!

• Like 2

Probably a bit of a contrary opinion but if we are looking at loaning Payero out then I would first be looking at keeping the loan in this country.

The recent picture of him in the gym had the 💪 on the post, so it may be that Wilder thinks at present he his too lightweight, and wants him to bulk up to be able to handle the rough and tumble of the championship.

Would consider offering him out to lower Championship clubs, or at a push even top L1 sides: Portsmouth, Plymouth or dare I say it - even Sunderland?!

He'd guarantee maximum minutes, would be the best player on the pitch and adapt to EFL football. Only sticking point is his wages, which I'm not sure on the details so may not even be feasible.

11 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

In fairness to him, he's had to try and develop under Pulis, Woody and Warnock, so he was kind of on a hiding to nothing.

He's been a victim of circumstance as much as anything...rather like Payero and JLS. Its unfortunate, but they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Had we had a manager like Wilder in place 5 years ago, he may have become the midfield superstar we all hoped he would be...but I guess we'll never know now.

If Tav and the others can have more active careers elsewhere then I think its in their own best interests to move on.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Cut what losses? He cost us nothing, is a mainstay in the team and puts in a shift for us every week 🤷‍♂️

I suppose this is where thinking of it like a business comes in, if cashing in on Tav helps with FFP going forward then replacing him with a player who is cheaper and plays at a similar level isn't that bad. Especially if it means we can continue to improve the squad elsewhere.

If we're going to loan out Payero then I'd much rather it was to a club in England (or Scotland) where he'd get game time. If we loan him out to a solid Bundesliga club for example, what if he really enjoys it there and we end up with another Djed Spence situation.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

I suppose this is where thinking of it like a business comes in, if cashing in on Tav helps with FFP going forward then replacing him with a player who is cheaper and plays at a similar level isn't that bad. Especially if it means we can continue to improve the squad elsewhere.

Agree with that @Johnmfc81 but even if Tav left for free in the summer we would not have had any losses with him to cut. He has been superb value for money regardless of any sale IMO

9 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

A kid on 18 make his debut in one of the toughest leagues in the world and you don’t think he has developed enough at 23, seriously? 

I didnt say he hadnt developed enough, I said at the rate we would have liked.
At 23-25 you really should be looking at an almost complete player, fair enough there may be a few wrinkles that need ironing out, but when I see Tav play I see some huge creases.  His dead ball delivery gets past the first man 50% of the time and then only a few of those are not over hit, he holds onto the ball for way too long but thats ok because when he loses the balls he chases back after it, Its great that he does the chasing back, but it would be better if he didnt lose it in the first place.  Its also known that he moans a lot when told to do stuff, hes not a kid any more and should know better........that my opinion anyway, youre more than welcome to yours.

30 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

Cut your losses by selling him to a team who are far better than us and play in a higher division than us?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Agree with that @Johnmfc81 but even if Tav left for free in the summer we would not have had any losses with him to cut. He has been superb value for money regardless of any sale IMO

I agree it wouldn't be seen as a loss financially, only it would in terms of an asset which we would have to replace, which unless it was another free transfer would of cost us something. 

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic