oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

11 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

So where has Gibson found all this money?

All of our signings equate to 8m on transfer marker (Pre McGree). 

If we sel Tav for 8m then we have offset the incomings of Payero, Uche, Crooks and the rest I’m sure through the wages saved. 

On top of more incomings, I’d hazard a guess at Spence money, but who knows how much that will be. 

also the gate receipts of united are about 2m 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We didn't buy Collins because we bought other players, like Barmby, Juninho, Emerson, and he went to Monaco instead.  Fair enough I would say on both our part and his?

Celtic might never get the quality of Larsson, that doesn't mean that players will be turning them down for League One though.  Larsson was a pretty good player, not sure we've had that many here as good as him over the years.  Celtic will always be a big club because the reasons for their support are not based on football.  To put it into some context, we do about £1.5m in merchandising business.  Celtic do about £20m.  We're not in the same galaxy as them in regards to support etc.

We didn't buy Collins because we couldn't agree a fee with Celtic and the he choose to see out his contract at Celtic and go on a bosman the following season to Monaco. We were attempting to buy him in the summer of 1995, he moved to Monaco the next summer. Nothing to do with us choosing to go elsewhere, we didn't end up buying a centre midfielder and went into the season with Pollock and Mustoe.

Celtic will always be a big club. However, it won't stop players choosing to play in England over Scotland and in 20 years as the growth of our game accelerates and leaves Scotland behind that will only get worse. Right now Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth, Ipswich are in league 1. I can definitely see a player choosing to play for clubs of that size over an even weaker Celtic in 20 years time. 

13 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

So where has Gibson found all this money?

I don't think we've found any money as such.  We'll be selling players either now or in the future to pay for the business we do now, assuming we don't hit the jackpot of course.

8 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

We didn't buy Collins because we couldn't agree a fee with Celtic and the he choose to see out his contract at Celtic and go on a bosman the following season to Monaco. We were attempting to buy him in the summer of 1995, he moved to Monaco the next summer. Nothing to do with us choosing to go elsewhere. 

Celtic will always be a big club. However, it won't stop players choosing to play in England over Scotland and in 20 years as the growth of our game accelerates and leaves Scotland behind that will only get worse. Right now Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth, Ipswich are in league 1. I can definitely see a player choosing to play for clubs of that size over an even weaker Celtic in 20 years time. 

How do you know it was nothing to do with choosing to go elsewhere?  We spent more money on other players than Celtic wanted at the time, it was like £3.5m or something like that, so it's hardly like we couldn't manage it.  

Celtic will always be a big club.  After that what else do you really need to say?  What benefit would anyone get in playing in League One over playing for Celtic?  They aren't going to get more money as things stand, the FFP rules wouldn't allow it in League One, as it's based on revenue down there as it is here, and nobody has a revenue like Celtic's at that level.

Edit - apparently the highest paid player in League One gets £16k per week.  The average wage is about £4.5k.

18 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

we've been cutting the wage bill down for an age about time we went for it again. this time we'll have to cut our cloth if its not looking like promotion next season. same as previously. 

We tailor our expenditure to stay within FFP, it’s when we get promoted to the premier league but come straight down our finances get badly stretched. When we are stable Gibson runs the finances well and always leaves some wriggle room each season, it’s not much but it’s usually the difference between being able to sign a player that even us fans think how are we able to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

How do you know it was nothing to do with choosing to go elsewhere?  We spent more money on other players than Celtic wanted at the time, it was like £3.5m or something like that, so it's hardly like we couldn't manage it.  

Celtic will always be a big club.  After that what else do you really need to say?  What benefit would anyone get in playing in League One over playing for Celtic?  They aren't going to get more money as things stand, the FFP rules wouldn't allow it in League One, as it's based on revenue down there, and nobody has a revenue like Celtic's at that level.

Because we didn't go elsewhere? Pollock and Mustoe played all season. 

Celtic will always be a big club yes. McGree is getting more money with us? That wouldn't have happened when we were a middle of the road championship club under Colin Todd say. Things change over time. They have from 1990 to now mainly due to the growth of the English game and Scottish football struggling to keep up. That trend will continue. 

Why do you think they want to join our league?

Anyway, we will find out in 2040. 

If we are loaning out Payero for the rest of the season then send him to Celtic to calm them down. Not sure whether  it would be easier for him to learn English in Scotland or Germany though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
21 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

Because we didn't go elsewhere? Pollock and Mustoe played all season. 

Celtic will always be a big club yes. McGree is getting more money with us? That wouldn't have happened when we were a middle of the road championship club under Colin Todd say. Things change over time. They have from 1990 to now mainly due to the growth of the English game and Scottish football struggling to keep up. That trend will continue. 

Why do you think they want to join our league?

Anyway, we will find out in 2040. 

So we did go elsewhere then?  We decided not to give Celtic what they wanted and play the players we already had instead.  Again, we spent more than Celtic wanted for him on other players, so why are you insisting that we couldn't afford him?  We clearly could but either we didn't want to pay it or he didn't want to come here.  With a Bosman move to Monaco a year later you could hardly blame him.

I don't know if McGree is getting more money with us but it certainly sounds that way.  I'm not sure that means anything other than we are willing to pay him more.  Their wage bill is already higher than ours, so they are clearly able to pay more than us for players overall.  This isn't likely to change any time soon because a lot of their revenue isn't from TV, and this isn't going to suddenly disappear unless their level of support vanishes, which isn't going to happen.  A League One club is nowhere near that kinda level.

They want to join our league to get more money.  We want to be in the Premier League to get more money.  Real Madrid and Barcelona wanted a Super League to get more money (as did the English clubs involved).  Everyone wants more than they have 🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

If we are loaning out Payero for the rest of the season then send him to Celtic to calm them down. Not sure whether  it would be easier for him to learn English in Scotland or Germany though?

The poor guy would come back Traumatised. Rather send him to League 1.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

So we did go elsewhere then?  We decided not to give Celtic what they wanted and play the players we already had instead.  Again, we spent more than Celtic wanted for him on other players, so why are you insisting that we couldn't afford him?  We clearly could but either we didn't want to pay it or he didn't want to come here.  With a Bosman move to Monaco a year later you could hardly blame him.

I don't know if McGree is getting more money with us but it certainly sounds that way.  I'm not sure that means anything other than we are willing to pay him more.  Their wage bill is already higher than ours, so they are clearly able to pay more than us for players overall.  This isn't likely to change any time soon because a lot of their revenue isn't from TV, and this isn't going to suddenly disappear unless their level of support vanishes, which isn't going to happen.  A League One club is nowhere near that kinda level.

They want to join our league to get more money.  We want to be in the Premier League to get more money.  Real Madrid and Barcelona wanted a Super League to get more money (as did the English clubs involved).  Everyone wants more than they have 🤷‍♂️

We went elsewhere to play our own players? Rightio. Nice change of tact there after claiming it was to sign other players. 

McGree by all accounts is getting more money. Just like a lot of clubs in the championship are WILLING to pay more money than Celtic. The promise of the premier league for you. The promise of more money. Both which Celtic don't have. This wasn't a thing years ago, now it is. 

Most players in the SPL including Rangers and Celtic would rather play in the championship. Just how it is. 

Let's see what it is like in 20 years. It is only going one way.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic