oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

4 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Not to try and put a downer on things as I'm generally delighted with Wilder but I must admit I'm a little concerned we are going back to Pulis/Warnock style of British based players only. 

I was extremely excited by the prospect of Scott and more Payero/Sporar type signings however it seems we've done a bit of a u turn and are going back to English experience only. I hope we haven't given up on that avenue for signings. 

I’m not bothered where they are from and I am sure Wilder isn’t either , it’s all About whether they fit into his style and he likes a technical player as he mentions a lot. I have no concerns at all about our current idea and Wilder is a dream at the moment. Couldn’t ask for anything more 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I think foreign players are better to purchase in the summer window as they take time to adapt. Wilder is signing players who know the league and can improve us in the next few months. 

Wenger used to sign players in January so they adapted to the change prior to preseason and hit the ground running the following season.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

He's been at Birmingham for 18 months though. 

I know mate, and him being at Birmingham is one of the reasons we should have a good amount of knowledge about him.  Fact is we will know more about players based here than anywhere else I'd imagine.

22 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I said we went elsewhere and signed other players for more money.  You still haven't explained how we couldn't afford him but could afford more expensive players from elsewhere?  We wouldn't give them what they wanted so stuck with our own players.  What they wanted was a fee we could afford based on the fact that we spent more than that on multiple players.  Are you seriously suggesting we couldn't sign a player from Celtic, but we could get Barmby from Spurs, and Juninho ahead of Arsenal, not to mention Ravanelli from Juventus?  

Wow seriously making things up here, when did I say we couldn't afford him? I said we couldn't agree a fee.

To be clear, all I did was correct your statement, which was -

"We didn't buy Collins because we bought other players, like Barmby, Juninho, Emerson, and he went to Monaco instead."

This statement is wrong. He didn't go to Monaco instead of us - he stayed at Celtic for a year and it is also totally incorrect to say we didn't buy Collins because we bought other players.

To re-iterate what I orginally said -

We didn't buy John Collins because we couldn't agree a fee. Collins then decided to stay at Celtic for another full season and then go to Monaco on a Bosman.

22 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Again, being willing to pay more money for someone doesn't mean that they aren't able to.  You offer what you think the player is worth.  Celtic's wage bill is about twice that of ours, which proves that they are able to, and do, pay more than we do, and any League One club as well.  They generate more money from merchandising than we do in everything that we do - Sponsorship, TV revenue, Gate Receipts, Merchandising all combined.  That's the level of difference we are talking about.  I don't know that that most players at Celtic and Rangers would rather play in the Championship, the Premier League yeah, but not necessarily the Championship.  Players at other SPL clubs would be less of a surprise to me though certainly as the rest of the clubs are way behind the two Glasgow clubs obviously. 

Weren't Celtic supposedly interested in signing McNair from us just recently, and didn't they beat us to Elyounoussi a couple of years back when we wanted him on loan from Southampton?  I think they can still compete with the likes of us, certainly when we don't have the parachute money to fall back on.

Riiiiiiight, but you are missing the point - you really are arguing with yourself, players are more than willing to play in the championship over playing for Rangers and Celtic in 2022. This wasn't the case 20-30 years ago.

So all this revenue lark you keep going on about is irrelevant really. The championship clubs are more attractive. I think this trend will continue over the next 20 years.

But erm yeah, Celtic have more revenue - nice one.

• Like 1

Got to say credit where credit is due, I’m hugely impressed with the business we have done so far.

The fact that other clubs were willing to pay a higher percentage of Flo’s wages but we were the club and player’s preference.

The fact that we’ve edged out Celtic for McGree, a club who have the pull of European football and a manager the player already knows from his time with the national team.

I just feel like it speaks volumes to the project that Chris Wilder and Kieran Scott are building. Very exciting times to be a Boro fan.

• Like 21
12 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Interestingly Muniz signed for Fulham ahead of us - said at the time they had a better chance of going up and they had London as a pull.  But he too has hardly played.  When he has - hasn't done much.  Think its hard to adapt to this league.

They do have mitro who has scored 25 goals in 24 games 😂. To be fair muniz has still scored 3 goals in like the 8 sub appearances he has had. However I feel if Wilder was here in the summer we may of got Muniz it's just the style of play wilder brings is alot more attractive for these young players 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JTG said:

Got to say credit where credit is due, I’m hugely impressed with the business we have done so far.

The fact that other clubs were willing to pay a higher percentage of Flo’s wages but we were the club and player’s preference.

The fact that we’ve edged out Celtic for McGree, a club who have the pull of European football and a manager the player already knows from his time with the national team.

I just feel like it speaks volumes to the project that Chris Wilder and Kieran Scott are building. Very exciting times to be a Boro fan.

Crazy to think where we were mentally as a fanbase just over two months ago. The change in mood online and on the terraces has been incredible. 

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

Riiiiiiight, but you are missing the point - you really are arguing with yourself, players are more than willing to play in the championship over playing for Rangers and Celtic in 2022. This wasn't the case 20-30 years ago.

So all this revenue lark you keep going on about is irrelevant really. The championship clubs are more attractive. I think this trend will continue over the next 20 years.

But erm yeah, Celtic have more revenue - nice one.

But often Championship clubs aren't more attractive, as I've already pointed out.  Celtic have players, and have had players, that we couldn't have signed here.  However, you were actually talking about League One in fairness anyway, I was just trying to point out that Celtic are a bigger club than us, can afford to pay more for players than we can, and League One clubs aren't going to overtake that any time in the next 20 years.  Riley McGree choosing to come here doesn't alter that, and your assertion that Celtic don't have the money is the reason that revenue is important.  Anyway last post from me on the matter 👍

• Wow 1
11 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Interestingly Muniz signed for Fulham ahead of us - said at the time they had a better chance of going up and they had London as a pull.  But he too has hardly played.  When he has - hasn't done much.  Think its hard to adapt to this league.

Can’t be true. I thought the fact South American’s didn’t adapt straight away was a myth put out by a dinosaur manager who just didn’t want a foreigner.  

2 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

They do have mitro who has scored 25 goals in 24 games 😂. To be fair muniz has still scored 3 goals in like the 8 sub appearances he has had. However I feel if Wilder was here in the summer we may of got Muniz it's just the style of play wilder brings is alot more attractive for these young players 

I think it was the lure of London and a manager who spoke the same language that swayed it. 

9 minutes ago, LBP said:

My only concern if any is all our strikers most likely won't be here next season

On the plus side none of strikers might be here next season. Let’s see what happens.

15 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Of course it can be.  Not just this league but moving to a new country and everything that entails.  Different times but Juninho originally came over with his parents and that didn't he?  Fulham did and probably still do have a better chance of going up than we do in all likelihood but he was never likely to play that much there given the squad they had.  I dunno if he'd have ended up playing much more here mind.

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

On the plus side none of strikers might be here next season. Let’s see what happens.

That's true mate

I do think Sporar will be here like, 9 more goals and ~50 more points

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic