oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

Each to their own I guess. I would add Celtic and Rangers into English football and would expect them to be top-half Championship. Even though their fans think they'd be Top 6 in England when realistically they wouldn't be.

Their current teams may not be upto that standard, but if they were in the Prem and had their slice of that TV money then maybe they could attract better quality players with their "history" and also their large fan base. I doubt they would be Top 6 but definitely Top half and challenging for euro places maybe.

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Just now, Johnmfc81 said:

Their current teams may not be upto that standard, but if they were in the Prem and had their slice of that TV money then maybe they could attract better quality players with their "history" and also their large fan base. I doubt they would be Top 6 but definitely Top half and challenging for euro places maybe.

Current teams would be competing for playoffs in Championship for me. Even with money they'd struggle to attract players to Scotland. It isn't exactly a desirable place to go and live likewise Newcastle.

Everyone wants to be in Manchester or London. I think with TV money they'd be bottom half of Prem. 

• Like 1

Anyways, Wilder wants a couple more incomings.

Also seemed to rule out anymore wide players.

We've had a brilliant week this week. If we can move a few more on next week it should set things up nicely as we get towards the end of the window. I think we'll sign two loan players. One in LCB and the other in CDM. I think we'll ride it out until the summer for a keeper.

Just now, RiversideRed said:

Current teams would be competing for playoffs in Championship for me. Even with money they'd struggle to attract players to Scotland. It isn't exactly a desirable place to go and live likewise Newcastle.

Everyone wants to be in Manchester or London. I think with TV money they'd be bottom half of Prem. 

Oh I'm not sure, Glasgow is like many cities,  has its rough parts, but there is some nice parts too. 

I can understand why no one would want to live in Newcastle though.

1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

It's a strange one.

Because Scottish fans genuinely think winning the SPL means something when the harsh fact is it don't.

They think playing in the Champions League is an achievements although somehow they've failed to qualify for the last three years which is rather embarrassing.

Winning nine in a row is more showing a new level to how bad the standard is in your league as oppose to an achievement. Likewise with whatever treble or quadruple they've won and don't shut up about it. Anyone with a much better team playing much worse teams can do that. It's hardly something to get excited about.

Each to their own I guess. I would add Celtic and Rangers into English football and would expect them to be top-half Championship. Even though their fans think they'd be Top 6 in England when realistically they wouldn't be.

The thing is with Celtic and Rangers they will always be big fish in a small pond, they cannot join the English Leagues so they will always just be the big 2 teams in Scotland.

In the past Scottish football was competitive and at a level that enabled their teams that qualified for Europe to compete. Now Scottish football at the top level plays each other 4 times a season in the league and probably another 2-3 times in the cups, but the quality of matches and players just isn’t there anymore. 

In the last 10-15 years things have slid badly, when Rangers imploded due to their overspending it heralded not a renaissance for the other teams just about a decade where Celtic won the treble.

Both teams have big loyal fans bases and attendances that are of an envious level, but its clear that both the big two clubs now run themselves just to compete domestically, they buy up the best of the young Scottish talent and train and sculpt them to beat the likes of Kilmarnock or Dundee.  They add young foreign talent that they can attract with the lure of European football but not to compete at that level, just as a showcase so they can attract buyers from better more attractive leagues.

Currently both Celtic and Rangers have teams that would struggle to get promoted out of the championship, but if they were in the championship their size and fan base would quickly enable them to be part of the big 6 or 8. 

Thats not going to happen tho, and if all you can do is beat what’s in front of you then the two big Scottish giants have shown that their ambitions are now at that level and competing and having a squad that can compete in and at a European level is just not worth the cost.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Juninho10 said:

Left sided centre half and a goalkeeper and I will be very happy. I wonder who will leave the club? 

Yeah hopefully he prioritises them two over another DM. I think we can put McNair there and that's more than enough cover provided we bring in that left-footed centre half.

I'm expecting;

Hall - Contract mutually terminated. Can't see anyone wanting to buy or loan him.

Browne - Could see him going somewhere like Luton/Preston

Ikpeazu - Perm to Champ or Loan to Wycombe

If we get a GK then Daniels will leave. 

Malley and Sivi out on loan.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Naisby said:

The thing is with Celtic and Rangers they will always be big fish in a small pond, they cannot join the English Leagues so they will always just be the big 2 teams in Scotland.

In the past Scottish football was competitive and at a level that enabled their teams that qualified for Europe to compete. Now Scottish football at the top level plays each other 4 times a season in the league and probably another 2-3 times in the cups, but the quality of matches and players just isn’t there anymore. 

In the last 10-15 years things have slid badly, when Rangers imploded due to their overspending it heralded not a renaissance for the other teams just about a decade where Celtic won the treble.

Both teams have big loyal fans bases and attendances that are of an envious level, but its clear that both the big two clubs now run themselves just to compete domestically, they buy up the best of the young Scottish talent and train and sculpt them to beat the likes of Kilmarnock or Dundee.  They add young foreign talent that they can attract with the lure of European football but not to compete at that level, just as a showcase so they can attract buyers from better more attractive leagues.

Currently both Celtic and Rangers have teams that would struggle to get promoted out of the championship, but if they were in the championship their size and fan base would quickly enable them to be part of the big 6 or 8. 

Thats not going to happen tho, and if all you can do is beat what’s in front of you then the two big Scottish giants have shown that their ambitions are now at that level and competing and having a squad that can compete in and at a European level is just not worth the cost.

I feel a little sorry for them as there's no really way to progress. It's a shame they can't merge the leagues in some way or at least get them to into the English leagues. I don't know how it came about for Cardiff and Swansea so can't comment regarding them but surely it's possible. The issue is they'd have to start at the bottom. 

13 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Give both Scottish giants access to the premier League and it’s tv money, coupled with their fan bases and attendances and they would be in the top 6-8 sides. That’s not to say they would win things every year but they would have more resources and attractions to signings than the likes of Southampton who are consistently members of the top flight, have a competitive squad.

1 minute ago, Naisby said:

Give both Scottish giants access to the premier League and it’s tv money, coupled with their fan bases and attendances and they would be in the top 6-8 sides. That’s not to say they would win things every year but they would have more resources and attractions to signings than the likes of Southampton who are consistently members of the top flight, have a competitive squad.

That's basically what I'm saying

• Like 1
Just now, Naisby said:

I'm often curious about if their attendances would hold up if they were a midtable side in the Premier League. Bit like the European Super League. These teams have huge fanbases becase they win all the time. Lets see how they do if they just become the also rans like the rest.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I feel a little sorry for them as there's no really way to progress. It's a shame they can't merge the leagues in some way or at least get them to into the English leagues. I don't know how it came about for Cardiff and Swansea so can't comment regarding them but surely it's possible. The issue is they'd have to start at the bottom. 

The welsh teams qualified and joined the English leagues because when football started professional leagues Wales was viewed the same as Cornwall and Cumberland, part of England. Since the 1500’s till they got limited devolution Wales was nothing more than an English region legally. Both Scotland and Ireland were independent nations before and after joining the UK.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

i think you probably right, big support means nothing its the location. newcastle is a great example.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Look at how the clubs and leagues are in Scandinavia, they know they are not the Premier League or Seria A but they still competitive still have solid support and are still competitive and have attendances that are comparable to English teams in areas with similar populations and competitions. Unfortunately Scotland and it’s teams are not. 

3 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i think you probably right, big support means nothing its the location. newcastle is a great example.

Sadly, players care massively about the social aspect of being a footballer.

If they don't have quick access to Manchester or London for an evening out. It's hard to attract them.

Money can only do so much. If you're going for a player and a team from London comes in you'll struggle to win the race.

We seem to be having better look attracting players under Wilder though from our point of view.

We've put ourselves in a great position with half the window left to go. It's very unlike Boro. It's a strange feeling.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic