oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

2 hours ago, Naisby said:

The welsh teams qualified and joined the English leagues because when football started professional leagues Wales was viewed the same as Cornwall and Cumberland, part of England. Since the 1500’s till they got limited devolution Wales was nothing more than an English region legally. Both Scotland and Ireland were independent nations before and after joining the UK.

That's not true at all.

The Welsh national team was formed in 1876, 12 years before the Football League was even formed.

The Welsh league forming also had absolutely nothing to do with devolution, it was done because they feared FIFA would remove recognition for their national team if they didn't have their own independent league.

The legal status of Wales was irrelevant to the clubs that applied to join the English league, it's the distant to travel and money that was decisive.

Same reason Berwick Rangers are in the Scottish leagues.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:
3 hours ago, TLF10 said:

No transfer related news to come out of any of the post match interviews.

Wilder did say he wants some more ins post match 

I think at this point it's really difficult to see us getting anyone else in for the top third of the pitch, and given that we're already trying to ship out Lea-Siliki, I assume midfield is sorted too. 

So we're looking at wing-backs, centre backs or goalkeepers. 

Although a left footed CB would be nice, the fact that we have Wood, Peltier and Bamba behind the 3 that are in the team makes me think that we won't be spending money there either.

With Hernandez going back, we have a matchday loan slot available, which I suspect may be a goalkeeper, probably a late incoming from a Premier League club close to the deadline. And then maybe a wing back on a permanent, possibly someone who can cover for both Jones and Taylor. Those two incomings would set us up pretty nicely.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think at this point it's really difficult to see us getting anyone else in for the top third of the pitch, and given that we're already trying to ship out Lea-Siliki, I assume midfield is sorted too. 

So we're looking at wing-backs, centre backs or goalkeepers. 

Although a left footed CB would be nice, the fact that we have Wood, Peltier and Bamba behind the 3 that are in the team makes me think that we won't be spending money there either.

With Hernandez going back, we have a matchday loan slot available, which I suspect may be a goalkeeper, probably a late incoming from a Premier League club close to the deadline. And then maybe a wing back on a permanent, possibly someone who can cover for both Jones and Taylor. Those two incomings would set us up pretty nicely.

Sounds like santon and Henderson to me 😉 

14 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

It's a strange one.

Because Scottish fans genuinely think winning the SPL means something when the harsh fact is it don't.

They think playing in the Champions League is an achievements although somehow they've failed to qualify for the last three years which is rather embarrassing.

Winning nine in a row is more showing a new level to how bad the standard is in your league as oppose to an achievement. Likewise with whatever treble or quadruple they've won and don't shut up about it. Anyone with a much better team playing much worse teams can do that. It's hardly something to get excited about.

Each to their own I guess. I would add Celtic and Rangers into English football and would expect them to be top-half Championship. Even though their fans think they'd be Top 6 in England when realistically they wouldn't be.

to be fair this is the first season in a long time winning the spl HAS meant something , they automatically qualify for the champs league group stages rather than having to play qualifiers which they usually lose lol . Talking big money every season from now on for whoever wins the spl 

20 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't either, them and rangers have both cashed in on religious tensions and bigotry for their entire existences. They make a fortune from capitalising on something that has caused so many people so much pain, especially over here. If you're from Glasgow I understand, but picking a football team on the basis of hating the "other side" so much is a little sad - and make no mistake, that's the main reason here. 

How true but they are not the only teams and it’s global. Nationality, Religion, poverty and unemployment played a big part on how teams developed and the league existed and some residue exists today, typically Celtic & Ranges. Celtic has strong Irish connections but many teams in Scotland can be traced to religious roots by the definition Saint in there title, St Johnston, St Mirren. 

Several of England's leading clubs, including Everton, Manchester City and Southampton, were founded by churches, as was Celtic in Scotland. One has to remember that football was once banned on a Sunday and I can remember as a child being told, no football today. As children we were instructed not to make friends or enter houses of catholics and the religious symbol of Jesus on a cross was scandalous. That was around the time the annual religious  event of carrying the virgin marry around the streets of South Bank.  
Thank goodness for change… 

https://spartacus-educational.com/FreligionG.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_association_football

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic