oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

41 minutes ago, AllBoro10 said:

We have went from selling Tav to the premier league to loaning him out to a divisional even though he plays every game for us. Our fan base. Utterly mental. Leave the lad alone, he’s doing just fine and had his best game for a while on Saturday. The signing off McGree will hopefully ignite him.

A hard agree from me. Here's his Championship stats. He had been going along at a goal or assist every 4-5 matches in a team that was nearly relegated despite playing everywhere from left back to second striker. This season his productivity has really dropped off but he appears to be being re-trained in more disciplined left centre midfield role.  While Crooks has played alongside Jones since Wilder started, Tav has been having to mix and match with Taylor, Bola and Peltier. Again, while Crooks has either McNair or Dijksteel behind him, Tav doesn't have a natural left-footer behind him.

Since Wilder has come in, Tav has been working his nuts off to keep the left side of the pitch shored up while all the fun and games happen on the right. There is absolutely no way Payero can replace him on the left; other teams would just run through him.

It might be that when McGree gets a chance that he does better than Tav. If so, great for the team and a real challenge for Tav to get back in. But McGree has played half a season in the championship and has it all to prove. Shoving Tav out of the door would be totally nuts. 

Tav

image.png.d561c43c4f6d902278d8379371502b8b.png

Riley McGree for comparison

image.png.81be32c1e48ad5c1bf6e1a97a816eed9.png

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

When our players get (often deserved) criticism I take a deep breath and remember that they have been coached in three different styles in three seasons by managers who I would not let anywhere near one of my junior teams. Under the Wilder regime there is a pattern and a purpose and players like Tav will benefit and should improve with consistent approach. Please bear with them and don’t sell them you most likely will see much better players evolving this season and next. Thank God for Wilder

• Like 8

Wilder specifically mentioned McGree could play LWB, so that might be his way into this team rather than at the expense of Tav. Taylor didn't wow me last game and I'd love to have a threat similar to what we have down the right hand side to give us a bit of balance.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Wilder specifically mentioned McGree could play LWB, so that might be his way into this team rather than at the expense of Tav. Taylor didn't wow me last game and I'd love to have a threat similar to what we have down the right hand side to give us a bit of balance.

I agree...Taylor is solid at that LWB position, but if we had someone with a bit more explosiveness on that side of the field, then we would have threats everywhere. A fit Bola might give us that???

2 hours ago, pikerman said:

When our players get (often deserved) criticism I take a deep breath and remember that they have been coached in three different styles in three seasons by managers who I would not let anywhere near one of my junior teams. Under the Wilder regime there is a pattern and a purpose and players like Tav will benefit and should improve with consistent approach. Please bear with them and don’t sell them you most likely will see much better players evolving this season and next. Thank God for Wilder

I appreciate what point you’re making, but how does that detract away from his poor record in front of goal? I really want it to work out for him, because it will ultimately benefit our club.

Regarding the coaching point, surely you’d still have the fundamentals of a footballer and their technical ability so it wouldn’t matter what system they’re being used in. He was clean through on goal during Warnock, Woodgate and Pulis and has never been a consistent scorer in either. Is that bad tactics? Or is that composure? 

I think where he looks better under Wilder is being taken away from that role, so he’s ticking things over rather than being asked to create and score more. 

The early signs are positive for him in Wilders system, and I think he will benefit for sure. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Smoggy-in-VA said:

I agree...Taylor is solid at that LWB position, but if we had someone with a bit more explosiveness on that side of the field, then we would have threats everywhere. A fit Bola might give us that???

For me Taylor's been a greater attacking threat in his games for us than Bola at wingback. He looks good overlapping a winger in a 4, but a bit lost when the onus is on him to be the attacking outlet down that side.

That said Bola's been either not playing under Woodgate or a defensive fullback under Warnock. Maybe with more time under Wilder & co's coaching we could have a decent attacking wingback on our hands. He certainly seems the type with good application and a willingness to listen & learn. The difference in his performance levels under Warnock was shocking from the player we saw under Woodgate. 

• Like 2

There was a point in time not so long ago where if Tav didnt play well or get enough touches we would definitely lose, His role now of being more of just an engine suits him better and he offers us a ton off the ball. I think frustrations for some fans are we have someone like Payero who is clearly more technically talented but we havent seen enough to know how the difference in work rate would effect our play. Could very easily see a future in which Crooks plays the deeper role and Payero comes in with Tav and everybody really rating Tav again just for the shift he puts in.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Naisby said:

The Reserves now the under 23’s is where developing young players takes place, along with coaching and training. 

The 1st team isn’t where that should be taking place, if the manager picks you he obviously feels you can do the job, as such it’s expected that you can do the job that is asked of you. If you keep making the same mistakes or choices as a player and they don’t achieve results often enough, at best your in the wrong team and going to another would help. At worst your not up to the job and it’s back to the reserves or your being let 

It's not as black and white as that. The u23s can only develop a player to a point then he needs to play at a higher level to reach his potential which will include runs of poor form which most young players endure. Look at someone like Dominic Solanke he could have been thrown on to the scrap heap but a couple of seasons later he's now looking like a really good player for Bournemouth. Unfortunately for Tav he's been played in pretty much every position under the sun and has had to endure injuries which has stopped him from really getting into his stride. He's still one of the best young midfielders in the league even in average form and has shown at times especially last season that he can be one of the better players in the league when he hits his stride. Anybody writing him off and slagging him I really don't think they know a right lot I don't know what they expect. Probably the same types of people who slagged downing off in his first spell yet we have still never come close to having a better winger since. I'm not saying players should not be criticised but some of our fans seem to reserve it for the academy lads and not for others who are having as many average performances. Seems strange.

• Like 1

I think Taylor is a decent attacking player as well. We look one sided sometimes, especially against Reading, but I don't think that is necessarily Taylor's fault. He isn't as quick as Jones, nor can he take a man on in the same way, so it's no surprise that Jones sees more of the ball. But if you look here, Taylor's average position was actually only marginally further back than Jones.

604720084_Screenshot2022-01-1717_18_45.png.0fbd959c382aa1350c3995960dfecfe4.png

Also, he was in the box for the winning goal and whenever the ball came in from the right. So I wouldn't say he was a defensive wing back, he just has a very different game (picking up the ball and moving it on quickly) rather than trying to beat his man like Jones does.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Foogle said:

True... Picture this... McGree retrained as a lwb, Bola retrained as a left footed CB ala dijksteel on the other side. Two problems solved with one signing. 

I know people hate round pegs square holes etc, but our best player this season wasn't a rwb before. Crooks didn't play on the right of a midfield 3 as far as I know. Tav was considered a winger. I don't think watmore played up front very often before coming to us.  I trust wilder to see the attributes of players and know what role will suit them best. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think Taylor is a decent attacking player as well. We look one sided sometimes, especially against Reading, but I don't think that is necessarily Taylor's fault. He isn't as quick as Jones, nor can he take a man on in the same way, so it's no surprise that Jones sees more of the ball. But if you look here, Taylor's average position was actually only marginally further back than Jones.

604720084_Screenshot2022-01-1717_18_45.png.0fbd959c382aa1350c3995960dfecfe4.png

Also, he was in the box for the winning goal and whenever the ball came in from the right. So I wouldn't say he was a defensive wing back, he just has a very different game (picking up the ball and moving it on quickly) rather than trying to beat his man like Jones does.

His position may be as far forward as Jones on average, but you could count on the fingers of one hand how often he played a forward pass - or even a sideways one with a run forward to take a one-two. Every pass was the safe option, so Reading knew they were fairly safe down that side of the park. Only when Balogun came on - and we were chasing the game anyway- did he show any attacking threat himself or show he could help others on the left to get round the back of the Reading defence. The way he played also limited Tav, as he often had to come back to support Taylor and get the ball from him in unpromising positions. Dijk had acres more room on the right of the field because they were so concentrated on containing Jones.
I suspect he may be the best option when away from home, facing a side doing more attacking and therefore  leaving more room in midfield for our other players to exploit whilst he makes sure the defence is solid. At home we need a good wing back not a good full back. Unless of course he adapts to Wilders style more - after all he seems a good technical player.

• Like 1

Taylor is a decent squad player solid but not exciting... He doesn't offer enough going forward as a wingback for me personally, when you've only got one player on a wing providing width they need to offer a threat and have a real engine on them.

16 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

His position may be as far forward as Jones on average, but you could count on the fingers of one hand how often he played a forward pass - or even a sideways one with a run forward to take a one-two. Every pass was the safe option, so Reading knew they were fairly safe down that side of the park. Only when Balogun came on - and we were chasing the game anyway- did he show any attacking threat himself or show he could help others on the left to get round the back of the Reading defence. The way he played also limited Tav, as he often had to come back to support Taylor and get the ball from him in unpromising positions. Dijk had acres more room on the right of the field because they were so concentrated on containing Jones.
I suspect he may be the best option when away from home, facing a side doing more attacking and therefore  leaving more room in midfield for our other players to exploit whilst he makes sure the defence is solid. At home we need a good wing back not a good full back. Unless of course he adapts to Wilders style more - after all he seems a good technical player.

The one thing I did notice about Taylor is he does seem to hold the ball quite a long time. Lots of times I thought he had a good chance to play some balls down the line quickly, one or two touch, but he would wait until his defender came towards him and ultimately would just kick it off their shins.

Happened four or five times vs Reading and it was a little annoying.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic