oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

7 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Just reminiscing about the game and one thing that comes to mind is why are footballers today poor headers of the ball? Now it may be my perception but I have seen goals scored off the shoulder and back of the head but I can’t think of one directed or bullet header. Of course the game has changed from the lofted cross but still balls are aimlessly pumped into the box but where are the brave players that want to attack the ball. Do players practice the drill any more or is it old school? 

You rarely see proper wingers that get to the by line before crossing the ball in the modern game now. It’s a bit of a dying art really. You don’t score ‘bullet headers’ from balls aimlessly pumped into the box from deep. The angle of attack just doesn’t allow it. 
You don’t see as many from corners these days and I’m not 100% sure I know the exact reason for that to be honest. Can’t remember the last time I saw a near post flick on from a corner! That used to be all the rage.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Could equally go in the match day thread, but given the chat about Tav in here yesterday I thought I'd pop it in here. I think the thing the surprises/impresses me most in these highlights is the huge variety of positions Tav shows for and gets the ball in. 

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

No offense intended but that seems an odd train of thought to draw from a game which saw 3 headed goals 🤣

The opposite in fact because there were three goals it started me thinking about games in general.

Edited by sanddancer
4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

You rarely see proper wingers that get to the by line before crossing the ball in the modern game now. It’s a bit of a dying art really. You don’t score ‘bullet headers’ from balls aimlessly pumped into the box from deep. The angle of attack just doesn’t allow it. 
You don’t see as many from corners these days and I’m not 100% sure I know the exact reason for that to be honest. Can’t remember the last time I saw a near post flick on from a corner! That used to be all the rage.

Highest in the premier this season is 3.. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Will said:

Could equally go in the match day thread, but given the chat about Tav in here yesterday I thought I'd pop it in here. I think the thing the surprises/impresses me most in these highlights is the huge variety of positions Tav shows for and gets the ball in. 

He's certainly quick to get his head up and look for the pass to keep the game flowing. It would be interesting to see how many times he loses possession and how he fares with his passing percentages since Wilder has come in.

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He's certainly quick to get his head up and look for the pass to keep the game flowing. It would be interesting to see how many times he loses possession and how he fares with his passing percentages since Wilder has come in.

I think to be fair to him, he was our best midfielder for passing in the game on Saturday, when I looked at the stats.

Yeah, he made 9 more passes then the next most and still had the highest pass success rate of 81%.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think to be fair to him, he was our best midfielder for passing in the game on Saturday, when I looked at the stats.

Yeah, he made 9 more passes then the next most and still had the highest pass success rate of 81%.

Would have expected him to be the lowest in all honesty, not because I though he was poor just because he plays the ball forwards more often than Crooks or Howson in my mind and generally forward passes tend to be less successful than sideways or backward passes.

2 minutes ago, CambridgeBoro said:

Spurs are deadline day dealers with clubs, they think they will get a bargain. For some reason they think clubs put yellow money off stickers on their players when they arrive for training. 😆

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, CambridgeBoro said:

Also saw that Jake Bidwell who we were linked with in the Summer has moved from Swansea to Coventry on a supposed free transfer, bit of an odd move, I would imagine he would have done well in the LWB position for us.

He must not have been on our list now, it’s clear we have players we want and if they available we go for them. In the past at this point in the window we would be hoping to get our 2nd choice target and be looking at the 5th or 6th. What a difference professionalism brings.

• Like 2

I wonder if we haven’t agreed with Forest that they can keep Spence on Loan all season, but if we want to sell him then we will make sure that we  push the idea that the selling club loans him back to forest till the season ends.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic