oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Just now, Will said:

Personally think we could see Payero start the next game. None of the midfield had good games tonight.

If he doesn't then I'd say he has no future here.  Not even getting on tonight was certainly interesting.

• Like 2
Just now, Changing Times said:

If he doesn't then I'd say he has no future here.  Not even getting on tonight was certainly interesting.

I agree that if he doesn't even get a chance now then it really doesn't look good. Shame as I thought he stylistically matched with Wilder pretty well, kind of similar to Sander Berge who he bought for Sheffield United.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We will soon know what he thinks of Payero if he starts putting McGree on 

• Like 2

I think if i could choose one position to strengthen before next Monday then it would be left footed centre half. The fluency down that side is slowed down as Paddy needs to cut on to his right foot. We were linked with several left footers over the summer and notably most have since moved bar Ciaron Brown.

Can anyone think of any other left footed centre halfs we could realistically target either on loan from PL or permanant within the football league? (Apart from Gorgeous George obv).

• Like 1

I think the one caveat to the McGree/Payero conversation is who is replaced.  McGree for Tav I think is the obvious sub, left foot for left foot, but if it's McGree for Crooks then that speaks volumes about Payero and his future

To be fair I think the Payero issue boils down to the fact that he’s only really competing for that one spot on the right of the midfield three.

Crooks has been one of our best players all season and you leave him on when you’re chasing a game because he’s about 6ft 4 and as seen last week against Reading that height can give us a goal threat.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a chance over Tav but I think it’s pretty clear that a left footer is being favoured there.

• Like 1

As mentioned in the other thread, I think Wilder is very insistent on what his midfield is. Even though our midfield was quite poor tonight, look who was taking all our set pieces and who was on the end of a couple of late crosses last time out. Not convinced that's a change he would want to make at all. Not like he was even making like for like changes when he did make them either.

I'd be interested to know how fluid he was with his midfield selection and substitutions at Shef Utd.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that today would have been a good game to bring Payero on. Yes, he might have done better with the set pieces but it would have been difficult to score from them given the effectiveness of Blackburn's defence. Payero seems to be best when there is scope for footballing skills to be emphasised, not against physical sides.  Blackburn's defence would have kicked him to pieces and the continual fouling and stopping of play would have disrupted his game. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, White Band said:

I'm not sure that today would have been a good game to bring Payero on. Yes, he might have done better with the set pieces but it would have been difficult to score from them given the effectiveness of Blackburn's defence. Payero seems to be best when there is scope for footballing skills to be emphasised, not against physical sides.  Blackburn's defence would have kicked him to pieces and the continual fouling and stopping of play would have disrupted his game. 

Sounds like we bought Payero hoping to have him ready for the Premier League, as that's where his style of football will really flourish.

90% of Championship sides are physical and you don't get a lot of time on the ball.

4 hours ago, Brisbrough said:

I think the one caveat to the McGree/Payero conversation is who is replaced.  McGree for Tav I think is the obvious sub, left foot for left foot, but if it's McGree for Crooks then that speaks volumes about Payero and his future

Why not Mcgree for Taylor at LWB? He can play there and considering they Taylor has never scored a goal doesn't offer much why not give him a shot. 

• Like 2

I'd put Payero in Howsons spot for the next match. Wilder doesn't really play with a proper DM, at Sheff United he had 3 in the middle who were all-rounders. Howson doesn't really offer much defensively anyways, not like say a prime Clayton.

From the small amount we have seen of Payero he looks to have all the tools to play that role. Good engine, technically competent, wasn't afraid to get stuck in.  

The midfield last night was crying out for someone to get the ball to feet from the back 3. Instead we just ended up lumping it to crooks half the time.

• Like 1

Despite what Wilder said about Payero the other week I don't think he rates him at all. If he was a loan the deal would be terminated like JLS. The midfield was horrific yesterday and especially Howson was really poor. He just doesn't offer anything, yet they all three came out again after half time and that was a big issue in my eyes. Wilder just doesn't seem willing to try and change the game. I'd like to see Wilder be more proactive instead of just be reactive towards the end of games. 

• Like 1

I agree - don't think Wilder rates/trusts him.  I think the position we are in is not helping either.  Payero needs to start games and play 15-20 in a row.  Wilder doesn't trust him to do that.  I personally don't think Payero coming off the bench for 20 minutes to try and impact a game will work well for him in the long run.  I think that if we do that it will knock his confidence and knock any chance he has of forcing his way into the team.

For me - I'd play Crooks in Howson's role and Payero where Crooks plays.  I don't think that'll happen though while we are still in with a chance of promotion

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic