oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

9 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Hendrick was a decent player at this level, to be fair to him. He might not have set the Prem alight by any means but if it's a loan deal to replace Siliki then we could do worse.

Just whether we get value for money across the next few months, though. Right now, you have to wonder how anybody gets into that midfield. Wilder doesn't like changing it so what problem are we trying to solve?

Definitely arguments that someone like Malley or Boyd-Munce should be making the step up if we run into such a huge crisis, too. Even then, I reckon Wilder would sooner put McNair into midfield and bring Bamba or Peltier into the side.

I think this is the bigger question with those stats you pulled up about his very limited midfield substitutions at Sheffield United.

If he very rarely changes the midfield, why have we signed two midfielders and been linked with more?

I can't see us spending good money on McGree to keep him on the bench, and I don't think it'll be a Warnock and Payero situation where he's signed for him rather than being a player Wilder asked for.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

But there's no actual evidence that the club is putting any effort in to bringing in specifically Irish players.

We currently have 0, we've been linked with 2, and there's no connection between the two beyond the fact they were both born in Dublin.

Bazunu is getting good reviews on loan, and goalkeeper is a position we're weak in. 

Hendrick was a Premier League regular for Burnley, and a Championship regular for Derby, he's not getting much game time for Newcastle this season, but he's a solid midfielder.

A 6 month loan, if it's a player Wilder actually uses, seems like a good plan.

Boyd-Munce and Connolly are Irish and now we are linked to Hendrick who is a right footed midfield player who you clearly rate but I wouldn't give the time of day to in a footballing context. That's three in as many weeks! Four including Paddy. My dig at signing all these Irish Players is tongue in cheek by the way, like I have said I couldn't care less who or what they are so long as they are good enough.

Hendrick isn't an upgrade on anyone at the Club plus we already have an abundance of midfield Players that we don't know what to do with. He could "do a job" but why on earth would we want him, we have enough experienced Pro's, good lads all of them but underwhelming and none of them an improvement. We need competition for places not someone happy to be second choice and taking up squad numbers. 

Bazunu seems to have great potential and could be an upgrade on what we have but why have we taken back one of our own Keepers who was getting rave reviews where he was? 

4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Shame how things worked out here for him. Hopefully he can leave his bad luck behind him on Teesside and a fresh challenge gives him the chance to kick start his career. There definitely looks to be something in him and if he can steer clear of injuries he can showcase his talents and give us something to whine about on here in the future about who's stupid short sighted idea it was to sell him.

14 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Boyd-Munce and Connolly are Irish and now we are linked to Hendrick who is a right footed midfield player who you clearly rate but I wouldn't give the time of day to in a footballing context. That's three in as many weeks! Four including Paddy. My dig at signing all these Irish Players is tongue in cheek by the way, like I have said I couldn't care less who or what they are so long as they are good enough.

Hendrick isn't an upgrade on anyone at the Club plus we already have an abundance of midfield Players that we don't know what to do with. He could "do a job" but why on earth would we want him, we have enough experienced Pro's, good lads all of them but underwhelming and none of them an improvement. We need competition for places not someone happy to be second choice and taking up squad numbers. 

Bazunu seems to have great potential and could be an upgrade on what we have but why have we taken back one of our own Keepers who was getting rave reviews where he was? 

Sorry, I forgot Connolly when I was typing.

Boyd-Munce is Northern Irish, plays for a different (youth) national team to Connolly, though given the name, you'd expect he's probably from a Catholic background.

I don't actually have any strong feelings on Hendrick either way, I just don't think he should be written off because he's the third/fourth player from the island of Ireland that we've been linked to or signed in this window.

We've signed 4 players so far, all represent different national teams, we're likely focusing on players based in England because it's easier to sign them, especially in January.

I honestly don't know why we've brought Sol Brynn back if we weren't intending to play him though, it's a strange one.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Boyd-Munce is Northern Irish, plays for a different (youth) national team to Connolly, though given the name, you'd expect he's probably from a Catholic background.

I don't actually have any strong feelings on Hendrick the other way, I just don't think he should be written off because he's the third/fourth player from the island of Ireland that we've been linked or signed in this window.

We've signed 4 players so far, all represent different national teams, we're likely focusing on players based in England because it's easier to sign them, especially in January.

I honestly don't know why we've brought Sol Brynn back if we weren't intending to play him, it's a strange one.

They are all entitled to hold Irish (Republic) Passports even Rangers supporting Paddy as they were all born in Ireland. They could all play for the Republic as well without needing the Great Grandmother's Whippet came from Sligo claim.  

Anyways the Sol Brynn thing does seem strange, I get that he replaces Stojanovic but surely it made far more sense to leave him where he was playing until we had a Goalkeeping crisis. I'd rather we give Sol a go rather than developing other teams youngsters to his detriment sat with splinters.

2 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

You can only recall players during the Window, so leaving Brynn in place until next week would have served him better, unless the intention was to see how good he was first-hand

I would have thought going up to Dumfries watching him first hand would have made more sense than recalling him to watch him in training games at Rockliffe but that's probably just me.

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I don't actually have any strong feelings on Hendrick either way, I just don't think he should be written off because he's the third/fourth player from the island of Ireland that we've been linked to or signed in this window.

I honestly don't know why we've brought Sol Brynn back if we weren't intending to play him though, it's a strange one.

I think is it not because he doesn’t count in the registered squad numbers because of his age? So bringing him back and letting stojanovic go frees up a  space in the squad for new signings 

• Like 1
Just now, Riverside94 said:

I think is it not because he doesn’t count in the registered squad numbers because of his age? So bringing him back and letting stojanovic go frees up a  space in the squad for new signings 

Yeah I think this is the reason too. We brought Sol back becuse Stoj was going out and it has the double whammy of freeing up a squad spot.

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I suppose we might be trying to loan him out to a higher level if he's not playing here.

Hopefully that's the intention but I would have thought they would have simply sent him straight back out to say a League One team in that case? To me it's pointless bringing him back from playing regular competitive games to sit as 3rd or possibly 4th choice if we bring in another Keeper. 

Earlier on I had the feeling that we had a planned and controlled recruitment strategy including loans but I'm now getting the uneasiness that its a becoming a bit like Wilders four Strikers on the pitch type of strategy, hope I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Maybe, but surely just using one of the lads from the academy who wasn't out on loan would accomplish the same thing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Maybe, but surely just using one of the lads from the academy who wasn't out on loan would accomplish the same thing.

I'm not sure that was the intention either, personally.

I think if this Hendrick thing is true then it would seem Wilder likes making sure he has the full 24-25 man squad available that he wants at all times, even if he's not going to use it. So when Stoj went out, he wanted Brynn in as his third choice keeper because he may well rate him the 3rd best option at the club. That's my guess, anyway. If we bring in another keeper, it may be the case we move on one of the keepers, one of those potentially being another loan for Brynn. Unless QOTS have already replaced him then they may well look to take him back.

Not using the squad isn't much of a criticism from me personally right now but that's because we're still in very good form and have only been taken down a peg by another team in good form, a resolute side that made us look average for large portions of the game. If that continues into games against less consistent teams then you have to wonder when the changes start being made.

I'm not expecting more than a single unenforced change for Coventry and that's probably going to be one of the strikers. Anything more and perhaps we start to see how Wilder reacts to a performance that he himself was very disappointed with.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic