oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

21 minutes ago, "KM" said:

FFS. I was really hoping for us to push for top two but it’s going to be tough now 

The top two auto spots are already down up imo, it’s the play off spot about 8 teams are battling for.

Expectations by Boro fans seem to change quicker than the weather, we need to play the medium game and win promotion sensibly, that’s how teams equivalent to Boro have stayed up. Next season starts now and we need a team who knows promotion is 16 months away not 4. The total imbalance of teams that get relegated from the Premier league mean you need a team with confidence and experience to battle the full season to be able to stand a chance against those that come down.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Wing to Portsmouth broken down over finances involved.

Football finances post covid mean that both players and clubs now are having to be much more realistic in what they can offer.

league 1 clubs can no longer break the bank to subsidise even mid to lower championship wages anymore. If you look at the average wages between the leagues the gulf is now almost insurmountable. Only the premier league can afford to realistically see a player go out on loan and get their player experience without financial returns.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Naisby said:

The top two auto spots are already down up imo, it’s the play off spot about 8 teams are battling for.

Expectations by Boro fans seem to change quicker than the weather, we need to play the medium game and win promotion sensibly, that’s how teams equivalent to Boro have stayed up. Next season starts now and we need a team who knows promotion is 16 months away not 4. The total imbalance of teams that get relegated from the Premier league mean you need a team with confidence and experience to battle the full season to be able to stand a chance against those that come down.

Agreed.

It would have taken a pretty major miracle for Boro to have sustained our early form under Wilder and become serious automatic promotion contenders.

For me this season is basically a free hit. If we finish in the play-offs thats a bonus...I still wouldn't expect us to win them.

I'm quite happy to wait for Wilder to have a full Summer and pre-season to bring more players in and mould the squad more to his liking.

• Like 3

The Players being linked with competitors for promotion/play-offs seem in stark contrast to the ones we are being linked with. We seem to be aiming to just bulk out the squad with middling to poor players (Hendrick and Clark for instance) whilst others seem to be upgrading.

I hope it's all a smokescreen to cover up the real targets or maybe I'm just hoping and praying that they don't come off. I would rather have Hall over Clark any day of the week just as one example.

Agree that solidifying our position in the playoffs has to be the target but very surprised to see people ruling us out of autos. 8 points of 2nd, game in hand and 18 to play. It's very, very far from being a foregone conclusion.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Agreed.

It would have taken a pretty major miracle for Boro to have sustained our early form under Wilder and become serious automatic promotion contenders.

For me this season is basically a free hit. If we finish in the play-offs thats a bonus...I still wouldn't expect us to win them.

I'm quite happy to wait for Wilder to have a full Summer and pre-season to bring more players in and mould the squad more to his liking.

You thinking like I am, this season is about bedding in the players to a style and ethos that will hopefully bring us dividends next year. Next season Wilder is going to have had over half a full playing season and 2 full windows to create the squad he thinks will get us up, often with a change in manager it’s at the end of a season and the new manager only in place a few weeks before the season starts.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Pompey can’t afford his wages now is the latest 

I’m not surprised, look at what that lads we have brought in from the premier league are on compared to our players, Balogun is rumoured to be on over £40k pw.

we can not afford those wages, and league 1 cannot afford championship ones either. At some stage the who business model of football and how the wider game works is going to have to be looked at.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, MMC said:

Agree that solidifying our position in the playoffs has to be the target but very surprised to see people ruling us out of autos. 8 points of 2nd, game in hand and 18 to play. It's very, very far from being a foregone conclusion.

I don’t think it’s ruling us out of the playoffs, it’s more being realistic about our chances of winning them. We are not one of the 2 best squads in the division and there are plenty of other teams with squads just as good as us going for the same reward. 

Imo we are only at the start of the project to get promoted, if we manage it this season then great, but I do think it’s a more realistic achievement for next season.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Bournemouth already have the best defence in the league, I don't think signing a defender is going to the thing that makes a difference between play-offs and automatics for them.

Agreed. But signing Keiffer Moore, Todd Cantwell and Dembele when you alreasy have the likes of Billing, Chrsitie, Solanke, Anthony, Marcondes and possibly Brooks returning tells you they got serious firepower to change games. They will score plenty of late goals in tight games i feel when we reach the business end.

No problem as we are aiming for play offs. Would love 4th spot.

2 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

who won?

I did! But who's now a professional footballer on thousands of pounds a week, and who's still just a runner not on thousands of pounds a week 😂

Seems a nice guy though, I know lots of people who know him personally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, edinboro said:

I would imagine there is time for a deal to be done. 

We will probably have factored in Sheffield We’d covering Wings wages all season, going on loan to league 1 will mean we have to cover a big chunk of these. It may be that if we let him go to Pompey and covered his wages, it would mean we had to not bring in someone ourselves.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic