oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

31 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Late announcement MFC did indeed make a new signing yesterday.

A Mrs Miggins, who had previously run a pie shop in town was appointed "server of tea" at Rockliffe Park and host to all visitors who bothered to turn up.

Understand that there was some concern over the state of her wooden teeth but her floppy hat clinched the deal!

MFC state they are delighted to welcome Mrs Miggins and her very strange ways and look forward to having a cuppa or two and at a cost of only one penny a cup.

Also we are told that Riley McGree is looking forward to being served by Mrs Biggins because he too likes to wear floppy hats especially those with a few corks attached!

You feeling okay, Alan?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

So what’s everyone’s overall opinion on Boro’s transfer window.

Two strikers in on loan, a CM and a couple of lads for the under 23’s.

I think we have kicked a couple of issues into the long grass and once again look to have a big summer rebuild on our hands. 

as for deadline day I just don’t think we got enough or the right ones out) we haven’t weakened the squad really so it’s go as we are.

I suspect it won’t be quite enough 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think we have kicked a couple of issues into the long grass and once again look to have a big summer rebuild on our hands. 

as for deadline day I just don’t think we got enough or the right ones out) we haven’t weakened the squad really so it’s go as we are.

I think realistically Wilder did not come in to win promotion this year. Obviously, he's always said that's his ambition, and rightly so. But our "plan" will not be "get promoted now". January is a difficult window to do business in and we are not in a position to splash cash willy-nilly. We identified a problem up top and fixed it, and moved on McGree because we could afford it.

Summer is the big one. Wilder's always said "2-3 windows" which means by next January he wants to have the team in place. I'd expect significant out-goings in summer to the tune of Spence, possibly one of Fry/Tav, lots of released players (Howson, Bamba, Peltier) and a lot of incomings.

I don't think we have a squad capable of achieving top 2 right now. I don't think we would win the play offs this year. I think we will go up next year either 1st or 2nd.

• Like 3

Happy with the window overall. 

Just over a third of the season left, after QPR we’ll have got through a very difficult run of fixtures and hopefully still be top 6.

I hope Bournemouth go up with Fulham as I think we’ll beat any of the others in the playoffs 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I'm undecided. We've brought in two strikers that seems like they fit better in the tactics so that's a positive, but they are also quite untested so I'll reserve judgement on whether they are acutally good deals. I've got quite low expectations though as I'm not expecting either of them to score more than 5 goals.

McGree is an interesting one. I've never seen him play, but it sounds like his style will fit right in. 

And I'm not surprised that Spence wasn't sold. In fact I'm doubtful that we've even had a real bid for him.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I do now that I remembered her real name DZ😆

Also a poor attempt of some humour this early in the day

Phew!

I was worried it was those "Bongs" from AV's tweet that were having the desired effect!

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Happy with the window overall. 

Just over a third of the season left, after QPR we’ll have got through a very difficult run of fixtures and hopefully still be top 6.

I hope Bournemouth go up with Fulham as I think we’ll beat any of the others in the playoffs 

Agree with this. Albeit Blackburn have become a bit of an annoying bogey team for us in recent teams.

Hopefully we can finish 4th which means we take on 5th but have home advantage for 2nd leg. Anyone know what the average points that are needed for 4th?

I'm not sure that the incoming Strikers have fixed anything yet. Both are untested, one looks to have raw talent that could impact games and one looks exactly what I thought before he arrived. Let's hope I'm wrong otherwise we haven't improved. With Uche going we look worse to me in terms of options from the bench if Plan "A" isn't working assuming that Plan "A" is what we witnessed in December otherwise I'm really worried.

Boyd-Munce looked comfortable against Mansfield and took his goal well so a good first impression but not clearly intended to be an immediate upgrade on what we already have (there again, Jones wasn't in the plans back in August). McGree is the one we are realistically hoping can add something and improve on what we have at the moment be it LWB, LM or CDM.

I don't think promotion was considered a real target when CW arrived but having got himself into the position Wilder may as well go for it. Financially just to come straight back down is a no brainer in todays footballing world. Fulham and perhaps Bournemouth aside I wouldn't particularly fear any of the three other potential Play Off opponents. I do fear however that if we do make the Play Offs there may be a game where we could desperately do with a big unit to throw on for the last few minutes and now that option has gone South, literally.

I don't feel we are particularly weaker based upon how Wilder wants to play but I certainly don't think we are stronger in the short term. The loan Strikers aren't getting me overly optimistic. My hope is that Boyd-Munce comes good and McGree is a class above what we already have, in which case it's better than before, but not by much.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

Actually I meant from our most recent relegation when we shipped out just about every foreign player and overspent on British based flops for the past 5/6 years.

Meanwhile the likes of Brentford/Norwich made far smarter choices picking up better value for money abroad and either getting promoted or selling on for large sums.

In the summer it finally felt like we were getting a little bit cuter and broadening our horizons with the markets we looked at. 

Wilders come in and we are back to prem players who aren't getting a game or championship randoms. I'm not actually against the like of Balogun or even Connolly but if the reports are true and we are looking at the likes of Hendricks/Clark etc then that has me worried as too our long term targets.

Yeah - it doesn't exactly smack of a club building for promotion, does it?

If we can't find any genuine quality upgrades at the moment, I'd rather Gibson kept his wallet closed until the Summer and try again then.

I don't think we're in a position where we need to be signing players just so we have another body to put on the pitch in case of injury, loss of form etc.

• Like 1

We'll make the play offs, next season the Loans will be better used than the first half of this season plus the Perms we get in over the summer, with the Spence money.
Think we're in a good position and  we'll be in a better position come the start of next season.

• Like 1

Wasn’t expecting it but disappointed nobody came in for Spence in the end, would’ve rather just took the big cash now and ran. Let’s hope he keeps up his form until the summer 

2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Late announcement MFC did indeed make a new signing yesterday.

A Mrs Miggins, who had previously run a pie shop in town was appointed "server of tea" at Rockliffe Park and host to all visitors who bothered to turn up.

Understand that there was some concern over the state of her wooden teeth but her floppy hat clinched the deal!

MFC state they are delighted to welcome Mrs Miggins and her very strange ways and look forward to having a cuppa or two and at a cost of only one penny a cup.

Also we are told that Riley McGree is looking forward to being served by Mrs Miggins because he too likes to wear floppy hats especially those with a few corks attached!

I'm looking forward to Riley turning up at the training ground, watching his team mates take some set pieces then go, "Thats not a free kick...THIS is a free kick", before sticking the ball in the top corner from 20 yards.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic