oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

Does anyone see us revisiting the Michael Smith situation at Rotherham given Warnocks comment he wants another target man?

Smith just turned 30 but is in last 6 months of his contract. Currently has 12 goals at that level.

Does not strike me as the profile club are now looking at but at same time he is profile Warnock will be looking at imo.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

What’s the point like literally what’s the point? We pay money and tie ourselves to a contract for a player who will only be relevant for 4 months. Either loan a player or just play uche.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I didn't mean KS can or would overrule SG...

More like SG makes the decision but publicly it's KS that "sacks" him.

But it won't happen anyway.

I don't know if I'm still misunderstanding you but I'm not sure anyone really ties their name to a sacking any more. This is how we announced the departure of Woodgate publicly:

MFC can confirm that head coach Jonathan Woodgate has been relieved of his duties with immediate effect.

Jonathan was relieved of his role on Tuesday morning and will be replaced by the experienced Neil Warnock.

Warnock will assume responsibility immediately.

The club would like to place on record its thanks to Jonathan for all his work in the role of head coach.

2 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

What’s the point like literally what’s the point? We pay money and tie ourselves to a contract for a player who will only be relevant for 4 months. Either loan a player or just play uche.

Or just play Coburn, who clearly has plenty of the right attributes to be that kind of player and we can actually benefit long-term from giving him the time in the team, one way or another.

The club would be mad to get on board with his demands for another 'big lad up front'.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Or just play Coburn, who clearly has plenty of the right attributes to be that kind of player and we can actually benefit long-term from giving him the time in the team, one way or another.

The club would be mad to get on board with his demands for another 'big lad up front'.

Apart from his goal against Luton he doesn't look ready at all, but I suppose you need gametime for that. Still, I'd rather give Coburn minutes than bring someone like Smith in from Rotherham.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Apart from his goal against Luton he doesn't look ready at all, but I suppose you need gametime for that. Still, I'd rather give Coburn minutes than bring someone like Smith in from Rotherham.

I disagree on how ready he looks, personally. Though like you allude to there, it's not exactly based on a ton of information, he's not played that much for us.

But honestly, last season when we saw him, I was delighted for him to get the goal when he did of course... but I thought he looked a little lightweight and needed to strengthen himself. He was doing a lot of running then too but he seemed like players could just shrug him off with ease.

And whilst admittedly Peterborough is not exactly the team to define your career against at this level by any means, when I watched him live in that game I thought he'd come on leaps and bounds in that respect. I thought he bullied them for the time he was on the pitch and arguably had done enough to earn his goal when it came. I didn't see him in the Brum game as he came on after I'd left I think but I thought first half against Luton, similar again.

Like you say, it's preferable to give him time in the team over a new player. Warnock has said all sorts about how players only get better by playing first-team football and what better level to get it at, surrounded by better players as he's also said about 'his little go' with Olusanya. My worry as ever with the potential of loaning him out is he gets forgotten and doesn't play much there either and we can't do anything about it.

Given the gap Warnock feels we have in the squad, there's surely no harm at this stage to see how Coburn does to fill it. If he doesn't like it, tough.

3 hours ago, Borodane said:

We could always loan him to Forest for some game time and experience. If he gets them into the play offs and promoted then we will know Warnock was right to send him out on loan.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Adam Clayton has been released by Birmingham.

Not that I want him back but what a sad decline in his career it's been.

His downfall coincided with getting married. 😉 Bloody women running footballers 😂

• Haha 1

Probably well before your (and your dad's) time, but once upon a long ago, we had a manager called Horatio (Raich) Carter who had made his name as a player with Sunderland (hiss) and went into management with Leeds (bigger, longer hiss). One of the tales told about him was then he wanted our players to "refrain from exertion" before a match as it weakened the legs. He was so successful that he got us relegated to Division Three for the first time in our history

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/managers/carter.htm

I apologise for the link to the above X-rated site but the fifth picture down has a familiar face in it that shows what a good manager looks like (not the grey-haired bloke) and sad to say, it's actually a decent read 

4 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Wonder what's on Wilder's Christmas list? Guessing transfers must have been discussed. 

First choice RWB, back up LWB and a GK seem essential. 

Spence recalled?

Big man upfront. 

• Haha 1

I think a left footed centre half will be at the top of his list. If he wants to play the overlapping centre half system then its imperative he gets one, otherwise it won't work. Also back up LWB, maybe even a starter if Bola can't get himself fit.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic