oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

2 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

On transfers Its all guess work until we know what system Wilder wants to play. If he insists on his Sheffield formation then there is obvious holes at wing back. I think Bola could do a great job at lcb, McNair aswell, so I don't think that is as much a priority. I actually think the biggest priority we have (which goes for whatever system he picks) is a proper defensive mid. We don't have one on the books. I'd love to see a prime Clayton with a little more mobility added, doesn't need to be the greatest footballer, just sniff out danger and play simple passes to more creative players. 

Yeah I'd agree with that. 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

hopefully he sticks to his words and assesses everybody thoroughly before making any decision. Most of the players in the squad are still young enough to adapt to new roles if required and if he agrees with most fans opinions, then we might start to see more round pegs in round holes and people looking as if they know what they are supposed to be doing. I don't expect miracles, but if we make progress in organisation and fitness, then that will be a start.

2 hours ago, boksicdink said:

Unless Dejan can step in, I think we need to add a keeper to that list too. 

Good shout. A part of me hopes Dejan gets picked for Millwall game. Might sound harsh on Daniels but we never fully worked out if Dejan good enough or not as never really been given a proper run. If he turns out to be good then great and we win and if not we can move on. Be shame if he moves on without us ever fully knowing what he was capable of.

• Like 1

@Dan1234. On the DM you describe. You think Matt Crooks could be earmarked for that role. Wilder used Norwood for that role at Sheff Utd. I imagine a DM for Wilder does not need to be the biggest tackler but someone who gets around the pitch and can snuff out danger.

Albeit Crooks really would to cut out the bookings if he to play that role. He has 5 by 1st week of November and has played most of his football as an attacking midfielder so as a DM god knows how many he will get.

I’m hoping that Wilder can somehow get the best out of Siliki. I can’t lie, when he signed I thought he was going to be one of our best players and add that extra bit of quality to our midfield. He’s been my most disappointing signing this year. Perhaps trying to hard to hard to impress when he gets on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I know he's supposed to be playing well and obviously any young player has the potential to improve, I'm just not sure he's turned into an accomplished defender over the course of a few games. From what I've read he seems to be a threat going forward for Forest but we knew that was his strength anyway. 

It seems daft to question a full backs defensive abilities nowadays because the priority seems to be how well they play in the final third of the pitch. Obviously as a wingback he'd have to do even less defending, but if we are assuming that Wilder wants to play the way he played at Sheffield United then the attacking threat doesn't always come from the wingbacks down the flanks, if a centre back is overlapping he might have to be positionally really good to drop into a more central area or even dropping deeper. 

I'm just saying that I don't think its cut and dried that he comes back here and walks into the team. There's a difference between playing in a system where you have to be very disciplined positionally and playing in one where you can be  more of a free spirit like he's doing at Forest. 

I know what your saying but I don't think spence is a 'bad' defender. He has had concentration lapses at times under warnock and now and again gets caught out of position but he's got all the attributes to get himself out of trouble with his pace and strength. He just needs direction from a coach as to what he wants him to do as at the moment he's inexperienced and the championship is a high level of football so mistakes do get punished. We all know warnock was a poor coach tactically so someone like spence was always going to struggle under him the same as tav and a few of the other younger players have been. This is the reason he prefers tried and tested players who know their job on the pitch over youth. If Wilder can connect with spence the same way cooper seems to be and can get him in the correct mindset then I honestly think he's the best full back/wingback we could hope for in January. It just frustrates me that some of our fans have it in for him when he's so young with so much potential.

49 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@Dan1234. On the DM you describe. You think Matt Crooks could be earmarked for that role. Wilder used Norwood for that role at Sheff Utd. I imagine a DM for Wilder does not need to be the biggest tackler but someone who gets around the pitch and can snuff out danger.

Albeit Crooks really would to cut out the bookings if he to play that role. He has 5 by 1st week of November and has played most of his football as an attacking midfielder so as a DM god knows how many he will get.

I think that would be a waste of Crooks. He's got a goal in him breaking into the box and is quite creative on the break with his passing and through balls. Id like to see him in the 8 role with a 6 alongside although if we need him in that 6 role I think he could do the job if say we have an injury or need to rest someone but he will need to be more disciplined with his positioning and tackling as you say. 

6 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Anybody we bring in we should be looking to offload a player in that position other than left back. I know we have had injuries but I also don't think a huge squad of unhappy players not playing is the answer. There will be a time hopefully soon where we have pretty much a fully fit group of players. I don't like this idea of spending 14mil in Jan it seems haphazard again. Nobody needs to spend 14mil in this climate in this league to pick up decent players unless your pretty much overhauling your team and we don't need that. We are short in 2 positions and could do with offloading one or two who aren't good enough.

Tbh it’s only haphazard if we recruit like the summer we went down. If we genuinely scout players this team and fill the blanks we might actually build a decent team that can gel together before the start of next season or maybe make an assault on the playoffs. That kind of money could add a Randolph, a Gibson and a Bamford (not those exact players but quality wise). We just need to make sure we fill the right voids with the right players. 

• Like 1

If there are players available that will improve the team, that we've scouted and are at a price that's value for money, then there's no reason not to buy in January. The sooner Wilder's players are in place the better.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Tbh it’s only haphazard if we recruit like the summer we went down. If we genuinely scout players this team and fill the blanks we might actually build a decent team that can gel together before the start of next season or maybe make an assault on the playoffs. That kind of money could add a Randolph, a Gibson and a Bamford (not those exact players but quality wise). We just need to make sure we fill the right voids with the right 

Every player we have splashed good money on in the championship since relegation under southgate has turned out to be a dud. All of our best players over the years cost less than 3 million each or came through the academy. I'm not counting Bamford and Traore as they were signed in the prem. The whole point of having a good scouting system for me should mean you don't need to be blasting 14mil to bring one or two players in. We're potentially spending 8mil euros on sporar or thats how much he will probably cost anyone who wants to sign him and 20k a week but someone like Shane Lavery of Blackpool has been easily as good if not better so far this season. I don't want to see Hollywood signings they rarely work out in this division these days and will more than likely cause squad disruption and discontent over wages etc especially if they are not ripping up trees. We have been here before havnt we? I think people need to prove themselves first before being given a warchest.

I was not sure where to put this but in Evening Gazette article today Matt Crooks confirms his fsvoured position is holding midfielder.

Think club should try they best to mould him in to a holding midfielder as we could save a few ££. We successfully turned Clayton from an attacking midfielder to a holding one. Not saying that will be the case with Crooks but its a good start when a play himself says he feels best as a holding midfielder.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I was not sure where to put this but in Evening Gazette article today Matt Crooks confirms his fsvoured position is holding midfielder.

Think club should try they best to mould him in to a holding midfielder as we could save a few ££. We successfully turned Clayton from an attacking midfielder to a holding one. Not saying that will be the case with Crooks but its a good start when a play himself says he feels best as a holding midfielder.

Think he'd need to improve his passing and distribution if he wants to play there in a wilder team. He's sat at 68% pass completion for the season atm, and just watching him you can see he consistently misplaces simple passes.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic