oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Technically you're right. Its not the system, its the idiots tasked with using it.

If they'd just stuck to what was supposed to be the original brief - correcting glaringly wrong decisions, it would probably be okay.

Given the way things have gone, I believe they should follow what cricket and tennis have done. Give both teams 3 reviews and let them decide when to use them. If the appeal is upheld & decision is overturned, they keep the review. If not, they lose a review.

I like that idea, but the way that the Premier League and FA control the referees, I cannot see them allowing anyone an in game chance to highlight mistakes. Just allowing Refs to make comments that they might have been mistaken is a step too far for some.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sanddancer said:

The transfer thread has resulted in some of the most illogical and creative posts I have read in a long time. I wonder if some are aware of the allowed squad size or the fair play rule while others are willing to dump some of our younger developing players for unproven equally developing players with little or no loyalty. Frankly there is no logic in most of the posts with players being suggested for positions we don’t really need. We need a reality check so thank the lord Chris is in charge. I wonder what his favourite crisps are? 

297.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Ooh you've opened a can of worms there.

The oneBoro crisp police will tell you a snack only qualifies as "crisps" if its made of potato in some form.

I'm pretty sure Frazzles are made of wheat or corn. 😉

They are corn I think very tasty too. A pity that smiths were bought by PepsiCo/Walkers who have subtly changed great classics such as Frazzles and Squares. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

the TMO and Ref in Rugby have a conversation using the big screen to discuss what they believe is happening and then the ref makes the decision, all the fans can see what's going on and therefore have faith that the correct decision is made or at least understand why the decision was made.

The referees and the guys doing the reviews in Rugby still have quality, integrity and the games best interests in mind. Sadly I don’t think football has that now and hasn’t since the referees became a private company who’s existence is based on keeping their contract rather than correctly applying the laws of the game.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Naisby said:

They are corn I think very tasty too. A pity that smiths were bought by PepsiCo/Walkers who have subtly changed great classics such as Frazzles and Squares. 

And Pot Noodles have never been as good since they removed the MSG.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

the TMO and Ref in Rugby have a conversation using the big screen to discuss what they believe is happening and then the ref makes the decision, all the fans can see what's going on and therefore have faith that the correct decision is made or at least understand why the decision was made.

Yep - but I get the impression rugby refs are generally more competent and that the rules are simpler, or at least more clearly defined.

I'm beginning to wonder if football isn't suffering a similar problem to F1, where the rules have been re-written so many times that they're becoming impossibly complicated, or even contradictory in places.

Edited by AnglianRed
43 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well I think the Man Utd - Villa game proved any VAR decisions will favour the home team. 🙄

Its bloody stupid to have VAR at all in cup games, given its only used at PL grounds. Either have it for every fixture regardless, or not at all (I'd prefer the latter).

Not to derail the thread further, but I'm going to derail, the thread further.

I do see your point, but I suppose where VAR exists, the FA will say it gives the game the best chance of being fair. And, although it doesn't benefit every team in the round, it does equally benefit both teams in that tie. It's like having a terrible referee - it's not really what anyone wants, but as long as he is equally bad for both teams, it's still a fair contest.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yep - but I get the impression rugby refs are generally more competent and that the rules are simpler, or at least more clearly defined.

I'm beginning to wonder if football isn't suffering a similar problem to the F1, where the rules have been re-written so many times that they're becoming impossibly complicated, or even contradictory in places.

Keep rules simple, so that their interpretation can be applied and understood by the vast majority. Once you make rules and their interpretation so complicated and needing technology you know that the system is broken.

Technology was supposed to be used to complement the game, not used as a tool to manipulate on field decisions.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not to derail the thread further, but I'm going to derail, the thread further.

I do see your point, but I suppose where VAR exists, the FA will say it gives the game the best chance of being fair. And, although it doesn't benefit every team in the round, it does equally benefit both teams in that tie. It's like having a terrible referee - it's not really what anyone wants, but as long as he is equally bad for both teams, it's still a fair contest.  

Fair point.

As Naisby pointed out, its not the system itself, but the people in charge of running it.

And like bad referees, they're either just bad all round, or seem to be biased in favour of one team. 

2 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Looking less of a good deal if FI are correct which they usually are

We're not paying a 1 million fee to have a totally untested youngster for half a season and then top it off with paying a portion of his inflated premier league salary. The lad has yet to show something in senior football. I really struggle to believe that. 

Quite a big outlay for a loan player obviously, but I wonder if we also try to bargain in first refusal for a season long loan after this one? I'm pretty sure we've done that with loans before.

3 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Looking less of a good deal if FI are correct which they usually are

Note that, were the idea of no loan fee plus all wages and his rumoured wage packet correct, we'd pay less just paying his full wages for the rest of the season. This is actually a more expensive deal than just paying his '£40k a week' wages,

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic