oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

It must be hard being a creative player in a Warnock or Pulis team. You have full responsibility for making things happen. When watching the games you can see the likes of Tav, Hernandez, Jones get the ball corner of the box then stop and think 'What now, is anything on? Where are my team mates?' It's that pause that always kills our attacks and why we look so slow and ponderous going forward.

Under Wilder everyone will know their job and what runs their teammates will be making. When Tav gets the ball in a certain position, he'll be thinking about how we've practiced those situations in training, rather than having to figure something out on the fly.

I think he'll be reborn in a system where clever runs are made and we're expected to take the game to other sides. Tav was too young to have much of an impact the last time we had a competent manager.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It's not a succession of Manager's fault that Tav can't pick out a killer pass instead of hanging onto the ball too long or that when he shoots either the camera man ducks or the corner flag takes a hit. That is down to his decision making, vision and composure.

A top Coach may be able to highlight it and work on it with him but I would be amazed if nobody on the various coaching set ups over the years haven't spotted what the fans can see.

The frustrating thing is that he possesses all the talent but struggles with the finer things that will ultimately define his career.

I can be partly down to the tactics that has been constructed to severly limit the possibilities in front of him. When there is only one or two players in and around the box there isn't that many to pass to and often that will result in a wild shot. I'm not saying he doesn't have to work on his end product, because he absolutely has to, but he's also been limited in attack by his managers.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I can be partly down to the tactics that has been constructed to severly limit the possibilities in front of him. When there is only one or two players in and around the box there isn't that many to pass to and often that will result in a wild shot. I'm not saying he doesn't have to work on his end product, because he absolutely has to, but he's also been limited in attack by his managers.

I get that but that isn't always the case. I think as fans we can see when he has had no options and attacks fizzled out. In those scenarios we are usually screaming at his team mates to get up, support, make runs etc.

The frustration arises when he does have options and won't release the ball early enough.

Then there are set pieces when his deliveries are somewhere between woeful and poor. My take on him is that in his head he believes himself to be far better than he is which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He can still be a late bloomer but time is running out fast for him.

His career trajectory could see him an established Premiership player or another Barry Bannon in Legue One, excites other fans but never quite lived up to the hype.

• Like 2

I'd take anything north of £12m for Tav. I think he's good, and won't be annoyed if we don't sell him, but there's a lot we can do with £12m + whatever's already in the kitty.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'd take anything north of £12m for Tav. I think he's good, and won't be annoyed if we don't sell him, but there's a lot we can do with £12m + whatever's already in the kitty.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is that there are still a lot of the same actors involved in the recruitment process. It's all well and good if Scott can spot the solid buys in the current market but if he's still working within a relatively broken process then he might still be held back and £12m might not go very far at all.

I'd be looking at £20m minimum personally. Certainly doesn't feel like there's a need to undersell what is probably our biggest asset at the club. He's only 23 in March and has over 100 Championship appearances, strong majority of those being starts. If we sell for £12m up front and some achievable bonuses, fair do's.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The only thing that makes me hesitant is that there are still a lot of the same actors involved in the recruitment process. It's all well and good if Scott can spot the solid buys in the current market but if he's still working within a relatively broken process then he might still be held back and £12m might not go very far at all.

I'd be looking at £20m minimum personally. Certainly doesn't feel like there's a need to undersell what is probably our biggest asset at the club. He's only 23 in March and has over 100 Championship appearances, strong majority of those being starts. If we sell for £12m up front and some achievable bonuses, fair do's.

I suppose a lot of it also comes down to what he has said behind the scenes. He's got 18 months to go on his contract, so I'd expect the club to have started talks about his future. If he's said that he wants a new challenge in the Prem then januar or the summer will be our last chances of getting a decent deal. While 1,5 years is a long time we all know what happens to a players value when they go into the final 12 months. Personally I hope he extends his contract by a few years with a common understanding that we won't stand in his way if a good enough offer comes in.

• Like 3

Slightly off topic but I went to Home Park last night to watch the FA Cup replay between Argyle and Sheff Wed and Wingy was starting so kept a close eye on him.

Was completely out of the game. Slow, positionally inept and bar the 40 yard odd switch in play he was completely ineffective. You could actually see and hear Bannan having to guide him through the game.

Whilst I agree it is a clean slate for everyone under Wilder, including our players out on loan, I'd be very surprised if Wing gets a look in.

• Like 1

I'd say £12m with add-ons would be good value.

James Maddison went for £22m at a younger age on the back of a far, far better personal season for Norwich.

But I wouldn't be selling Tav till the summer if we were going to.

Cornish boy  I saw Wingy a couple of weeks ago

Again I'd have to comment that he did not seem to be in the game.  He appeared to be covering what he'd been told to cover and he did make a number of excellent passes and he seemed to make himself very available for a pass but very little came in his direction

He was often called slow here but that wasn't particularly in evidence

We signed him as he was scoring screamers for Shildon every time he played.  We seem to have worked hard to stop him showcasing that ability

• Like 1

Would be stupid to sell him in Jan imo. His value isn't going to go down in a few months but it has the potential to skyrocket if wilder manages to get the best out of him for the second half of the season. 

30 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Thinking about Tav’s value who would you compare him to that’s moved from Championship to the Prem?

I was having a look earlier, I think Dan James is a decent comparison. Both count as homegrown players, same age, both struggle with end product but clearly have plenty of ability. He went for £16m at the time apparently, although I seem to remember it being more tbh.

Edited by Will
47 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'd say £12m with add-ons would be good value.

James Maddison went for £22m at a younger age on the back of a far, far better personal season for Norwich.

But I wouldn't be selling Tav till the summer if we were going to.

Since then homegrown players have become more sought after with Brexit. That should add a few million to his valuation.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic