oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not to derail the thread further, but I'm going to derail, the thread further.

I do see your point, but I suppose where VAR exists, the FA will say it gives the game the best chance of being fair. And, although it doesn't benefit every team in the round, it does equally benefit both teams in that tie. It's like having a terrible referee - it's not really what anyone wants, but as long as he is equally bad for both teams, it's still a fair contest.  

It’s exactly as you say it’s about fairness and integrity. The old generation of referees and linesmen were equally good and bad for everyone in equal measure.

Then we got the professional refs who were supposed to all be of the same standard and work to the same interpretation of the laws and situations. The success of that policy led to calls for VAR to correct glaring mistakes that were made.

Sadly this Broke the link between the rulebook and the referee. The laws set the standards, the referees were the independent applicators and adjudicators. Now we have private companies with exclusivity to employ referees and the same companies control VAR. So any refs who don’t get with what the programme is regardless of skill will find that they are not given the same split of games their colleagues do.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I can believe we'd do it though.

If we apparently paid a £2m loan fee for Jordan Hugill, we'd probably do it for a rising youth star.

That was for a full season and he was proven at this league. And it was still stupid. This deal is for half a season and he is coming with little to no first team experience. Will he even be physically ready to contribute from day one? If we're investing that amount of cash surely it has to be with an understanding of extending next season if all goes well. Or it's a promotion clause.

• Like 1

Loan fees are a tricky one.  

On the one hand I don't think that clubs should be able to receive these fees because take a club like Chelsea.  They currently have 22 players out on loan.  If they receive a loan fee that more than covers their wages they are making a profit and it therefore encourages them to snap up all young players and then just loan them out.  

However on the other hand - take our situation with Spence.  If all that was happening was his wages being covered then he is running down his contract and becoming less valuable as a saleable asset.  (Granted a good period playing could drive his value up)

I guess I probably think loan fees are fair but that clubs should have a maximum number of players they are allowed to send out on loan where they receive a fee for them.  So in Chelsea's instance they can only receive fees for maximum 5 players and they others have to be fee free.

All I can think is we are actually going to give it a go this season and push for promotion.  I don’t take anything from twitter and media folk as knowing the structure of deals.  It’s mental, for the first time in a long time I trust what is happening with the club.

We're in with a genuine chance of finishing in and winning the play offs. How many times can we say that's been the case over the last 10 years? These risks are worth taking when we're in this situation.

• Like 9

If true I think on paper it's an expensive loan however its one that you judge in the summer as if we get promoted and he has played a part in it its money well spent. 

I think the signing does show intent by us and given how we are playing and our form play offs looks very likely. Automatics are a long shot but it'll require this run to continue and luck with injuries. That said even under Warnock I never felt there was a team that outplayed us rather we were poor so I think we are as good as anyone in the division especially playing the way we are right now.

• Like 3

people dont know the REAL financial details,and i cant understand why anyone would be concerned to be honest,gibbo has proven he wont overstretch himself these days,if he didnt go for these so called better players,theyd say he was lacking in ambition,onwards and upwards,utb!!!!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Humpty said:

We're in with a genuine chance of finishing in and winning the play offs. How many times can we say that's been the case over the last 10 years? These risks are worth taking when we're in this situation.

We need to put to rest the Wembley curse for the sake of us and North East football in general its ridiculous how bad results for the NE big 3 have been at Wembley in my life time (87 onwards)

37 minutes ago, Borodane said:

That was for a full season and he was proven at this league. And it was still stupid. This deal is for half a season and he is coming with little to no first team experience. Will he even be physically ready to contribute from day one? If we're investing that amount of cash surely it has to be with an understanding of extending next season if all goes well. Or it's a promotion clause.

Hugill - proven at what? Not a goal scorer for sure! Very patchy record. What’s he got this season on loan at West Brom? 1 goal! He is useless as a goal scoring striker

33 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Well half of £2m is £1m soooooooooo... 😅 Hugill wasn't a proven goalscorer in this league either. The hope with that one is he'd fit into more what Pulis wanted from a forward but he ended up being just as isolated as Britt was, making no real difference to us. I think Warnock would have got more out of him.

I don't think physically there will be a problem unless he's responded badly to COVID. He might not be a first teamer but he's played plenty of football in PL2, played 11 of their 15 games in the league and scored a goal every 68 minutes there this season, a third of their PL2 goals. Got 2 in 2 in the EFL Trophy as well making him, by some margin, their top scorer this season. I don't have the same concern I had for, say, Bolasie. He came in and looked like he needed 3-5 games to get up to speed.

If we don't go up, maybe there's a chance to bring him back. I don't think that will be determined by this deal though. Arsenal will be keeping a keen eye on him and Arteta might bring him more into the fold next season if he does well here for 6 months.

It's a risk but a risk worth taking right now if we want to give it a good go this season.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic