oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Do we think it's a concern that 3 of our 4 first team strikers are on loan. I'm discounting Uche here, as I reckon he will be gone in the summer at the latest (despite his great goal at the weekend), and I think Coburn will be off on loan next season too. That leaves us needing to recruit 3 new strikers in the summer, but I suppose it's a good thing as we will be needing Prem players by that time.

No, I actually think the opposite.

Even if we don't manage to get promoted this year, Wilder will probably want the decks clear and to bring in the strikers he wants. We might be able to get Sporar permanently, but even he might be binned off in favour of someone who is a better fit for Wilder's system, and having the clean break of the loan allows us to do that.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

I might be being stupid but why do clubs break it down as: 

1 million loan fee plus 15% of wages rather than

150k loan fee plus 100% of wages.

Why do they prefer to receive fee rather than wages paid?  Is it for FFP?

For Arsenals sake I think the numbers are too insignificant to make a difference, but for us I would imagine that it has something to do with our wage budget and likely FFP too. We've got to keep wages to turnover low I believe. Maybe it gives us more leeway in the summer where we want to give it a god go again after saving money the past few seasons.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Do we think it's a concern that 3 of our 4 first team strikers are on loan. I'm discounting Uche here, as I reckon he will be gone in the summer at the latest (despite his great goal at the weekend), and I think Coburn will be off on loan next season too. That leaves us needing to recruit 3 new strikers in the summer, but I suppose it's a good thing as we will be needing Prem players by that time.

It could be a few reasons we are loaning player rather than buying at this point. 

1- I think FFP is done on a 3 year cycle(I'm not an expert on this but what I have read previously) so players might be coming off it which leaves more money available in the summer to buy players.

2- January is notorious for being a difficult transfer window with inflated fees, so might not as this point in the season be able to get the deals over the line.

3- is linked to point 1 and 2. The player we want are not available until the summer or not for a acceptable sum.

4- We are on very good form and maybe the club is quietly optimistic that we could be playing premiership football next season which would open up a bigger range of players willing to join and give us more financial clout to get the deals done.

For me loans at this point are perfect as it will hopefully give us the boost in numbers to get through the second part of the season without the long term commitment of permanent signings, especially in the striker department where it is very hit or miss(excuse the pun).

• Like 2

It might be a loan feee instead of paying extra for lack of game time, I know Liverpool when they send players on loan effectively have a fine systems in place that the the other team has to pay if their player isn't getting the guaranteed playing time, basically a win win situation for Liverpool that they get some extra cash or the player gets game time.

I can't imagine the 'fine' is going to be 1million but that might be part of the reason the fee is that price to cover our back if he ends up not playing.

Personally I think it's a great move, my Arsenal friends rave about him and say he works incredibly hard, not just a striker who sits at the top of the pitch, he will run and press which is exactly what Wilder wants. You've now got 4 strikers who we can alternate between and keep that high press, when Dunc starts to get tired at the 60/70min mark, you have Connolly and Balogun to come on for him and continue the high press energy levels.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

You say that as if Payero has done something wrong, we just have a settled midfield in a team that is winning continuously. He’ll get his chance 

Since Wilder took over: when the the decision is made to change the midfield how many times has he been brought on? Once for less than 2 minutes.. Wilder either doesn't like him or doesn't trust him.

1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

Since Wilder took over: when the the decision is made to change the midfield how many times has he been brought on? Once for less than 2 minutes.. Wilder either doesn't like him or doesn't trust him.

He was injured for Wilder's first 3 matches, potentially not fully fit in the next few.

He had Covid for the cup match.

So of Wilder's 9 games in charge, Payero couldn't have played in 4 of them and might not have been fully fit for more of them.

5 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

The thing is with the midfield is that it rarely changes unless there is an injury or something is going dramatically wrong on the pitch.  Since Wilders arrival our midfield have actually been playing really well and we have not picked up any injuries, this makes it extremely difficult to justify the inclusion of Payero over any of the others when he has been available.
I think his chance will come and it has nothing to do with Wilder not liking him tbh.

12 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

To be fair to the lad he was struggling to get up to speed with the intensity of Warnock’s football, nevermind Wilder’s.

No doubt he will get his chance between now and May, he just needs to be ready to take it.

I don’t know if the fee is true or complete rubbish, but if it is anywhere near true just bear in mind a big chunk of it will come from 45% of a big gate revenue from Old Trafford. That shouldn’t have been in the club budget earlier in the season. 

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I forget myself sometimes we have akpom out on loan as well. 

Our January investment can be recouped in the summer if we don't get promoted, so I'm not concerned. We've got loads of saleable assets, particularly someone like Spence who will raise a good fee and isn't particularly needed here for next season as we already have Jones. We also have others players like Tavernier and Fry who could also be sold for big money and replaced adequately for a lot less. It sounds like we have some strategy behind the scenes for the first time in a very long time so I'd like to think that we can reinvested funds wisely.

Even if Balogun struggles to make the step up to first team football, it's not the end of the world as we already have Sporar, Watmore and Connolly here so we're not completely reliant on him. Our forward 4 options are incredibly strong as we can consistently play our best two for the first 60 minutes and then bring the other two on for the final 30 minutes. It should help us finish games strongly and get more late winners.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 8
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic