oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

6 hours ago, TLF10 said:

I hope you dont think am being flippant here but your comment above is a contradiction within itself.

To say “apparently a return is unlikely” but I would be surprised if he did not return does not not make much sense.

Someone I know, who knows someone said Spence isn’t coming back. From my perspective, I’d be surprised if that’s the case given his form and our need for a right wing back.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Riverside94 said:

I think with all injuries back and a proper RWB we won’t be too bad. Need another striker tho as don’t think Ikpeazu will suit the way we wanting to play now 

Even the sheer possibility that this may be true makes me weep for some of our summer recruitment.

Listening to the Boro Breakdown and two of the areas they were speaking about improvements for were keeper and strikers. We only signed the two of each of those this summer. 😬 Sporar is seemingly the only one who is entirely suited for what we want.

Indeed, I like Uche but I'm just not sure he's going to work with this way of playing. Perhaps he'll get his chance to show how he can do against Preston tomorrow as I doubt Sporar will be back. He's certainly got a bit of pace but I don't know whether he's going to be making the runs in behind or be overly involved in build-up play on the floor. It feels like right now that he's just someone signed to keep Warnock on board in the short-term whilst Scott did his due diligence on the manager he wanted to bring in next.

Thank God we didn't go out and buy some of the other players Warnock wanted. Thank God we got this new manager in place before January. Just naturally wish it was sooner for all our sakes.

Don't usually mind football insider but that article dies not read well.

“He has been out of favour last couple of weeks”.

Well he hasnt. He has been injured

Also, that above sentence reads as it he been out of favour with Wilder for several matches when that also not the case

• Like 1
Just now, TLF10 said:

Don't usually mind football insider but that article dies not read well.

“He has been out of favour last couple of weeks”.

Well he hasnt. He has been injured

Also, that above sentence reads as it he been out of favour with Wilder for several matches when that also not the case

I should add I would not be shocked if Uche does go but given how wilder was talking about Coburn i suspected Balogun (if he comes) would replace Coburn.

wilder likes 4 strikers so imagined the 4 would be Sporar, Balogun, Uche and Watmore.

I like Ikpeazu, so I'd be slightly disappointed to see him leave, but it's not hard to get the fee back and if  Wilder doesn't want him then it makes sense to move him on.

Though I'd agree with TLF that there seems to be a lot of supposition in the article.

Though I do think there'll be plenty of casualties in January from his press conference, and you'd think Ikpeazu would be a likely candidate given his limited pace.

One of the keepers will leave, I'd expect Lea Siliki to go if he doesn't feature properly in the next month.

Edited by TeaCider24
39 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I like Ikpeazu, so I'd be slightly disappointed to see him leave, but it's not hard to get the fee back and if  Wilder doesn't want him then it makes sense to move him on.

Though I'd agree with TLF that there seems to be a lot of supposition in the article.

Though I do think there'll be plenty of casualties in January from his press conference, and you'd think Ikpeazu would be a likely candidate given his limited pace.

One of the keepers will leave, I'd expect Lea Siliki to go if he doesn't feature properly in the next month.

A lot of sentiment about Ikpeazu but was he bought here to Middlesbrough based on purely that he scored against us when at Wycombe.

We have all seen him play and he is not what Warnock thought, for a big man he does go down far too easily and obviously injury prone. And he does seem to miss far too often.

He will score the odd goal or two but hey let's not kid ourselves because we have all seen the glaring misses.

If CW can improve him so be it but surely we want the best for Boro and sorry Uche is not it!

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Even the sheer possibility that this may be true makes me weep for some of our summer recruitment.

Listening to the Boro Breakdown and two of the areas they were speaking about improvements for were keeper and strikers. We only signed the two of each of those this summer. 😬 Sporar is seemingly the only one who is entirely suited for what we want.

Indeed, I like Uche but I'm just not sure he's going to work with this way of playing. Perhaps he'll get his chance to show how he can do against Preston tomorrow as I doubt Sporar will be back. He's certainly got a bit of pace but I don't know whether he's going to be making the runs in behind or be overly involved in build-up play on the floor. It feels like right now that he's just someone signed to keep Warnock on board in the short-term whilst Scott did his due diligence on the manager he wanted to bring in next.

Thank God we didn't go out and buy some of the other players Warnock wanted. Thank God we got this new manager in place before January. Just naturally wish it was sooner for all our sakes.

I hear you but you can also look at it the other way. We didn’t spend a lot in the summer. The two keepers came on a free if I remember rightly so even if we sold them both we have made a profit. One striker has been loaned in, and the other for not very much. Spent about 8 mill on 13 players (one of them costing more then half of the 8 mil) so I just look at it like this. We tried to give Warnock the bare minimum to succeed his way and if it didn’t work then financially we are still OK to fund the next man in. And aren’t stuck with a load of players that are no good. You’d think Bamba (who I think IS actually good) Peltier etc the older players will probably only have a short contract and go after they expire. They will be suitors for Lumley and Daniel’s even for a small profit. So not too bad a shape I don’t think. Add to that Spence, Coulson, Wing, Akpom to return to the squad or to sell on.

4 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

I hear you but you can also look at it the other way. We didn’t spend a lot in the summer. The two keepers came on a free if I remember rightly so even if we sold them both we have made a profit. One striker has been loaned in, and the other for not very much. Spent about 8 mill on 13 players (one of them costing more then half of the 8 mil) so I just look at it like this. We tried to give Warnock the bare minimum to succeed his way and if it didn’t work then financially we are still OK to fund the next man in. And aren’t stuck with a load of players that are no good. You’d think Bamba (who I think IS actually good) Peltier etc the older players will probably only have a short contract and go after they expire. They will be suitors for Lumley and Daniel’s even for a small profit. So not too bad a shape I don’t think. Add to that Spence, Coulson, Wing, Akpom to return to the squad or to sell on.

Oh I don't think it's an overwhelming travesty or anything mate, I agree, I think we have tried to give Warnock the bare minimum here. Probably why the Olusanya deal was so easy for us to agree to too, effectively peanuts to put a grin on the manager's face when you know you'll be moving him on at the earliest opportunity.

I do feel for the players a little like, uprooting, signing 3 year contracts then getting told they might be sold 'cause the new manager doesn't want you 6 months later. It isn't exactly a tactic that has served us well either, I just hope this is the end of it now, no more signing players to longer terms than we really want them for, no more signing players for the sake of signing players. Scott is here, the manager he wants is here, it's time to show a united front on all levels of recruitment.

The only other thing I'd say is it's a lot easier saying you'll sell players than actually selling them and when that's the difference between signing players your current manager wants and not signing them, it makes you look a bit daft for bringing them in 6 months before you want to move them on. We've seen it often enough here just since we were last relegated. The only player I can really remember us having such a quick turnaround on in the last 5 years or so was Cyrus Christie and that's when he was arguably one of our better players under the previous manager and suited Fulham more than he did Pulis. I don't think anyone will be jumping to sign Lumley, Daniels, Uche or anyone he'll want rid of. Not unless Warnock gets a new job soon, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic