Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i think you probably right, big support means nothing its the location. newcastle is a great example.

Give it time and if they were in the Premier League, Glasgow would have the same attraction to players as Manchester or Liverpool do imo.

Newcastle is an odd one though as it defies all the logic as to why as a club they still fail to achieve miserably. They have no local competition, ie a city rival, they have regular loyal big fan base, offer ridiculous pay to attract players and are in the premier league.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Riverside94 said:

Right back to transfers rather then an SPL debate?

At least it is football related as you know this thread can go in many directions🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I feel a little sorry for them as there's no really way to progress. It's a shame they can't merge the leagues in some way or at least get them to into the English leagues. I don't know how it came about for Cardiff and Swansea so can't comment regarding them but surely it's possible. The issue is they'd have to start at the bottom. 

I for one don’t feel sorry for them one iota. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Naisby said:

Give it time and if they were in the Premier League, Glasgow would have the same attraction to players as Manchester or Liverpool do imo.

Newcastle is an odd one though as it defies all the logic as to why as a club they still fail to achieve miserably. They have no local competition, ie a city rival, they have regular loyal big fan base, offer ridiculous pay to attract players and are in the premier league.

There failure could be described in two words,  expectations and patience 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

Sadly, players care massively about the social aspect of being a footballer.

If they don't have quick access to Manchester or London for an evening out. It's hard to attract them.

Money can only do so much. If you're going for a player and a team from London comes in you'll struggle to win the race.

We seem to be having better look attracting players under Wilder though from our point of view.

We've put ourselves in a great position with half the window left to go. It's very unlike Boro. It's a strange feeling.

While I don’t disagree location may influence decisions, but it’s not the driver and it’s more to do with history and records. 

Edited by sanddancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I for one don’t feel sorry for them one iota. 

I don't either, them and rangers have both cashed in on religious tensions and bigotry for their entire existences. They make a fortune from capitalising on something that has caused so many people so much pain, especially over here. If you're from Glasgow I understand, but picking a football team on the basis of hating the "other side" so much is a little sad - and make no mistake, that's the main reason here. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

Because nothing says "I'm not butthurt" like writing an entire article about why you're not butthurt...

This is really so crazy to me. In North America here, we see these twitter jabs all the time in the MLS, NHL, NFL ETC... Its all in good fun and fans love it. Ive never seen a fan base get so hurt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

This is really so crazy to me. In North America here, we see these twitter jabs all the time in the MLS, NHL, NFL ETC... Its all in good fun and fans love it. Ive never seen a fan base get so hurt. 

Old Firm paranoia in full effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

This is really so crazy to me. In North America here, we see these twitter jabs all the time in the MLS, NHL, NFL ETC... Its all in good fun and fans love it. Ive never seen a fan base get so hurt. 

It happens up and down the Football League as well. It's all a bit of banter. You give some, you take some, it all evens out. It's just a bit of a laugh. Seems like this Celtic fan Mr. Forrest finds himself incapable of taking a joke.

I suppose it must be hard winning title after title, hitting the ceiling of domestic football in your country year on year whilst having less and less effect on the European stage. Then you lose the title for the first year in nearly a decade on top of that.

Though, we all have them don't we? I still remember the BoroFanTV videos at Elland Road and Carrow Road. I just hope the majority of Celtic fans feel the same way about Mr. Forrest as the majority of us felt about that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It happens up and down the Football League as well. It's all a bit of banter. You give some, you take some, it all evens out. It's just a bit of a laugh. Seems like this Celtic fan Mr. Forrest finds himself incapable of taking a joke.

I suppose it must be hard winning title after title, hitting the ceiling of domestic football in your country year on year whilst having less and less effect on the European stage. Then you lose the title for the first year in nearly a decade on top of that.

Though, we all have them don't we? I still remember the BoroFanTV videos at Elland Road and Carrow Road. I just hope the majority of Celtic fans feel the same way about Mr. Forrest as the majority of us felt about that.

big time celtic winning cups and titles all the time. lose out to a small time championship club to a player. oooooooo it must sting a bit lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only major transfer battle with Celtic I can remember Boro having over the years was Scott Brown under Mclaren and then when they swooped in to pinch Ben Hutchinson from us just as he was breaking into our squad who had a slightly less successful career than Scott Brown...

Hopefully Mcgree turns out to be a great bit of business for us, after seeing Birmingham fans reviews of him being a midfielder with real pace who ups the tempo of attacks I am quite excited to see him in action!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fans that it stings the most for are those who have for years given it out but now cannot take it when reality bites.

Up until a decade ago Celtic and Rangers could compete for players with English clubs and outside of the big 8 or so beat them to players with their promise of Europe and shiny cups. Now with tv showing matches from all countries all the time even a lad from Australia knows the difference between the Scottish offers and the rest of Europe and Britain. 

Money and glory are not things to be turned down lightly, but when your dream is to play at the top, the traditional route of playing for the Scottish big two has been so diminished that even their fans know this and sadly they know there is nothing they the clubs or the players can do about it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...