Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!


Recommended Posts

Wilder in his presser said he wants to work with 23/24 players with 3 GKs. This suggests he wants 2 players for each of the 10 outfield positions. 

I dont think we had proper cover in each position with the right balance since Karanka promotion season when the balance and back up were both very good. However, i think we are well on the way to having it under Wilder too.

Lumley

Dijk Fry Paddy

Jones Crooks Howson Tav Bola

Sporar Balogun

BACK UP

Daniels

Hall Bamba Wood

Peltier Payero Boyd-Munce McGree Taylor

Watmore Connolly

Brynn and Coburn being players 23 and 24.

Uche, Browne and La Saliki on way out. Then I think any new incomings depends on one of the GKs and Hall most likely leaving. 

Then I think we are set for the season.

Edited by TLF10
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Wilder in his presser said he wants to work with 23/24 players with 3 GKs. This suggests he wants 2 players for each of the 10 outfield positions. 

I dont think we had proper cover in each position with the right balance since Karanka promotion season when the balance and back up were both very good. However, i think we are well on the way to having it under Wilder too.

Lumley

Dijk Fry Paddy

Jones Crooks Howson Tav Bola

Sporar Balogun

BACK UP

Daniels

Hall Bamba Wood

Peltier Payero Boyd-Munce McGree Bola

Watmore Connolly

Brynn and Coburn being players 23 and 24.

Uche, Browne and La Saliki on way out. Then I think any new incomings depends on one of the GKs and Hall most likely leaving. 

Then I think we are set for the season.

Presume you mean Taylor at LWB in one of those set ups @TLF10

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Wilder in his presser said he wants to work with 23/24 players with 3 GKs. This suggests he wants 2 players for each of the 10 outfield positions. 

I dont think we had proper cover in each position with the right balance since Karanka promotion season when the balance and back up were both very good. However, i think we are well on the way to having it under Wilder too.

Lumley

Dijk Fry Paddy

Jones Crooks Howson Tav Bola

Sporar Balogun

BACK UP

Daniels

Hall Bamba Wood

Peltier Payero Boyd-Munce McGree Bola

Watmore Connolly

Brynn and Coburn being players 23 and 24.

Uche, Browne and La Saliki on way out. Then I think any new incomings depends on one of the GKs and Hall most likely leaving. 

Then I think we are set for the season.

That can’t be right. I recall the uproar on here at the thought of 6 CB’s

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

That can’t be right. I recall the uproar on here at the thought of 6 CB’s

When?  I would have thought that most of our squads have around 6 central defenders in them?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to all those that spotted by Bola at LWB twice error in the earlier post. Struggling to get the guy on the pitch at all and yet I have him in two teams.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

When?  I would have thought that most of our squads have around 6 central defenders in them?

Go back and read through. Some else mentioned it and people reacted like it was the most stupid thing ever said.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Borodane said:
2 hours ago, T-CIDER said:

I'd be having a look at getting in Louie Moulden from Wolves on loan til end of the season. He's in the England under 20s squad

Might as well just try Bryn then. If we sign a keeper I’d want it to be someone with a bit of experience. 

Yes, I agree. While obviously the talk of Dean Henderson was far-fetched, someone in that same mould would presumably be what Wilder is looking at - highly rated, experienced, but second or third choice at their current club. Freddie Woodman wouldn't surprise me at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Go back and read through. Some else mentioned it and people reacted like it was the most stupid thing ever said.

Yeah, back a while ago I wrote

On 12/10/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bruce said:

We need 6 centre backs to play this formation

Dijksteel. Injury prone. Inexperienced as a centre back. Can play RCB only

Fry. Can play CB or back up RCB

Bamba. Ideal back up CB

McNair. Ideal RCB. Back up LCB

Hall. Injury prone. Back up CB

Wood. Potential but not clear if he will make it. Very inexperienced. Probably only RCB

Lee Peltier. Back up RCB. Emergency back up LCB

Given that we don't have a natural LCB and it is unclear whether Wood is good enough to get on the pitch then I can certainly see Hall being offered out to make room for a left footer. Wilder has praised Peltier so I think he'll hold onto him. I think Hall has been decent for us; Warnock's system can easily make defenders look exposed for pace while Hall would probably be just fine in Wilder's more structured system. Thing is that Bamba has been so awesome that it is probably safe to let Hall go if a buyer can be found.

Wilder's SOP is to have two players for each outfield spot with others who can flex and cover a few spots in an emergency. We currently have 7 first team centre backs on the books with Hall and Wood being the obvious weak links and no natural left-footer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes, I agree. While obviously the talk of Dean Henderson was far-fetched, someone in that same mould would presumably be what Wilder is looking at - highly rated, experienced, but second or third choice at their current club. Freddie Woodman wouldn't surprise me at all.

That would be a mistake. Woodman wasn't very good at swansea despite the stats

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still convinced we only signed Lumley because he made a couple of good saves against us and Warnock was like: "Ay he's right good him. We'd be promoted easy if we had a lad like him, d'ya get me?" 

A PL loan does seem the way for this window at least. Must be a better keeper than ours somewhere wanting a bit of game time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I'm still convinced we only signed Lumley because he made a couple of good saves against us and Warnock was like: "Ay he's right good him. We'd be promoted easy if we had a lad like him, d'ya get me?" 

A PL loan does seem the way for this window at least. Must be a better keeper than ours somewhere wanting a bit of game time. 

Anyone in mind?  

I've had a look through PL squads and I can't really see a name that stands out that would be a realistic move

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Latest Posts

    • John Ruddy been officially let go by Wolves it seems, I wouldn't be totally against him signing. Was always a Good Championship level keeper for both Wolves and Norwich. I read something regarding George Friend a few pages back the other day and I would be totally all for it, would add some great leadership and the fans would surely be right behind him still and as a left sided centre back I think he could do a real job for us even if just as a back up option. Also heard the Rhodes rumors and I personally believe he is a perfect Wilder Striker, such a hard worker and a great finisher. Which leads me to my final former Boro player, Ben Gibson. I again would love to see him return and think he could flourish in the left sided centre back role for Wilder's system. I do think the best options for those outside centre back roles are more suited to a full back converted/secondary centre back but at Sheff United Wilder didn't always have that option and was still greatly successful. If Fry was to leave Gibson would be great in the middle of the 3 of course.  
    • Very strange move, but apparently it's a three-year contract and for good money. He'll finish is career mid-table in the Championship.
    • Nothing mate. Just a hunch feeling. 
    • Heard something more or just speculating?

×
×
  • Create New...