oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

As far as I can see, the golden boys of Norwich and Brentford rarely do either.

The recent one I can find are:

- Brentford signing Halil Dervisoglu, a striker from Rotterdam, in January 2020, he flopped, barely made an appearance and they've loaned him out 3 times since.

- Norwich signed Philip Heise in January 2019 and he left without ever making a league appearance.

- The main one that stands out is Norwich signing Onel Hernandez in January 2018, as he was a regular, but they also signed Dennis Srbeny who was a bit part that they sold back to the club they bought him from.

Brentford seem to sign a handful of foreign imports for their B team now and again, but they don't feature for the first team.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Have we reverted to type this January?

In the summer it was exotic foreigners we were looking at (well half the recruitment team was) an Argentinan midfielder. Brazilian centre forward, Belgium winger. 

Now in January it has been essentially those with experience playing in England (a very Warnock idea).

So have we abandoned the experiment already?

Was it really Warnock after the foreign legion? (After all he’s gone now)

Has Scott really improved us are we essentially any different to what we were?

I don't think it really means anything. McGree aside, the signings are short term to get us through to the end of the season - can't afford any bedding in time for that so makes sense to go for domestic players. 

That said, wilder does have a strong history of sticking to domestic players too - it's the style of player that will differ from what you've seen come in under warnock. You won't see any physical specimens with skill/football ability being a secondary factor ala uche. Also won't see over the hill old favourites ala bamba and peltier. There's no way we sign Connolly or balogan under warnocks regime. 

• Like 2
On 1/31/2022 at 4:12 PM, Brunners said:

Not a topic I understand very well so I will summon @DanFromDownSouth and defer to him on the topic of numbers!

@Changing TimesWithout going into it too much as the horse has well and truly bolted! 😂

On 1/31/2022 at 4:07 PM, Changing Times said:

As it happens though I don't know how well those two merged seasons will work in our favour

We'll definitely make a loss in the next set of accounts, but luckily rather than being added on top of each other it'll be averaged. That's where it'll work in our favour, so rather than us posting £30m+ losses in two seasons (which I think we will) from an FFP stand point they'll effectively just use the average of both. So potentially we'll have only posted one £30m+ figure.

• Like 1

Think as it stands the window has been a success if you view it from purely an "on paper" point of view. We've shifted a few players out that wouldn't fit the style of play (we are likely to want to play) and we've arguably brought in a couple that would suit our style a bit more (again I'm assuming our play style in the long run).

However long term this window offers more questions than answers, we've only really signed Mcgree past this summer for the first team. Given the amount of players we have out of contract this summer (plus the ones I think are likely to be told they can go), it really does set us up for a very pivotal summer window. But on the flip side, short term we have a genuine prospect at the top 6, we've brought in players that should hopefully give us a boost towards that. Importantly without breaking the bank and without being lumbered with players brought in for a short term goal, long term. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Bringing in Lundstram without offloading JLS would have pushed us past FFP, that's how close we are.

The silly thing is that the true FFP result for this year won’t be known until we have annual accounts for the year, though? So we don’t know yet what results will be - we could beat MU and that would have paid for extra wages. If we sell anyone in May or June, before year end that will feed into FFP calculations. If we get into playoffs, there will be extra gate and TV revenue.  We don’t even know the gate take for the rest of the season.

However, the club has to put in a forecast by 31st March for this season and that is what is used for the initial calculation. The League then reviews this after the accounts are actually produced to see if there are any material variances. Obviously there often will be  - as listed above. If the variance is positive (e.g. you sell Spence for £20m in June), then this improves your finances, so are well under FFP limits. If the variance is negative though, the League can presumably argue you haven’t produced a fair forecast. So the only way a club near the limit can be safe is to take very negative view - no play offs, losing in next round of cup, no player sales before July and poor gate receipts. Seems a bit one sided, but I guess that’s what Boro have done if DZ is right.

Incidentally if we are that close it that might be why we didn’t pay off Hall for rest of contract. Pay him off now and the whole cost goes into the forecast, wait until the end of the season and it only current year wages need to be included at moment.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Bringing in Lundstram without offloading JLS would have pushed us past FFP, that's how close we are.

Bet Wilder is fuming we couldn’t move JLS out but it’s something that should have been sorted before AFCON

6 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Bet Wilder is fuming we couldn’t move JLS out but it’s something that should have been sorted before AFCON

It needed JLS to agree though. Not really under Boro control, even if they found someone willing to take him?

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Doubt it. We’re not just one player’s wages away from failing FFP. 

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

This must be true because you are a very reliable source of information……..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I wouldn’t be surprised Gazette had us as fifth highest wages before Taylor joined. Since then he has signed and renews and 4 other have signed. Two of whom are on premier league wages.