oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

14 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It was certainly what people were saying about Warnock and the implication was Payero wasn’t playing because he was a foreigner.

Warnocks actual history of signings and playing people doesn’t back up the theory but when things are going bad truth doesn’t matter.

Thats not my recollection.

What most folks on here were saying, if memory serves, is that Warnock wouldn't play Payero because he wasn't one of his signings. Scott brought him in as a future signing, for our post-Warnock era.

That, plus he wasn't really suited to Warnock-ball in any case.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It was certainly what people were saying about Warnock and the implication was Payero wasn’t playing because he was a foreigner.

Warnocks actual history of signings and playing people doesn’t back up the theory but when things are going bad truth doesn’t matter.

People are taking what Warnock himself has said and building that picture based on what's in front of them, it's not entirely without cause. Pretty sure he said something like he didn't like want to make too many signings from outside the UK and the end result shows its because he can't actually integrate them himself. So it's a problem he feels is outside his control. Note how Sporar was never much of a problem? Because his English is fine. So what was Warnock doing to help with that? Nowt, he already didn't give much of a toss about Leo in the grand scheme of things but seemingly handed him the responsibility of looking after Payero, not wanting a thing to do with it.

Then as soon as he did something wrong (which wasn't even his fault) in the Reading game, pretty sure he threw him under the bus and Payero looked legitimately done with being a Middlesbrough player. If he felt it was a language problem and he played him knowing that was an issue, why did he make it a personal attack on the lad when he thought he did something wrong? Is that good man management?  Funny how when he had something bad to say, he couldn't wait to do it but felt like he couldn't do anything about him as a player because his English was virtually non-existent. Not to mention that every occasion Jonny Howson has done something wrong under Warnock, he would sometimes still come out to say he was the best player on the park. If that was my player and I was his manager, I'd take some bloody responsibility on that.

Literally saw it in the warm-ups for the subs at the Riverside too after that, Payero's body language was so clearly void of happiness. The goal he set up against Peterborough, the lad was clearly struggling and let it all out. He wandered over near to the fans and they immediately showed him exactly what he needed; a bit of frigging love. It's not hard to show a bit of empathy and it certainly shouldn't be for a manager with more experience than anyone in sports media dares mention his name without.

Matt Crooks has done more for Payero as a man-manager than Warnock ever did and it shows on and off the pitch. Imagine having a player who isn't even your captain having to take it upon himself to help one of the lads in your dressing room because you've washed your hands of him. Whatever the reason is, it was diabolical from Warnock and I guarantee you he'd accept zero responsibility for that.

• Like 9
On 12/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, Riverside94 said:

Does make me laugh a little.. if Warnock was still in charge fans would be going mental demanding Payero play. 

When Wilder came in Payero was injured for the first few games and missed his chance

5 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

As Anglian has already said, it was about him not being Warnock's signing, not about him being foreign.  Although when the bloke himself says he only wants a couple of signings from outside Britain you could hardly be surprised if some people thought that his nationality mattered.  For what it's worth, he's also not Wilder's signing either...

• Like 1

I wonder if Covid could throw a spanner in our recruitment plans? If we want Premier League players on loan, then clubs that might have been happy to release those players might decide they need to keep them, if they are told they need to play on as long as they have enough players fit. The Premier League could even relax the 25 man rule for named squads in order to ensure that teams don’t call off matches. That could mean someone expecting to go on loan could be kept in case of a Covid outbreak at the club. The League will be desperate to ensure as few postponements as possible.

10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You want to sign 4 strikers?

Think @Donnyboro meant we need 4 strikers at the club as opposed to we need 4 new ones. I think Sporar and Watmore stay and we will get 2 more. I think Uche and Onel will be sold / return to parent club.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Don't see onel going back given his input in the last two games, he's caused a lot of problems

I think yesterday was probably the best we've seen of him under Wilder, maybe because he wasn't coming on with the rest of the team dropping off?

Can't say I was expecting much either, said before the game I think he flatters to deceive a lot but I thought he was really good and quite unlucky not to score himself.

16 hours ago, Changing Times said:

As Anglian has already said, it was about him not being Warnock's signing, not about him being foreign.  Although when the bloke himself says he only wants a couple of signings from outside Britain you could hardly be surprised if some people thought that his nationality mattered.  For what it's worth, he's also not Wilder's signing either...

Obviously the language barrier was an issue too, but it doesn't seem like Warnock went to any great lengths to resolve that.

Be interesting to see how Wilder handles it. It was good to see Payero get on yesterday, even if it was only for a few minutes. At least we know he's available again. Hopefully he'll get the chance to play a bigger role soon.

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic