oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

on the personality stuff, if his Love Island ex is a yardstick to measure the company he keeps, we’ve got a problem. 

Maybe he just thought she said "love Ireland" and that's what endeared him to her??

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

He's just re-followed Brighton but still following us.

I trust Chris and Scott with whatever they decide transfer wise, if Aaron comes then I will cheer him on along with any other player we bring in during the window.

The kid might need a fresh start, I rate Graham Potter highly but sometimes players and managers don't click on a personal level, and Potter seems to be more of a tactical coach while Wilder who is also a great tactician seems to be good with the players on a personal level, knows when an arm around the shoulder is needed rather than a tough talking, and vice versa. 

At his age, he still has the time to do a bit of growing up and hopefully if he does come, there are people in the squad that can help with that. When he made his initial breakthrough, he reminded me a bit of Stephen Bell and would hate to see anyone go down that road again, but with luck he will get a bit more support now. I would like to think that we know what we are getting into with the lad and if they can get a tune out of him then a loan with perm at end would probably be best way to go as it gives both sides chance to have a look at things. Wilder comes across as someone that won't make a snap judgement so if he knuckles down, he has every chance and if he doesn't, then he can go back to being someone else's problem   

• Like 2

Hope there’s nothing in the Gayle rumours personally. At 32 he’s lost pace and past his best. When I’ve seen him play he looks very lightweight and easy to knock off the ball. Can’t see him pressing how Wilder would want him to.

Would much rather take a chance on a left field signing from abroad or quality Premier League loan.

Think it’s exciting to play two up top as it’s easier to recruit for. We don’t need that all in one magical no 9 that can do everything by himself.

UTB

22 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

looks like a player that needs to get away from the area and club to grow up a bit.

worth a punt

Some/most of the players on offer are on 1m A MONTH so I would rather stick with what we got and try bring players in through our academy...just my opinion 

Just now, Barnaby said:

Some/most of the players on offer are on 1m A MONTH so I would rather stick with what we got and try bring players in through our academy...just my opinion 

1m a month?

highly doubt anyone we've been linked with are on 250k a week

also doubt we are willing to pay anyone more than 20k a week.

plus most of our academy (striker) prospects are 18 or under, they need to go out on loan to lower leagues, not sit on our bench, and weaken our team when they come on.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mfcdanny said:

That’s what I’m thinking. Sounds like he has just broke a few covid rules. But how many players have done that? I reckon the majority will break some sort of rules and never get found out. Remember listening to a Norwich podcast with Scott saying background checks on players personalities are just as important than ability. I trust there homework on top of a daft few links coming from Brighton fans. Remember everyone saying the same sort of *** about downing and woodgate when they were here but speaking to lads who know them they couldn’t be any more wrong. I don’t give a *** what players do off the pitch as long as they perform on it.  Anyhow I prefer to see how a player does before they get written off. Half of this Boro squad have been written off at some point. But they look different class under wilder  

In the current situation, what players do off the pitch IS just as important as how they perform on it.

If they can't be trusted to behave responsibly, they risk bringing a Covid outbreak into the club, with its attendant health risks, as well as the inconvenience of postponed matches. 

That said, if Scott is satisfied after doing his background checks then thats fair enough.

• Like 1

I believe Merson had ‘one or two’ off field problems when we signed him, and yet spent the entire season looking like a grown up playing in the under 5s league. He was unbelievable. But now we’re (some of us anyway) are writing off a potential signing because his girlfriend was on tele? Or is it because she was in an unacceptable program? 🤔 He would be an excellent signing if he used to go out with a lass who read the news? Somebody says ‘he’s a tit’, a quick Google search and Bobs your uncle, don’t touch him with a barge pole?! 🙄 

• Like 1

A loan option is a good low risk option really. If they don’t fit in we just won’t play them. There’s a bit of a shift now from the Warnock days with signings in my opinion as well. Now, the onus is on them to perform for us.

With Warnock, we needed players to come in and make an impact and were reliant on hoping that Bolasie and Kebano would find their feet because we had nothing else. 

I think now though, who ever comes in will be expected to perform to earn their place rather than getting a guaranteed starter position. I’m hoping now that the mentality of Connelly would be, you’re not doing us a favour by being here, we’re offering you a chance to prove how good you are. This is how it should be, but not always the vibe I’ve got from our signings on loan. 

Moukoudi, Roberts, Nmecha, Morrison, Bolasie and Kebano. I’d put them in the bracket of ‘doing us a favour’ 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

I believe Merson had ‘one or two’ off field problems when we signed him, and yet spent the entire season looking like a grown up playing in the under 5s league. He was unbelievable. But now we’re (some of us anyway) are writing off a potential signing because his girlfriend was on tele? Or is it because she was in an unacceptable program? 🤔 He would be an excellent signing if he used to go out with a lass who read the news? Somebody says ‘he’s a tit’, a quick Google search and Bobs your uncle, don’t touch him with a barge pole?! 🙄 

Hardly a great comparison.

Merson was a proven, international-class player. He was also apparently one of those addicts whose off-field habits somehow didn't affect his playing. This was also in the time before reality TV and social media and people getting famous despite having no discernible talent.

Connolly is a nobody, relatively speaking. We sadly now live in an era where too many young players think they've made it and are Mister Big, before they've actually done anything worth bragging about.

Given we've signed problematic players before, I don't think its unreasonable for people to have reservations. Still, if Scott thinks he's worth a punt, all we can do is trust his judgement.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic