oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Hardly a great comparison.

Merson was a proven, international-class player. He was also apparently one of those addicts whose off-field habits somehow didn't affect his playing. This was also in the time before reality TV and social media and people getting famous despite having no discernible talent.

Connolly is a nobody, relatively speaking. We sadly now live in an era where too many young players think they've made it and are Mister Big, before they've actually done anything worth bragging about.

Given we've signed problematic players before, I don't think its unreasonable for people to have reservations. Still, if Scott thinks he's worth a punt, all we can do is trust his judgement.

Connolly is a full international for Ireland. He is definitely not a nobody @AnglianRed. I’m surprised at that comment 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lumley?

The one and only time I'll be itk- Lad fell out with Gardner and bowyer after they got him to sign a new deal with the promise of first team opportunity and they never followed through.  Giv

Thing that’s *** me off with this Tav talk is the disrespect from our fans on social media and forums, more so social media but I have seen comments today like ‘ I will drive him there’ in regards to

Posted Images

Just seems a weird signing tbh.

I'm ready to give him a chance but he seems like the type of lad that loves the lifestyle. However you look at it, Teesside isn't the south east or London and doesn't harbour the same glamour. 

But I believe in Wilder/Scott so hopefully they know what they're doing. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised with the Connolly link considering the background personality traits that we were/are led to believe is now an important part of tracking new recruits. I'm onside with Anglian here in that he hasn't achieved anything yet despite his 8 full caps for the ROI and zero goals scored. No disrespect to the ROI but they no longer have a gene pool to be overly fussy about and are selecting Players that being kind are League One standard. We have a history of non scoring Strikers and I'd like to pass on another one.

The citation about the Woodgate stories versus "someone who knows him" and Downing are cringeworthy in defending bringing a potential problem into the Club. I won't bother delving into the Woodgate history as it's been done to death in public and in the courts but heaven help us if that's the height of moral bar we are setting.

On a footballing topic only I wouldn't want to sign Connolly just purely on the basis that he has done nothing and is a likely waste of a shirt number. On the alleged off field issues with him I would prefer it if the Club focussed their attentions on Players who make the news for their on field performances. We are not a Creche or a Rehab unit, the last thing we need to be bringing into the Club right now is a bad apple just when things are clicking and morale is high.

There is a risk that despite having positive role models like Crooks a negative one may turn the heads of some of the more gullible or younger players. That he appears to be a divisive subject before kicking a ball for us has put doubts in my mind about Scott which only adds to the summer recruitment questions on the signing successes which up until now looks more skewed in favour of Warnock. Hope I'm wrong.

57 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Connolly is a full international for Ireland. He is definitely not a nobody @AnglianRed. I’m surprised at that comment 

Well I don't take any notice of the other home nations to be honest. Couldn't name any of their players. They're all nobodies to me. 🤷‍♂️ Well, apart from Gareth Bale...

I also said he was a nobody relatively speaking. You have to agree he's not as well known as Paul Merson.

3 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

never seen him play but since love island was mentioned, i'd rather keep it that way. 

Yep - if they, or any past / current partner has featured on a reality TV show, that should be automatic grounds for exclusion! 😁

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well I don't take any notice of the other home nations to be honest. Couldn't name any of their players. They're all nobodies to me. 🤷‍♂️ Well, apart from Gareth Bale...

I also said he was a nobody relatively speaking. You have to agree he's not as well known as Paul Merson.

You can name at least one, he literally plays for us!

• Like 1

Connoly looked electric in a few games I saw him play in the PL (admittedly a little while ago but he's still young). Reckon a few will be pleasantly surprised.

As for comments on his character, let's trust Wilder on this one. He takes cultural fit very seriously.

• Like 3

Deary me, how negative are folk. Let's give the lad a chance. He's young. Would you not sign Grealish or Foden? Both have behaved terribly over the last year.

Let's see what Wilder can do with him. He looked great in his first PL games. Hopefully we can rebuild him. Likely to be back up to Watmore and Sprorar so low risk but gives us options. Look forward to seeing him at Mansfield next week.

• Like 3

I’d pay no attention to the line about checking players backgrounds and personality off the field. This club has repeatedly said the same thing back at least as far as Robbo.

Edited by GrimsbyBoro
Sppeking
16 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

My personal opinion on Connolly is caught between two stools. If he comes in with his head right and with the I’ll show them attitude, he will rip the championship apart. He really is capable of being that good.

However if he comes in with the big time Charlie attitude, like I believe he has been with Ireland (hence him being dropped for league one players), I wouldn’t want him at Boro.

In the current set up with Wilder in charge he might be a gamble worth taking.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Would you not sign Grealish or Foden? Both have behaved terribly over the last year.

Personally I wouldn't for those very reasons, leadership involves setting standards and ruthlessly enforcing them as Beckham discovered with Fergie, nobody is bigger than the Club.

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'm a bit surprised with the Connolly link considering the background personality traits that we were/are led to believe is now an important part of tracking new recruits. I'm onside with Anglian here in that he hasn't achieved anything yet despite his 8 full caps for the ROI and zero goals scored. No disrespect to the ROI but they no longer have a gene pool to be overly fussy about and are selecting Players that being kind are League One standard. We have a history of non scoring Strikers and I'd like to pass on another one.

The citation about the Woodgate stories versus "someone who knows him" and Downing are cringeworthy in defending bringing a potential problem into the Club. I won't bother delving into the Woodgate history as it's been done to death in public and in the courts but heaven help us if that's the height of moral bar we are setting.

On a footballing topic only I wouldn't want to sign Connolly just purely on the basis that he has done nothing and is a likely waste of a shirt number. On the alleged off field issues with him I would prefer it if the Club focussed their attentions on Players who make the news for their on field performances. We are not a Creche or a Rehab unit, the last thing we need to be bringing into the Club right now is a bad apple just when things are clicking and morale is high.

There is a risk that despite having positive role models like Crooks a negative one may turn the heads of some of the more gullible or younger players. That he appears to be a divisive subject before kicking a ball for us has put doubts in my mind about Scott which only adds to the summer recruitment questions on the signing successes which up until now looks more skewed in favour of Warnock. Hope I'm wrong.

Cringeworthy? Why would that make you cringe? Fair enough saying that you don’t beleive it but making you cringe? 🤣 like reading war and peace reading that post. 

• Downsouth changed the title to The January Transfer Window thread 2022 - That's all folks!
  • Downsouth locked this topic