oneBoro Forum

Luton vs Boro 3-1 (Coburn)

1134674720_lutonvboro2.PNG.93c3b48c3cdb45aa53e3a1bdce331783.PNG

RECAP

After the shambles of Saturday's game against Birmingham, Boro will appropriately be spending Tuesday in the dog house (Kennel Woof Road - geddit?)

Tortured puns aside, Boro were given a big dose of reality at the weekend, after a run of 3 wins in a row against against teams who could well be relegation contenders this season. Although most of us weren't fooled by our sudden jump up the league table, the sorry second half performance was a sobering reminder to keep our expectations low. Which would have been easier to swallow, had we not looked quite decent in the first half, threatening to make it 4 wins on the bounce.

THE GAME

The midweek trip to Luton will be a test of Boro's "bouncebackability" and should be a decent marker of just how bad (or merely average) we can expect the rest of the season to be. The Hatters are having a decent season so far and have a solid home record, their only defeat on home soil being the 0-5 thrashing by Birmingham. Boro will have their work cut out to get anything from this one I feel. Stats-wise there isn't a lot to separate the teams, but the hosts have played better opposition and were unbeaten in 4 games, before losing at Preston at the weekend.

504429172_LutonBoroLeagueForm.PNG.93f92e23bedcc579c9727d1dd00ea40f.PNG

image.png.d7b7226910c57b86ea717e0604449fcb.png

HISTORICAL HEAD-TO-HEAD

Boro and Luton have rarely been in the same league. Consequently they have only played each other 31 times in all competitions, the bulk of those being in the old Division 2, between 1899 and 1974. There were a grand total of 8 encounters in the old Division 1, between 1974 and 1995. The two teams would not meet again until the Hatters gained promotion to the Championship in 2019. Since then, the clubs have faced each other 4 times.

Boro's overall record: W10 D8 L13

Boro at home: W6 D4 L5

Boro away: W4 D4 L8

Our recent worst result was a 5-1 thrashing in 1994. Before that you have to go back to 1960 when they beat us 6-1. Boro's biggest ever win was a 3-0 victory in the FA cup in...1892! Aside from that our wins have all been by the odd goal.

VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE

EDIT: Managed to find this rather old-looking, unofficial forum. Call themselves The Luton Outlaws. Not a big thread yet, but they reckon we've sold most of our ticket allocation. Some chat about parmos too...

https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/thread/1635417383.html

"FUN" FACTOIDS

The town is believed to have been founded some time in the 6th century by Anglo-Saxons.

Luton is famous for its hat-making industry...hence their nickname (although the saying, "mad as a hatter" is believed to have been inspired by one Theophilus Carter, a furniture maker from Oxford, who developed the habit of standing outside his shop, wearing a top hat, regardless of whatever else he was wearing).

They were also where Vauxhall located one of its car plants, before moving it to neighbouring Bedford.

Local attractions include Whipsnade Zoo and Woburn Safari Park.

QUESTIONS

1. Warnock out (if so, who would you replace him with)?

2. Man marking is a dinosaur tactic that has no place in the modern game...discuss.

3. Have you ever owned a Vauxhall, if so was it any good?

4. Do you own any hats...if so, what kind?

5. Can you maintain any interest in this season, knowing we're just waiting for the New Messiah to take over (whoever that may be)?

6. Starting XI and formation?

• Like 8
  • AnglianRed changed the title to Luton vs Boro
  • Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RECAP After the shambles of Saturday's game against Birmingham, Boro will appropriately be spending Tuesday in the dog house (Kennel Woof Road - geddit?) Tortured puns aside, Boro were given

This is a very poor take 

We don't play to sporar strength his movement is class and he made the goal last night 

Posted Images

Great post pal. Well done.

1. Not yet. Ask me again Sunday haha.

2. I am a fan of man marking IF players stick to they men like *** on a blanket. If you all mark men properly then chances of a goal are very slim as open space is not going to put the ball in the net.

3. A cavalier. Solid car.

4. I am a big fan of flat caps as it covers up my ugly mug rather effectively.

5. Based on what NW said post match I think he will go with following:

Daniels

Dijksteel Paddy Bamba Peltier

Crooks Howson Saliki

Tav Sporar Onel.

I hope we can put in a classic away performance.

• Like 1

Good job AR.

It's not too late to make the change and if the right person was available then yes. Do it.
Poach Marco Bielsa from Leeds.

2. Man marking is a dinosaur tactic that has no place in the modern game...discuss.

Looking at the shambles we have put out recently when using this tactic  I think the question answers itself.

My first car. Vauxhaul Viva SL. Loved it. Even when it fell to bits. (Strange story but after a night out in York I went back to the car and found that for some reason the accelerator was working the opposite way round? When pressed down the engine idled. When released the engine revved it's *** off. Ever tried driving when you had to raise the clutch and accelerator at the same time??? Pretty mental.)

Only a hard hat.

5. Can you maintain any interest in this season, knowing we're just waiting for the New Messiah to take over (whoever that may be)?

It is difficult to raise my interest to more than a meh. But I still can't stop myself from checking to see how the game is going if I get the chance.

Still trying to figure out why we changed the set up that we had when we had a 3 win streak. Go back to that.

I would like to see us revert back to the team that got us that 3 win streak. Then we will find out if it is a decent team or if it was just the low quality of the opposition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the three Age Uk members will have had three days to come with a formation and a team to beat Luton. You never know what to expect these days. Just hope we can get back to winning ways, as the second half on Saturday was not acceptable. 

• Like 1

Need to get something out of this game and right now would be happy with a point (well overdue for a draw)

Otherwise toxic times are here again!

The whole team needs to make amends for Saturday's showing

• Like 1

According to the press conference this morning,Uche is unlikely to start,Payero is also a slight doubt and Dijks may not be ready yet. None of the other injured  players close to returning. Never rains eh?

Great post and a good follow on from previous well constructed and interesting ones. 

I will not reply to all the questions but, 

Chasing a man around a park for doing nothing intentional is harassment and a criminal offence. Why NW reverted back to playing tag is bewildering. 

I wore caps around Asia only because it protected the head from the sun and absorbed sweat but and only a few years latter I wear a flat cap because my hair fell out with age. My brother hair is full and thick and another reason I think he was the milkman’s. Accounts for the free milk and cream we had delivered. Sorry mum only joking.. 

I have wrote off this game and the next. I might just as well tune in and get wound up listening to sour face Gretna 

200.gif

Edited by sanddancer

Yes 100%, we will continue playing the odds and relying on the opposition being poor rather than us being good until he's gone. Howe would be choice number 1 but I don't think we'd attract him. Wilder wouldn't bring free flowing, attacking football but he would vastly improve us, give us a clear identity and gameplan and I think McNair might be tailormade for his overlapping CB schtick, so I'd go for him for a more realistic shout.

I can see its purpose in trying to disrupt a particular outlet (i.e. Fisher on Cantwell vs Norwich last season), but when the whole team is man marking fully agree. A team with an opposition coach with any intelligence will just instruct players to rotate to create openings. Man marking also needlessly expends energy rather than passing the man on. For me it's a contributing factor to why we pick up so many injuries and make so many mistakes later on. 

Na

Warm beanies for the chrome dome.

Always interested, just wish we were interesting!

6. Starting XI and formation

-------------------Daniels--------------------

Howson---McNair--Bamba---Peltier*

-----------------------Crooks------------------

-------------Tav---------------Payero--------

Hernandez-----Sporar--------Jones

*replace with Bola if fit, idk any update on his injury tho.

Daniels in as I don't think you can let in the 2 goals Lumley did at the weekend and keep your place. Saying that Bettinelli did every week last season and still played soooo...

Howson *** us up when he plays midfield as every ball just gets lumped at the striker or in the channel. Genuinely think he does better at rb these days.

Would like to see both Jones and Hernandez play and both as out and out wingers. Would be nice to see us carry an attacking threat down both flanks.

Think Tav is best in the middle, and there'd be less chances for him to do the old 'cut inside and slap it 10 yards over' shtick he's been doing of late! Playing him in midfield makes best use of his workrate, passing and vision.

Would be a pacey and attack oriented side but can't see it happening in a million years. Fully expecting 5 at the back and a midfield duo of Howson/Crooks.

• Like 2

If the opportunity presented itself to act before season's end, I would appoint Nigel Pearson, for three reasons:

1. the foundations he laid at Leicester, which always get overlooked

2. because he wouldn't accept on-pitch apathy of the form we see so often, and

3  because we seem to like appointing defenders as managers.

2. Man marking is a dinosaur tactic that has no place in the modern game...discuss.

Completely agree. End of discussion.

Not owned one but worked in the motor trade for a few years and found the entire range dull as ditchwater, especially the wretched Agila. Even the much-vaunted Astra Coupe was boring to look at, sit in and drive. And don't get me started on the Vectra - fourteen feet of wallpaper paste.

One Metallica baseball cap, one woolly hat with a little horse logo on it. You know the one.

I will always care about the Boro, but life's too short to watch boring crap football. I've been spending matchdays with the family and having a lot more fun. Judging by the pitifully low post count on this thread, I'm not alone in my growing indifference!

442, with Howson at RB, Uche nowhere near the XI and Watmore up front with Sporar. I would also tell every single player that if they don't win, Leo will pee in their boots before the next game and they'll have to spend an entire match with soggy smelly socks.

Daniels
Howson, Bamba, McNair, Peltier 
Crooks
Tav, Payero
Jones, Sporar, Hernandez

WARNOCK OUT! 

I have a few caps and a Boro beanie

Man marking, not a fan of it ... 

I have paid for the full season, and I always watch the games .. But it's not very interesting at times.

Last time I visited Middlesbrough I rented an Astra for a week.

First car Vauxhall Viva and later on Cavalier and final Vauxhall a Beaumont Estate, good for the kids and towing caravans.

Hats baseball, woolley hats in winter and I do have a wide brimmed Geoff Boycott style hat to wear in the intense sun

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Warnock out man marking bad dad had a Vauxhall Cavalier never owned one myself don't suit hats feeling a bit jaded about the Boro hence this reply ok bye

Posh lad, eh? My dad could only afford a Belmont. I dreamed of having a Cavvy on the drive...

• Downsouth changed the title to Luton vs Boro 3-1 (Coburn)