oneBoro Forum

WBA v Boro 1-1 (Coburn)

After 3 wins on the bounce the feel good factor had returned to the Riverside & hopefully we, the fans, could look at the keeping with chasing pack over the next few weeks, fortunately 2 poor defeats on the bounce followed & the feel good factor was gone, we now see ourselves sitting in 14th place in the Championship & looking at the wrong end of the table

Away to Luton, we started off so well with Josh Coburn scoring his 3rd goal of the season on his 1st full start for the club when he put us 1-0 up & as the teams left the field at HT, we were sitting in 6th place in the Championship

As the 2nd half got underway & like Birmingham at home at the weekend, we found ourselves behind when Luton scored 2 goals in 3 minutes, leaving the Boro with a mountain to climb & worse was the follow not long after, we conceded a third & game over

With 2 wins & a draw from our last 3 visits to the Hawthorns we’ll need to be strong & disciplined if we want to continue that impressive run

Who does NW go with, what formation will he choose?

The 1st fixture between these two team in the west midlands was on the 14th December 1901 with Boro losing 2-0

WBA v Boro fixture will be 47th fixture at the Hawthorns between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won - 11

Drew - 11

Lost  - 24

Goals scored - 43

Goals against - 70

A number of players who played for both team

David Mills: Played for the Boro in two separate spells, 1st spell between 1968-1979, playing 296 games & scoring 76 goals, he scored the only goal at Luton in 1974 to clinch the Boro the 2nd Championship, he asked for a transfer in 76 & the club put a £200k transfer fee on him, there were no takers, he eventually moved to WBA in 79, Ron Atkinson paying an English transfer fee of £500k & between 1979 -82 he played 59 games scoring 6 goals for West Brom. The late, great Willie Maddren re-signed DM for the Boro for season 1984-85 where he played 32 games, scoring 14 goals.

Bryan Robson: Robbo played 198 games for West Brom scoring 40 goals, he then signed for Man United where he stayed until 1994 when the chance to become player manager at the Boro was too good an opportunity for him & signed for the Boro between 1995 -2001, playing 28 games & scoring one goal, a thunder bolt at the east end seats of AP against Port Vale. BR brought something to the club that, as a long serving fan, I thought I would never see following my club, playing in a major cup final at Wembley, whatever the results he gave us all dreams  

Tony Mowbray: Mogga played 348 games between1982-1991 for Boro scoring 25 goals, September 1982 Willie Maddren gave Mowbray his debut away to Newcastle, his role was to man mark Kevin Keegan, it worked, KK didn’t score & we come away with a 1-1 draw. Mowbary left the Boro for Celtic & once his playing career was over managed a few team, WBA being one of them, he returned to the Boro as manager between 2010 -2013

James Morrison: Played 66 games for the Boro between 2004-07 scoring 3 goals, his claim to fame, on the 30 September 2004 in a UEFA Cup tie, away at Banik Ostrava & making his EUFA cup debut, he scored the Boro’s 1st ever away goal in our UEFA cup campaign. Morrison started for Middlesbrough in the 2006 UEFA Cup Final against Sevilla. In 2007 he left the Boro for WBA for £1.5M & to date played 254 games, scoring 28 goals, he got sent off in an FA Cup quarter-final replay against Manchester United for a kick out at Cristiano Ronaldo.

Jonathan Greening: Played 99 games for the Boro, between 2001-2004 scoring 4 goals, he signed for the Boro along with a united teammate of his, Mark Wilson, for a combined fee of £3M, he was voted Club player of the Year for 2002–03 and also selected for the full England squad (though he didn’t play). JG signed for WBA & between 2004-2010 played 196 games, scoring 7 goals.

Chris Brunt: at the Boro between 2002-2004  never got any game time, after a few seasons at Sheff Weds he was transferred to WBA in 2007, where he is still playing, CB has played 286 games, scoring 39 goals.

Alan Miller, our 42nd differnt goalkeeper played 62 times for the Boro BETWEEN 1994 & 1997, Alan had 3 separate spells at WBA, a loan spell before joining the Boro & while at the Boro he went to WBA on loan before signing permanently in 1997, playing a total of 108 games

Hattricks v WBA 

3rd September 1921 - Andrew ‘Nesbit’ Wilson (the 1st player to return to the mighty Boro) scored our 1st HT v WBA in a 3-2 home win. Andrew Wilson became the 12th different Boro player to score a 1st team HT, our 21st at AP & 29th in total

3rd December 1932 - Harold Blackmore scored a HT in a 3-1 home win. Harold became the 20th different Boro player to score a 1st team HT, our 40th at AP & 54th in total

1st January 1936 - George Camsell scored a HT in a 3-1 home win over WBA. George Camsell became the 17th different Boro player to score a 1st team HT, our 44th at AP & 59th in total

4 goals v WBA

7th May 1938 -  Micky Fenton became the 8th differnt Boro player when he bagged all goals in a 4-1 home win over WBA, our 16th total at the time 

Penalties v WBA

5th January 1935 George Camsell away lost 5-3

19th September Lindy Delapenha away won 3-2

16th May 1974 John Hickton away won 4-0

14th September 1994 Craig Hignett home won 2-1

27th November 2005 Yakubu home drew 2-2

17th February 2007 Yakubu home drew 2-2

31st January 2017 Negrado home 1-1 

Did you know:

1st April 1937 Harold Shepherdson made his Boro debut away to WBA in a 3-0 defeat

September 1977 seen Billy Ashcroft  & Cyril Regis make their debut’s in this fixture at the Hawthorns, with the late, great Willie Maddren playing his final Boro game 

On the 17th October 1987 - Colin Cooper scored his 1st Boro league goal with a last minute winner at home to WBA 

UTMB 

Blast from the past 

WBA March 1974.JPG

• Like 4
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 points from 21 games against the sides currently ranked above us in the table this season. good chance it will be 2 from 24 after saturday. (tho due to us moving down the table, eventually a side wh

That really looked like a goodbye to me, anyone else see that 

You could try and do it in a clever way so that it looks like you're praising him but aren't.  If for example I said that nobody is better than Neil Warnock, well you can read it like he's the best. 

Posted Images

Think that game at WBA was when most of us realised that we were going to be promoted. Probably the most dominant away performance I have ever seen...   for at least four days when we went to Fulham and did it again. Three forwards that were willing to look for the ball and do whatever job Jack gave them, fondly remembered. If we had taken all our chances that day, it would have been a proverbial cricket score as their Keeper had a blinder despite the result

• Like 1

Shep's debut in 1937 (a bad day - it was the day that Sunderland won the 1937 FA Cup Final).

Credit to British Newspaper Archive.

Harold Shepherdson was another great guy. He once not only got me the autographs of the whole of the 1971/72 Boro squad but even bought the autograph book he got them to sign and gave me it with some original Boro shirt badges.

BL_0000653_19370501_094_0004.pdf

Just looking at the league table there.  With three points for a win we'd be on 70 points from 32 games, 13 points clear of second place and 18 points clear of third.  On course for a 100 point season in this day and age, which is the equivalent of what we ended up with our 65 point final total from 42 games.  Some team 🙂

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Just looking at the league table there.  With three points for a win we'd be on 70 points from 32 games, 13 points clear of second place and 18 points clear of third.  On course for a 100 point season in this day and age, which is the equivalent of what we ended up with our 65 point final total from 42 games.  Some team 🙂

We tailed off a bit towards the end of the season because we had a rookie manager who wasn't really up to the job.

Ah it brings back memories of joy the good feeling factor confident of a win. Just for those younger generation that may not have experienced. 
A win means an occasion when someone wins a game or competition: It was the team's sixth consecutive win this season. 
Walking to a ground listening to the banter with no care in the world, light hearted and spring in your stride. The crowd awash with team colours bellowing there support so loud it made your hair stand on end. “We are the Ayresome angles and we never mis a match” OOooooo goose bumps! 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1

God only knows what the team will look like. Hopefully Uche & Payero will be fit. Crooks will be a big loss, ( what a stupid booking that was) Will Siliki get a start?. Could Dijksteel even start in midfield? I think he has done so in the past with Charlton.

I know injuries can be an easy excuse but this is extreme. 

I've watched every minute of Boro this season one way or another but not sure I can be bothered with this one. Getting thumped I reckon. This is the first promotion-quality side we've played in ages, key players are missing, and confidence is rock bottom.

Our mentality to dig in and recover from bad moments just isn't there.  Maybe we should invest in a sports psychologist? Worked wonders for the England camp.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Leesider said:

God only knows what the team will look like. Hopefully Uche & Payero will be fit. Crooks will be a big loss, ( what a stupid booking that was) Will Siliki get a start?. Could Dijksteel even start in midfield? I think he has done so in the past with Charlton.

I know injuries can be an easy excuse but this is extreme. 

Dijksteel was a midfielder converted to a RB halfway through the season before we signed him in the summer as Charlton had an injury crisis.

Wouldn't be the most ridiculous thing to do to put Howson at RB and play Dijksteel in the middle of the park. He can tackle, hold off players and is comfortable making runs with the ball at his feet.

Whether he could pick out a killer pass remains to be seen but let's face it only Payero looks capable of that in the present squad.

• Downsouth changed the title to WBA v Boro 1-1 (Coburn)